Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2013 - The Results

29 The Asphodells – Ruled By Passion, Destroyed By Lust

333.jpg

Andy Weatherall partaking in more Shoreditch spookiness. Like other list dwellers, he seems to positively thrive on collaborations, adding up to a scuzzy, roguish, tense dramatic listen.

Last edited:
28 Future of the Left – How to Stop Your Brain In An Accident

Future-Of-The-Left-How-to-stop-your-brain-in-an-accident-Signed.jpg

The Welsh rockers who are neither pompous nor paedophiles. Aggressive, political rock at its best.

Last edited:
27 Hookworms - Pearl Mystic

hookworms-pearl-mystic-album-cover.jpg

Is it Loop? Is it Hawkwind? No, it’s Leeds’ new psych stars with their thrilling debut. Magnificent build and release swirls of righteousness.

Last edited:
26 The Ex & Brass Unbound - Enormous Door

140281.jpg

The best album you haven’t heard this year. You can’t have heard it or it’d be higher. A work of genius, pure and simple. Once again, it’s the collaboration that brings out the underlying brilliance of The Ex. Ethiopian grooves, Swedish jazz and Dutch punk has never sounded so good. Go out and buy this record now.

25 Major Lazer - Free the Universe

Major_Lazer_-_Free_the_Universe.png

Haven’t they fallen apart? Apparently not! Diplo continues to create his own brand of music – ‘Gorillaz without the pretence’ and gathers an eclectic bunch of collaborators (Vampire Weekened, Dirty Projectors, Shaggy) to help him.

24 Machinedrum - Vapor City

machinedrum-vapor-city-review-10.1.2013.jpg

Dont confuse them with MachineHead, you’d be making a very big mistake of you did. Think more Four Tet, or Burial, flourescent synthesizer chords, deep soul voices echoing and ruffneck ragga vocals.

23 Tim Hecker - Virgins

2d8d72ed.jpg

A ‘live recording’ from our Tim, with eerier than ever electronic soundtracks that’ll seriously wobble your head if you play it thru the headphones.

22 Haxan Cloak – Excavation

homepage_large.6fb21ae2.jpg

The London producer’s second album is about the journey taken after death, apparently. Although that probably makes it sound cheerier than it is. Droning yet expansive, it’s bold and intimidating, yet can be surprisingly light and hopeful. May they long continue to intrigue.

21 Parquet Courts - Light Up Gold

homepage_large.61c85a5c.jpg

Socrates died in the FUCKING gutter!” – they start as they mean to go on. No holds barred guitar based fun and fury from another set of NY garage rockers.

20 Hey Colossus - Cuckoo Live Life Like Cuckoo

mie018lp.jpg

Do you like The Melvins? Do you like Jesus Lizard? Well, why haven’t you bought the Hey Colossus album yet then?

(the track that will appear on the Spotify playlist is from an earlier album, as the new one isn't on there)

19 Julia Holter - Loud City Song

Julia-holter-loud-city-song-8.12.2013.jpg

This is Holter’s interpretation of 1958 MGM musical Gigi (you don’t need to have seen the film to get it tho). Avant-pop that is actually listenable.

18 Colin Stetson, New History Warfare Vol. 3: To See More Light

lightcover.jpg

A saxophonist who revels in tonal repetition and repetition of repetition. Like Tom Waits got drunk with Schoenberg.

17 These New Puritans - Field of Reeds

these-new-puritans-field-of-reeds-fact-review-7.25.2013.jpg

Another change in tack from the Puritans, much less rocky, much more ‘compositional’ (if that’s a word), stripped right back. And, my god, Adrian Peacocks voice is low, low, low.

16 Forest Swords – Engravings

homepage_large.f2e8fe13.jpg

All man, no biscuit. Some say it sounds just like the Sabres of Paradise. But only a bit, it’s still really rather good indeed. Spookily their contribution to my Best of the Year CD has just started as I'm posting this. I need a calming cup of tea.

15 Kanye West – Yeezus

kanye-west-yeezus.jpg

Apparently people have voted for a Kanye West album. I am sure it is a jolly good Kanye West album.

14 Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

homepage_large.8f4faae3.jpg

I spent ages trying to work out how to pronounce their name, before working out it was really quite obvious. Its te only obvious thing about this album tho. It sounds like it’s made in the 1980’s by someone who travelled back in time from the 2020’s. Hints of Terry Riley and Brian Eno don’t stop this from being unmistakeably Daniel Lopatin.

13 Phosphorescent – Muchacho

homepage_large.36422597.jpg

Astounding how many people misspelled the band they were nominating, but I let them off. Rollicking country-rock, beery and regret soaked. Well, it would be, wouldn’t it?

12 Haiku Salut- Tricolore

haiku-salut-tricolore.jpg

They sound like they should be French or Spanish, but are actually from the East Midlands. It’s a smorgasbord of delights, folky, ambient, and just darn funky. Hints of AotY favourites Beirut come through, making Haiku Salut easily the most popular new band on this years list.

11 Mogwai - Les Revenants

homepage_large.3c30c493.jpg

The soundtrack to the TV phenomenon, it’s just as spooky even without dead people strolling around the place. Nothing can stop them (Mogwai, that is, not the dead folk)

Back
Top Bottom