Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wales wins its first Gold

Funnier than he thinks he is.
Nicole Cooke women's road race. This could be interseting, will she take a banned Welsh flag on podium!!

From the Guardian:

"Our plan went back more than 12 months in terms of what we were going to do today," an ebullient Cooke, 25, said after winning the women's 126-km Olympic road race.
"Sharon (Laws) and Emma (Pooley) and I were all part of a team and we all knew we were good riders but the best chance we had was to ride together ... and try to win as a team," she said. "Riding as a team was the best way to be successful."
With the British women riding consistently at the front of the pack throughout the race, Pooley launched an attack on the second and final lap of a 24-km circuit at the Great Wall.
The attack caught Russian Natalia Boyarskaya and set Cooke up to join another attack group just a few kilometres from the finish.
Cooke then launched a fierce sprint for the last hundred metres and narrowly edged out Sweden's Emma Johansson, who took the silver, and Tatiana Guderzo of Italy, who finished third.
"Everything went according to plan," Laws said. "We're very pleased."
Britain's coach, Dave Brailsford, said: "It wasn't just her. The whole team got it spot on."

I love it when Wales claims something like this from a team sport:D

Maybe they should give the medal to the team then?

It's actually something I've always wondered about. Most of the time in the Olympics and Cycling World Championships you can almost guarantee that the winner will come from a strong team, hence Italy's brilliant record and why a Spanish rider had a good chance of winning the men's race as their team was awesome. It was also a big factor in why Sastre beat Evans in this year's tour and every winner for the past 20 years apart from Greg Lemond had arguably the best team behind them.

It's one of the quirks of the sport that although it is very much a team event, the medal is given to the first across the line.

I know you're excited about someone who was born in Wales winning a medal but to call it a Welsh as opposed to British victory is erroneous.

I know you're excited about someone who was born in Wales winning a medal but to call it a Welsh as opposed to British victory is erroneous.

Until the IOC decide to give a team rather than individual medal then gold was won by a welsh sportswoman.

I dont make the rules :p

I am happy for Team GB but I am also more than happy for Nicole to 'claim' the gold for Wales if she wants to. And I think she should be allowed to take the Wales flag to the podium if she wishes

Tbh if I were ever in that position I would claim it for Yorkshire as well as the GB :D

Funny i ain't heard one of you say 'well done GB'. :cool: But well done anyways.

Well I'm no fan of the Union Jack or BBC jingoism or whatever but I tell you what, after having experience of being a humble club cyclist and seeing the efforts put in by the likes of ole Jim who was president of our club it makes me VERY proud of British cycling. There's hundred of people like him around the country helping riders out financially, cooking them dinners, driving them to races at a time when no one cared or gave a fuck about cycling in this country.
In the past few years it has improved with a little lottery cash and Dave Brailsford and his team upping the ante.
But even with that support and organisation on board, let's not forget we did it against nations like France, Italy etc etc who all give cyclists a lot more help than they get in England, Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland

Back
Top Bottom