Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Thinking of moving to Loughton

LondonRose2015

Hello

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am searching for somewhere to buy a house within commuting distance of Liverpool Street. Have noticed loughton, Harold wood and Debden are within our price range but know nothing about the areas. Just looking for a decent place to bring up my daughter for 350-400k.

Could anyone shed some light.

Many thanks

Loughton and Debden are nice. Harold Wood is quite Romfordish.

What kind of area are you after? I lived in South Woodford for a while, thats really nice and on Central Line.

Loughton seems alright - no idea how expensive it is - has a few pubs and restaurants - plus M&S and Sainsbury's. Also close to Epping Forest which is fab :thumbs:

Yes it will, see map here

only downside is it's near Brentwood the centre of 'The only way is essex.' :rolleyes:

Someone I work with moved there and seems quite happy.
Loughton is in the TOWIE triangle of Loughton/Brentwood/Chigwell. Personally having worked in the area (Loughton/Epping) for 7 years I wouldn't move there - there's a marked small minded, parochial way of thinking about the whole place with lots of Tories/UKIP types, plus the bling and glitter of the TOWIE wannabees.

Loughton is in the TOWIE triangle of Loughton/Brentwood/Chigwell. Personally having worked in the area (Loughton/Epping) for 7 years I wouldn't move there - there's a marked small minded, parochial way of thinking about the whole place with lots of Tories/UKIP types, plus the bling and glitter of the TOWIE wannabees.

Isnt this pretty much Essex in general? (allbeit Loughton etc is old Essex). Its why i left Essex as quick as i could when i worked full time.

Isnt this pretty much Essex in general? (allbeit Loughton etc is old Essex). Its why i left Essex as quick as i could when i worked full time.
Possibly, it's the only bit of Essex I know well. Obviously there are some interesting people there but I found working there stultfying, and many of the commonplace attitudes quite shocking - although I accept that might coloured by the fact I was working in local government.

Possibly, it's the only bit of Essex I know well. Obviously there are some interesting people there but I found working there stultfying, and many of the commonplace attitudes quite shocking - although I accept that might coloured by the fact I was working in local government.

Of course, there are still people with an open mind that leave Essex every now and then. But i found a huge majority of mindless clones.

Not going to argue with that - I was trying to be balanced.:) After all the wonderful Ken Campbell did live (and die) in Loughton.

My parents moved around London alot as i was a kid, but then eventually settled in Dagenham when i was about 14. The following 7 years were awful. I moved back into London as soon as i could. Everyone was the same. Born in Dagenham die in Dagenham. Fun was Romford on a saturday night.

Estate agents said I don't have enough of a budget to move there. They say that for every destination I try ffs and for me 400k is over budget. I am looking for a 3 bed house in a good area to bring up a family with a good school within a mile of the station and on a line that runs to Liverpool Street. Shenfield is a no can't remember what my partner said either to expensive or bad journey. We have been searching for 2 years problem is this area is over an hours drive hence I post in the forum as a long way to go and see if people say the area is no good. Reasons for leaving London is the only part we can afford are the bad parts I grew up on an estate and want better for my daughter. Were in a flat now and will never afford a house in London.

You could try looking at places on the Metropolitan Line in Herts, if you need to get into Liverpool St. I think Watford is ok. Quite diverse, not edgy, a good shopping centre, theatre and cinemas. I'm told the schools are ok. West Watford is the better part of town, North Watford is rougher. I've not experienced so much of the 'Essex' attitudes there. I don't know what house prices are like there now. Used to be affordable, but the ripple effect is happening there, along with displaced people affected by the benefits cap in London, putting prices up.

Were already on the met line at the moment we ruled out Watford as our budget would only get a small narrow Victorian terrace within reasonable distance to the station.

What does very Essex mean and Essex attitude?

Have a look at Chadwell Heath.Great train service into Liverpool St,Romford and Chelmsford .Plus a few decent restaurants and shops and a couple of decent pubs too and crossrail's coming soon.

My parents moved around London alot as i was a kid, but then eventually settled in Dagenham when i was about 14. The following 7 years were awful. I moved back into London as soon as i could. Everyone was the same. Born in Dagenham die in Dagenham. Fun was Romford on a saturday night.

That's changed quite a bit now.

What is Romford like? Always thought it was a bit rough but then the schools in Chadwell heath are grade one and two ofstead so assume it's a good place.

Romford town center has a good market and loads of shops and a fair few quality pubs and restaurants.Decent schools and nearby Havering College.Property prices go from about 160k for a 1 bed flat /apartment to a few million for an Only way is Essex gaff.In my opinion, the only downside is the nightlife.Weekends its normally full to the rafters with chavvy cunts loaded up on shit charlie looking for someone to glass.On the odd occasion i find myself drinking there of a weekend,i try to make sure i'm long gone by about 10ish.

What is Romford like? Always thought it was a bit rough but then the schools in Chadwell heath are grade one and two ofstead so assume it's a good place.
Not really rough at all. I live in central Romford and I really quite like it despite coming from a little closer to central London. Town centre's a little lively at 4am on a Saturday or Sunday morning but not threatening. There's little to satisfy the trendy urbanite but we have restaurants, cinemas and one of the best shopping areas in London (I vastly prefer it to Westfields). I'm a lot happier raising my child here than I would have been in Hackney.

Harold Wood seems very quiet to me but quiet is nice. If I had a car and a little lottery win I'd probably move there.

I was brought up around Tottenham myself awful place. We looked at Harold wood a few houses were within our budget. Were trying to narrow down our house search and ideally move by next summer as want another baby but can't have another till we move as two dependents reduce borrowing considerably. The flat value is increasing by 3k a month. Has anyone successfully sold and purchased another? We did sell last year but anything we bid on accepted the first time buyer as we were in a chain.

Maomao- can I ask what brought you to romford? Or did u live there before you had children?

At the moment at the number one spot is billericay as that's purely based on a good place for little one and easy for other half to get to work but in the long run will it be to boring maybe

Now thinking of heading to chadwell heath care anyone suggest any rods worth going to or things to see? Just so I can get a feel for the area

Maomao- can I ask what brought you to romford? Or did u live there before you had children?

At the moment at the number one spot is billericay as that's purely based on a good place for little one and easy for other half to get to work but in the long run will it be to boring maybe

Now thinking of heading to chadwell heath care anyone suggest any rods worth going to or things to see? Just so I can get a feel for the area
We found ourselves in a position to buy and buying in Hackney would have been stupid. A one bedroom flat cost the same as our (very modest) semi did here. Spent a couple of months researching where we could afford and given that Edmonton (where I grew up) was just too depressing ended up here due to transport and shopping convenience.

Get the train from Liverpool Street to Chadwell Heath then get a bus to central Romford (so you can have a look at the area) and have a wander about. Wednesdays and Fridays are good because they're market days.

I only ever go to Chadwell Heath for the Chinese cash and carry but most of what I've seen is just pretty boring residential.

Back
Top Bottom