Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What happened to the Clarks/Webster shop?

kalibuzz

downtown
Went past the other day and saw closing down signs, is it really going for good? It's like a Brixton institution , especially if you have kids and need to get their feet measured. What next ? :confused:

As mentioned on these here boards, the boss is retiring and none of his family are wanting to take it on :(

That's a real shame, the mayhem in there at the end of the summer holidays was something else and the ladies working in there always calm and slow lol

That's a real shame, the mayhem in there at the end of the summer holidays was something else and the ladies working in there always calm and slow lol

Quite amazing that it actually is closed and doesn't have one of those "closing down" stickers in the window for years like some shops have :D

That's why it comes a bit as a surprise and I was wondering if something else went on (sudden rent rise or the likes), after so many years and their Brixton connections (like the newspaper cutting with Blacker Dread) they could have at least had a leaving bash!?!

I've written a piece on my blog to commemorate this fine old Brixton institution. Hopefully we'll get a few more peopel adding their memories to this thread.

websters-brixton-closes-2.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/websters-shoe-shop-closes-for-after-140-years-of-service-to-brixton/

Sad to see them go even though Clarks have been made in China for some time now. Production went east, prices stayed the same and quality went south.
Chaps of this parish are directed towards Mens Traditional Shoes, 171 Camberwell Rd. SE5 0HB 020 7703 4179 where Fred the Shoe will furnish you with high quality English mens shoes at the keenest prices.

http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2009/04/09/mens-traditional-shoes-of-south-london/

Personally I find Lordship Lane and Northcote Road to be very very similar although Northcote Road seems to be wealthier. I don't know what the shoe shops are like on Northcote Road though as I avoid going there as much because I can't stand the journey there if I take the bus. I'll sometimes walk to Lordship Lane. But I do like this particular family-run, old school shoe shop. So I guess ease of transport and wanting to use that kind of shop are what take me there.

It's funny really because how you see Lordship Lane, I pretty much see Northcote Road. But then I remember Lordship Lane as a teenager and still see a bit of that when I go there. I never really went as far West as Northcote Road.

I bought my childrens school shoes there, right through their childhoods. I'll miss that shop and Mr W. in particular.

Feet can get measured in the Clarks outlet in Peckham and they also usually have at least one style of school shoes available, not much choice but cheap. Or ,knowing the size, Vauxhall / Brixton market shoe sellers. No one needs Dulwich nor Northcote rd, the pity is to lose a real old school business in Brixton that actually had links into all parts of the community

I can recommend the Clark's outlet in Peckham, even though the service is nothing like you get at Webster's.

actually I've heard a few people talk about this too - and bus-able also and the in-laws live there - so maybe we'll try that next.

Kalibuzz, we, like most people I imagine already buy other shoes elsewhere once we have the sizing, but I do try and make sure she has one decent pair of fitted shoes, not least because like her mother she has annoyingly wide feet - so most of the fashion shoes are too narrow for her. Where I buy them is more or less dictated by the buses or where I can walk to (or cycle under more normal circumstances).

I also think (and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular) that discounting a family business located in an area which has become more gentrified around it - simply on that basis - or on any other basis for which it's not really responsible, is a little unfair! So despite the fact I will have to suffer the derision of going to East Dulwich.. *shock horror* to buy shoes for my daughter.. I'd be upset to see another Websters style business disappear in South London so I'll keep going I think.

Anyway, don't really want to turn this into yet another anti-snobbery post-code war thread... :D

tragic. not least because we now have to endure Northcote Rd for kids' shoes

I used to loathe Northcote Rd, until a friend pointed out that, if I'd taken a very slightly different path in life, I would have ended up like the people there.

Now I like visiting Northcote Rd because I can feel slightly superior.

Very sad to see Webster's closing. And that no-one wants to take on the business.

Leanderman, shun not the suggestion of John Barnett in Lordship Lane - it is an old skool shop, an independent family businesss, wide range of shoes, and was there long before the ED effect took hold. Also it is up the other end, past the proper hardware shop. And you can park for free in ED, rather than pay the blighted borough Tories to park round Northcott Rd.

And then you could spend the parking money by taking the children to a fabulous cafe for chi chi cake

And then you could spend the parking money by taking the children to a fabulous cafe for chi chi cake

:D actually it is also really handy for either Peckham Rye, Dulwich Park or Goose Green too which I like. But there's definitely lots of cake options too.

John Barnett is right at the south end of the main drag of Lordship Lane shops - plan your jouney well & you could even get there via the backstreets ;).

I was one of the people who took my child in to Websters to get her feet measured - because the staff were so great with kids - and then would often buy cheaper shoes elsewhere if I was skint :oops:. But when I had a bit more money I always looked there first for shoes, so I don't feel too guilty, and I'd often recommend the shop to other people.

I'm sorry to see Websters go, but I suppose you can't force your offspring to run shoe shops, much as I wish it could have carried on for another generation.

Nooooo, I've only just seen this thread! I've been getting my shoes from there for years and years, even before it was Webster's and used to be a Clarks and you had to go down stairs to get children’s shoes.
Mr W is a lovely guy, always very helpful, such a shame this has closed...

Back
Top Bottom