Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Cheesegrater tower starts...

Crispy

The following psytrance is baṉned: All
These stupid nicknames are all a bit much now :mad:

Anyway, this one's a stunna, if you ask me. Designed by Richard Rogers, the front facade will lean back to preserve a protected view of St. Pauls.

122leadenhall.jpg

There will be a large covered public space at ground floor level.

5.jpg

The rear facade will be in multiple colours with all the lifts visible going up and down.

92427276zg.jpg

They did nearly all the demolition and foundation works several years ago, but then the project got put on hold. Just this year, it's started back up again and workers are on site. This one should race up, as it has no concrete core, just a steel frame.

I like it, not sure about stunna though as it's a bit plain, not that that is a bad thing!

How high will it be? Similarly to the pinnacle, wasn't this one reduced?

Steel framed? No concrete core? Wasn't there a famous pair of buildings in New York built along similar lines? :hmm:

I like it - altho it'd be nice if Mr Rogers built something without exposed elevators...

Steel framed? No concrete core? Wasn't there a famous pair of buildings in New York built along similar lines?

There are hundreds of steel-framed skyscrapers out there, but very few with the particular design of the WTC towers. The cross-braced nature of the steel frame on this building makes it very resilient indeed, and the floor decks will provide little if any structural support.

There are hundreds of steel-framed skyscrapers out there, but very few with the particular design of the WTC towers. The cross-braced nature of the steel frame on this building makes it very resilient indeed, and the floor decks will provide little if any structural support.

As an architectural professional, is it one of those areas your usually excellent sarcasm detector fails? ;)

When this is finished I want someone to build a giant inflatable cheese, attach it to the service crane runnels and have it move up and down the building, showering those below in bits of yellow confetti.

"Once I built a tower to the sun, brick and rivet and lime.
Once I built a tower; now its done.
Buddy can you spare a dime."

I'm liking this more and more with every pic I see. elegant, streamlined, fits well, eyecatching (so to speak), YEAH!:cool:

I rather like the old building on Bishopsgate that got ripped down for this
Had nice trees and a little stream in it

The one on the CU PLaza had Monte Pesche, Wi Carr and load of other firms I did biz with in it - it was dull but matched the CU building

Ha ha _ ace that the Shanghai Finance centre looks like a bottle openr!!!

Yam Seng!!!!! (Chinese toast and drinking game - VERY good fun!!)

The International Finance Centre in Hong Kong is f'ugly. It's like the Chinese took a look at Hong Kong Island and decided to build the biggest, most functional skyscraper but on Kowloon side so ner ner HK island. Status all the way. :D

Yeah, but the IFC has that nice little frilly bit at the bottom.

Apart from the Shanghai Tower, there's nothing in that list that's especially inpriring, and some of them look like that weird po-mo phase some skyscrapers in NY went through during the 80s. like the AT&T building, for example:

314.jpg

Back
Top Bottom