Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

We're running out of fish.

bluestreak

HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica
http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...generation-that-runs-out-of-fish-1697247.html

The science is pretty accurate on this one. So what do we do? Will Rich Countries accept the need to reduce fish intake, damaging jobs, the economy, and resisting the all powerful consumer demand?

Or will we fish out our oceans and watch the most important of the world's eco-systems collapse and hope we can deal with the outcomes?

What practical solutions are out there (i.e. liberalish mainstream acceptable ones)?

Ending fishing subsidies would be a step in the right direction. Not only are they fishing stocks to extinction but we are paying for them to do it via the EU.

Kill the pescetarians. And the Japanese.

Sadly, I doubt there's much we can effectively do fast enough. I just don't see the international cooperation and willingness to change the present systems. I feel a bit powerless to be honest - buying fish largely makes me feel guilty these days, even the MSC certified stuff doesn't fill me with confidence.

We should be eating a wider variety that's for sure. It pisses me off that the supermarkets stock cod all over the place and barely even offer coley as an alternative, let alone promoting it. And it's about time we stopped being so prissy about dolphin too.

This reminds me:

My dad (who is into marine conservation and all that) sent me the link for this film:

http://endoftheline.com/

If you really want to know what’s happening to the worlds sea’s & Oceans. If you would like to continue to eat fish & shellfish.

If you would like your grandchildren not to be able to blame you for the state of our sea’s

If press releases like last weeks from the Scottish Fishermen’s Federation & Richard Lochhead telling you to EAT MORE FISH just confuse you.

Watch this film.

It premiers at the Glasgow Film Theatre on the 8th

http://www.gft.org.uk/content/default.asp?page=s4_1&filmid=41534&filmview=&weekid=0&date=6/8/2009

with Q&A session after.

It is also showing at the Ritzy from Monday the 8th, also with Q&A session after:

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/news_item.aspx?venueId=ritz&id=1725

Other screenings here:

http://endoftheline.com/screenings/

I've got apocalypse overload. There's only so many things, that I can be conscious of, being about to completely fucking collapse at one time. Peak oil, smoke'n'mirrors economic growth, pandemics, dying bees, a nuclear N Korea, global warming, killer space-monkeys etc. Half the time I think fish just fall off my radar.

I'm off to the chippy for cod & chips in a bit. I've started eating as much cod as possible so I can enjoy it while it lasts.

we're doomed really, don't think anything can be done to stop it, apart from the inevitable drastic reduction in human population (or even extinction) that will happen sooner rather than later.

It's easy to go vegan, the only difficult bit is shifting the general public's misconceptions

Judging by your attitude to the fish crisis, I don't think it's the public that's got the biggest problem here.
I do

People are too unwilling to sacrifice luxuries like fish and other meat, even when they know the effect their habit has on the environment and ecosystems. Sounds like a pretty big problem to me.

I was vegan for four years, never really fancied fish except during times when nothing else was available, but I wonder what effect would be had on marine ecosystems if everyone gave up fish for that long? Or even just one year?

The film of The End of the Line will be interesting: Charles Clover's book of the same title, which came out a few years ago, is also well worth a read.

A. Eat less fish.

It's pretty much as simple as this. That said, it's also a matter of being better informed about what fish on offer is being sustainably caught and what isn't. But it's a complicated subject, the situation changes quite fast and there's a lot of misinformation and greenwash about.

Re. means of cutting overfishing, there's no silver bullet and no one measure that works alone. Quota systems are all very well, but getting the quotas right in the first place is extremely difficult since fish stock modelling is a fairly inexact science, and even if the quotas are okay then they need to be enforced. And they need to be used intelligently in conjunction with other tools such as restrictions on inputs - days at sea, size and type of gear and so on. It's immensely complicated. Some pretty good fisheries management regimes do exist, but they're in the minority.

In Europe, the Common Fisheries Policy has been pretty much a complete failure. It's up for reform in 2012, but that's unlikely to solve all of its problems. Some of the policy tools it uses are okay (although the quota regime is rubbish: it doesn't allow landings of bycatch, which is why a lot is thrown back), but it's got too many players and too many vested interests in keeping the status quo.

The other scandal is that, with European fish stocks in a state, European countries (and others) have been buying access to the territorial waters of poorer nations, especially west African states. Management regimes are usually non-existent or slackly enforced, and high-tech vessels are pretty much free to do immense damage to the fish stocks and often to the local artisan fisheries.

Also, over the last fifty years it's become possible to fish off the continental shelf, exploiting very deep-sea species that weren't targeted before. Very little is known about a lot of these, and what effect the fishing is having on them. Even if it could be established that stocks are becoming depleted, however, it's hard to manage the fishing because it takes place on the high seas, not in anyone's territorial waters.

I read in a UN FAO report a few years ago that there are few known commercial fish stocks that aren't being exploited at or above sustainable levels, and that's not changed and IMHO nor is it likely to soon, although there have been some successes. It's a very worrying situation...

good, it'll teach people a lesson. the ultimate lesson. that is do not fuck with nature or you die.

I wonder if we should encourage fish farming? If more fish were farmed, then surely there'd be less incentive to take natural resources? Given the current 2 million unemployed, they could do this under cover of job creation. I mean, isn't the fishing industry a classic case of the tragedy of the commons?

I wonder if we should encourage fish farming? If more fish were farmed, then surely there'd be less incentive to take natural resources? Given the current 2 million unemployed, they could do this under cover of job creation. I mean, isn't the fishing industry a classic case of the tragedy of the commons?
Is it ecologically sustainable? Is it healthy? Is it really necessary...?

Just eat less fish. Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom