Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Toyota + Saatchi 'guerilla action' and the 'whitening of Brixton'

ash

Inittogether
Following my reccent post of the viral knitting on Ferndale rd I have found a link to the Toyota marketing by Satchi and Satchi - http://popsop.com/60780

Quote:

'The district, which used to be quite an unpleasant part of the city in the 80s (it was associated with bombing and riots then), has whitened its image and become a nice, multicultural area—and the new project adds another lively and optimistic touch to the transformed atmosphere of this place.'

WTF - I am a bit lost for words.

Reading other stuff written by her on that website, she sounds realllly young and inexperienced. That description is probably the result of some basic internet trawling and her own naivety. [/kindest reading of what she wrote.]

And does it ever get subbed?

Fortunately, the shit I was writing as a young hack is not on the internet to haunt me now.

I'd like to think that's a case of ludicrously bad choice of words rather than intended the way it comes across. :facepalm:

Perhaps English is not her first language. Perhaps she's still learning about what is normal in a multicultural country.

I really hope so cos if not it's entirely shit, rather than mostly shit.

I walked past their ugly offices today. Unpleasant fucking building that could do with a good bombing & riot imo. That'd add a lively and optimistic touch to the atmosphere.

Or maybe she confused it with the 40s. There were a couple of bombs then
Maybe she was looking at the blitz bomb damage map on urban, or the shoe bomber from the mosque. Seriously brixton is infamous for bombs they are everywhere if you make the effort to do some research :)

Maybe she was looking at the blitz bomb damage map on urban, or the shoe bomber from the mosque. Seriously brixton is infamous for bombs they are everywhere if you make the effort to do some research :)
just a reminder that the blitz bomb damage map was based on information from the national archives, does not incorporate information from the london county council bomb damage maps, only covers a year and so is by no means comprehensive. for example, there's no v1 or v2 attacks listed on it.

As if the corporate knitting shit wasn't vile enough... :facepalm: That articles is a disgrace.

That Popsop bunch seem to have strong Russian and Eastern European connections, by the way,

Remember that this filming and photo shoot was right next to the Ferndale rd garages that are West Indian owned and staffed, incredible really.

I suppose, to be fair and accurate, it's not Saatchi who are saying these things, but this Anna Rudenko.

Saatchi are far too savvy to make a mistake like this.

just a reminder that the blitz bomb damage map was based on information from the national archives, does not incorporate information from the london county council bomb damage maps, only covers a year and so is by no means comprehensive. for example, there's no v1 or v2 attacks listed on it.

true. where are the v maps?

That Popsop bunch seem to have strong Russian and Eastern European connections, by the way,

Russians sometimes have somewhat primitive notions about race. I had a Russian flatmate a few years back who said that Brixton was alright 'apart from all the black people.' She asked me not to have any black visitors because she didn't want to catch AIDS from the toilet seat.

Reading other stuff written by her on that website, she sounds realllly young and inexperienced. That description is probably the result of some basic internet trawling and her own naivety. [/kindest reading of what she wrote.]
Do you mean she hasn't got the experience to at least hide her racist attitudes?

Perhaps English is not her first language. Perhaps she's still learning about what is normal in a multicultural country.
so what if English is not her first language? She obviously writes for a site and seems to be well able to string correct sentences together. Do you honestly believe 'whitening' can be mis-translated? She tried to putting 'Brixton used to be full of black people, i.e. a no-go area for people like her, whatever that is, whereas now it has become 'whiter', i.e. safer and 'nicer'. Blatant racism, just call it for what it is!!?

Russians sometimes have somewhat primitive notions about race. I had a Russian flatmate a few years back who said that Brixton was alright 'apart from all the black people.' She asked me not to have any black visitors because she didn't want to catch AIDS from the toilet seat.

That too is racist, blame Russians in general, and what is 'primitive notions about race'? your flatmate? racist full stop, possibly due to ignorance, racist nevertheless.

That article just is the icing on the gentrification debate.
BTW they seem to have corrected it.

"* Updated on February 5, 2013. We are sorry for the inaccuracy and apologize for any troubles it may have caused."

Back
Top Bottom