Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tom Ravenscroft (BBC Radio 6 Music)

matt m

Don't often listen, cos it's on at a slightly irritating time for me, but I'm liking Tom Ravenscroft's show on 6Music.

Like a proper old man I remarked to the missus how much it reminded me of John Peel, only to be told that he's his son.

Think I prefer it to Maconie's Freak Zone, which plays a bit too much old stuff. In fact, playing too much old stuff is kind of endemic to 6Music - fortunately TR doesn't seem to do that.

He's been getting around this week - sitting in for Gideon Coe, Jon Holmes and Huey Morgan, as well as presenting his own show and popping up on Roundtable.

Actually haven't listened to him on a regular basis (and barely heard any of the above output) but gonna try and make the effort from now on.

Tom's great but I was disappointed on Sunday when he stood in for Huey. Not for his choice of music but because Huey wasn't where I expected him to be.

FLC were rehearsing for V. ffs.

First time I heard him I was amazed how similar he sounded to his da. I like him and his delivery. As for Stuart playing old stuff, there's no harm in it - plenty of gems out there and 6 is pretty much contemporary, I thought

He's pretty good. Infinitely better than that Tony Blackburn-esque clown they have on before the even more annoying Laverne in the morning.

Shaun Keveny. I'm funny because I'm northern.
He's not even slightly funny, northern or not. He's even taken to employing Tony Blackburn-esque sound effects while he endlessly prattles over a fucking Star Wars theme tune, ffs.
Awful, embarrassing, sub Hospital radio stuff. What's wrong with playing music?

urban quite clearly needs a dedicated 6Music forum :D

btw, I know you've pooh-poohed non-radio music avenues before, but thought this site may be of some interest, as it holds Spotify playlists based on the playlists of 6Music shows (and those of other stations), so you get the music without the chitter-chatter :)

BRITify (formerly BBCify) mashes up radio listings from the BBC with Spotify to create playlists of shows.

As well as new playlists for each broadcast, BRITify also creates magic playlists; a single playlist that gets updated every day with the latest tracks.

urban quite clearly needs a dedicated 6Music forum :D

btw, I know you've pooh-poohed non-radio music avenues before, but thought this site may be of some interest, as it holds Spotify playlists based on the playlists of 6Music shows (and those of other stations), so you get the music without the chitter-chatter :)
I'll give that a go, although I do like listening to live radio best.

He's not even slightly funny, northern or not. He's even taken to employing Tony Blackburn-esque sound effects while he endlessly prattles over a fucking Star Wars theme tune, ffs.
Awful, embarrassing, sub Hospital radio stuff. What's wrong with playing music?

It's the morning zany formula, supposed to get us in a good mood for the day. Evidently, it does no such thing ;)

It's the morning zany formula, supposed to get us in a good mood for the day. Evidently, it does no such thing ;)

You've just reminded me of that oaf who used to present the morning slot - ye gods!

(Shan't mention his name - but his surname is a bit "meaty", if you get what I mean...)

I like Shaun. Try having to listen to either Chris in the morning, then you will know what piss-awful radio is. He's witty without being overly wacky.

seriously, absolute radio is a better bet for weekday daytime radio than 6. not many ads, virtually no talking, just music, with no repeats (another thing 6 is guilty of). u get some really random shit on there too.

Tom's great but I was disappointed on Sunday when he stood in for Huey. Not for his choice of music but because Huey wasn't where I expected him to be.

FLC were rehearsing for V. ffs.

Fun Lovin' Criminals and rehearsing...

Nah, definitely don't belong in the same sentence!!!

he's turned up on the beeb on a fri night.. not normally in at this hour... but fuckin hell this is good... grumpy old fuck at the ripe old age of 30 odd

theres a birdwatching piece happening at the moment. woodpeckers. dont know why, but why not i say.

Was overgleed to see I had a direct message from him on Twitter (indeed, my first DM at all). Slightly less gleed when I realised it's quite probably a hacked account :( Apparently someone is posting my pic all over Twitter, but as much as I'd like to believe it, I rather think Tom (first name terms, obviously) has very little idea what I look like. "Probably humanoid", would be about as far he could legitimately posit, I would guess.

theres a birdwatching piece happening at the moment. woodpeckers. dont know why, but why not i say.
I listened today for the first time - liked a lot of what was played, though not as eclectic as John Peel it seems (at least not today) - but especially like the birdwatching spot, but quite jealous as it was about seeing a kingfisher and ive never seen one, really want to though.

Back
Top Bottom