Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Josephine Avenue Deception

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
When walking along Brixton Water Lane and heading up Brixton Hill, I always used to go along Josephine Avenue, cos I thought it was a short cut. It took me ages to realise that it was actually longer. When going up JA you are heading away from BWL, but then the road bends and you head towards it again before arriving on Brixton Hill only about 50 metres further up from it.

Anyone else done this, or am I just stupid?

i thought this was a transformers thread.

decepticons.jpg

Maggot said:

we are all stupid.
i have been taking the same 'shortcut' for much of the last 30 years!!!!! i now feel cheated.
i have even tested with my trusty method of holding a bit of string against my computer screen on streetmap and you're right....
jack_tranformer.jpg

hmm, i used to do this all the time too. it never felt right but till just now i couldn't quite figure out why.
but then, my sense of direction is bloody fucking appalling!
my head's permanently in the clouds.

zenazena said:
we are all stupid.
i have been taking the same 'shortcut' for much of the last 30 years!!!!! i now feel cheated.
i have even tested with my trusty method of holding a bit of string against my computer screen on streetmap and you're right....
jack_tranformer.jpg

you have a strange name. What's the origins and are you so good you named yourself twice? :confused:

People who live on Josephine Avenue were probably wondering why so many strange people walked down their road too.

But it's nicer along Josephine Avenue than on Brixton Water lane or Brixton Hill. It feels shorter cos it's nicer :) :)

story said:
But it's nicer along Josephine Avenue than on Brixton Water lane or Brixton Hill. It feels shorter cos it's nicer :) :)

exactly but during the daytime only..it's a lot nicer since it stopped being a car park as well

yeah but they don't have church on a wednesday afternoon; loads of people must have used it to park their car and then leg it to the tube

and..jeez...i forgot you had a computer at home now:rolleyes:

twisted said:
yeah but they don't have church on a wednesday afternoon; loads of people must have used it to park their car and then leg it to the tube

and..jeez...i forgot you had a computer at home now:rolleyes:

Ruach Ministries has Wednesday evening services :p

I've had a computer at home since last year. Keep up

I'm farting around on Ancestry.co.uk but none of my relatives seem to have been born :confused:

i'm talking wednesday daytime...like just after lunch, when i get up like and you've long since been at work

twisted said:
i'm talking wednesday daytime...like just after lunch, when i get up like and you've long since been at work

Ah, maybe it's the Wednesday Afternoon Club for lazy arses like yourself :p

Maggot said:
When walking along Brixton Water Lane and heading up Brixton Hill, I always used to go along Josephine Avenue, cos I thought it was a short cut. It took me ages to realise that it was actually longer. When going up JA you are heading away from BWL, but then the road bends and you head towards it again before arriving on Brixton Hill only about 50 metres further up from it.

yes, Josephine Avenue is certainly a bit sneaky in this respect. I think it was built with the deliberate intention of disorienting people. In fact a lot of the roads nearby have wierd 45degree kinks in them to the same end.

This raises the question of the shortest route to Brixton tube from the top of Leander Road. Do you take Helix Rd or Leander Rd and when you get to Josephine avenue do you go left or right? Or do you go straight down Arodene Rd to Brixton Hill? Or through the estate to Tulse Hill?

Controversial.

Minnie_the_Minx said:
you have a strange name. What's the origins and are you so good you named yourself twice? :confused:

i'm like new york innit - so nice they named it twice...
alternatively .... a good friend (who is muslim) told me that zena is the arabic word for 'sex before marriage' ie: VERY BAD :eek:

teuchter said:
This raises the question of the shortest route to Brixton tube from the top of Leander Road. Do you take Helix Rd or Leander Rd and when you get to Josephine avenue do you go left or right? Or do you go straight down Arodene Rd to Brixton Hill? Or through the estate to Tulse Hill?

Controversial.
Looking at the map, Leander Road is a bit closer to Tulse Hill, so going through the estate looks quicker. However Helix Road might be more direct, it's certainly shorter than Leander Road cos it's on the inside of the bend. It's a tricky one.

I think you should time yourself doing each route a number of times, and work out which one is quickest on average. ;)

Maggot said:
Looking at the map, Leander Road is a bit closer to Tulse Hill, so going through the estate looks quicker. However Helix Road might be more direct, it's certainly shorter than Leander Road cos it's on the inside of the bend. It's a tricky one.

As long as I've lived on Brixton Hill and had friends in all three roads, at both ends, I've NEVER figured out which is quicker :D

Maggot said:

I think you should time yourself doing each route a number of times, and work out which one is quickest on average. ;)

I used to live off Stockwell Road and there was an equally controversial debate about the quickest way back home from the Effra. Across to Altantic Rd and down that way, or up to Effra Road and down the High St?

teuchter said:
I used to live off Stockwell Road and there was an equally controversial debate about the quickest way back home from the Effra. Across to Altantic Rd and down that way, or up to Effra Road and down the High St?

I live by the effra, and debate this every day. I think maybe Rattray road/Saltoun rd, across Windrush square. But I use that for my bus outside Morley's. For Stockwell road there might be an advantage to the Atlantic Road route.

Never got the whole Brixton hill angled streets thing. Confuses me every time.

malice said:
I live by the effra, and debate this every day. I think maybe Rattray road/Saltoun rd, across Windrush square. But I use that for my bus outside Morley's. For Stockwell road there might be an advantage to the Atlantic Road route..

Maybe it depends on which door you use to exit the Effra.

zenazena said:
read up manx ....

"Numerous Koranic verses define in details which sexual relations are permitted under Islam, and the punishment for any transgression (called zena) outside these limits. Zena is punishable by flogging, imprisonment and stoning to death. "

http://www.middleastwomen.org/html/oppression.htm

can't be arsed to read that bollox but I believe you. It does mean lots of other things though - one of them being words to the effect of "beautiful" and "decorative" and "lady" being just a few of them.:p

I sent you a PM

Back
Top Bottom