Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

unhinged political obsessives firebomb councillors' cars in middlesborough

:hmm:

I've often said local Labour councillors need a bomb under them but didn't mean quite this literally

I notice that on the first page linked to on the thread, some people seem to be linking it to the EDL etc. However, I also note that it's a Yahoo News page, and Yahoo News is full of racists and fantasists and racist fantasists.

Planning & development department, so motivations may be economic rather than political. Any smouldering piers nearby?

Mr Mallon, a former Cleveland Police senior detective who earned the nickname RoboCop for his tough stance on crime, said members of the council are now being given protection after he built up a criminal profile of the perpetrators and predicted where they will strike next.

I'm guessing his prediction is: 'the arsonist is someone with access to petrol and bottles, and he will next target another councillor's car.'

Mr Mallon admitted Middlesbrough Council has a volatile history. He said, prior to his election, there were serious internal tensions which resulted in some councillors beating each other up and others refusing to talk to colleagues for more than 20 years.
Local politics can be like that unfortunately, but Middlesbrough is a dump. I've been there a few times. I have to go there in the near future. Not looking forward to it.

Mr Mallon believes radical "community-type activists" angry at the town's socio-economic problems are behind the spree

That's a quote from the Independent article linked above. My first thought was far-right nutjobs, but this suggests disaffected lefty's.

Planning & development department, so motivations may be economic rather than political. Any smouldering piers nearby?

Yup, my experience of stuff like this is that it most often happens when someone with a financial/commercial interest is not getting the "support" they expected from their pet councilors.

Likewise there have been five or six fires here in the last two weeks, all on sites due to have major planning applications heard in the next three months. The council don't seem to be raising many eyebrows either! Hmmmm....!

Back
Top Bottom