Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What vintage super car did I see?

ringo

Macaroni cheese controller
I followed an incredibly beautiful old (1960's) sports car near St Pauls earlier this week. Looked a little like the ferrari below but it wasn't a Ferrari and I couldn't make out the badge. It was a light blue/grey colour. Can't think of other cars of a similar style and age it could have been. Anyone else seen it around the city? Any ideas?

Ferrari_250_GTO.jpg

or if it was one of these tell me where so i can steal it

8752220003_large.jpg

The car you saw might well have been one of the later model E Type Jaguars (personally, I prefer the middle period E Types as the early ones were appalling to drive and later models didn't have the classic E Type lines).

The car above is a replica Jaguar XJ13. The XJ13 project was a single sportscar prototype intended for a return to Le Mans by Jaguar during the mid-1960's. Sadly, the Automobile Club de L'ouest (organisers of the Le Mans 24 Hours) altered the rules and technical specs so that the XJ13 wouldn't qualify and so the project was scrapped. There's only one original XJ13 that's owned by the Jaguar Heritage Trust after it was rebuilt, having been destroyed in a 174mph crash during a test at the MIRA test track in Wales, all the others pootling around are replicas and a good replica will set you back at least 80,000 pounds. The good news is that the normal replica version pulls about 500bhp, but if you give it to the Jaguar engineers for tuning they'll return it to you topping out at about 700bhp (this in a car that in fully stripped down race spec would weigh rather less than a ton).

Which is nice.

The car you saw might well have been one of the later model E Type Jaguars (personally, I prefer the middle period E Types as the early ones were appalling to drive and later models didn't have the classic E Type lines).

The car above is a replica Jaguar XJ13. The XJ13 project was a single sportscar prototype intended for a return to Le Mans by Jaguar during the mid-1960's. Sadly, the Automobile Club de L'ouest (organisers of the Le Mans 24 Hours) altered the rules and technical specs so that the XJ13 wouldn't qualify and so the project was scrapped. There's only one original XJ13 that's owned by the Jaguar Heritage Trust after it was rebuilt, having been destroyed in a 174mph crash during a test at the MIRA test track in Wales, all the others pootling around are replicas and a good replica will set you back at least 80,000 pounds. The good news is that the normal replica version pulls about 500bhp, but if you give it to the Jaguar engineers for tuning they'll return it to you topping out at about 700bhp (this in a car that in fully stripped down race spec would weigh rather less than a ton).

Which is nice.

Cheers, I knew it wasn't what I think of as an e-type but the grill on the bonnet does ring a bell and the shape is very similar, so also a possibility. Probably more likely than the Marcos, but around the city you see the rarer stuff so who knows.

Cheers, I knew it wasn't what I think of as an e-type but the grill on the bonnet does ring a bell and the shape is very similar, so also a possibility. Probably more likely than the Marcos, but around the city you see the rarer stuff so who knows.

Did I also mention that it has a 4.5 litre supercharged V12 with quadruple Weber carbureteurs?

Did I also mention that it has a 4.5 litre supercharged V12 with quadruple Weber carbureteurs?

The XJ13 had a 5.0l V12 that was naturally aspirated - no supercharger. The prototype engines used 6 x Stromberg downdraft carbs but the final iteration used Lucas mechanical fuel injection.

I had no idea. Just thought Bugatti were Italian and Bugatti blue was Italian blue. Live and learn. Today's bit of useless internet information :D

the final iteration used Lucas mechanical fuel injection

How on earth did they manage to crash it at 170+? Heck, how did they even get it rolling in the first place? :p

Back
Top Bottom