Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The British Interplanetary Society

editor

hiraethified
Anyone ever been to their talks? I'm going this week and can't work out if I'm going to encounter a load of cardigan-wearing, Star Trek geeks and blokes with Worf forehards or real science-type people.

Whilst there might be a surfeit of cardigans in the audience, the BIS has been around promoting space for the best part of the last century. Many members are fairly serious professionals.

I think my dad (long term SF reader and also a scientist) might have been a member - he's certainly mentioned them. My impression was also of both cardigans and real science.

Tbh we need more people doing science in cardigans and tweed, ideally with pipes and serious expressions as they say "but with all due respect Professor, don't you realise what this experiment could do to the very fabric of the universe?" None of this scruffy modern lot in t-shirts, appearing on TV to say how astrophysics is brilliant.

I think my dad (long term SF reader and also a scientist) might have been a member - he's certainly mentioned them. My impression was also of both cardigans and real science.

Tbh we need more people doing science in cardigans and tweed, ideally with pipes and serious expressions as they say "but with all due respect Professor, don't you realise what this experiment could do to the very fabric of the universe?" None of this scruffy modern lot in t-shirts, appearing on TV to say how astrophysics is brilliant.

I shall report back from my experience later this week and include a full sartorial analysis.

Anyone ever been to their talks? I'm going this week and can't work out if I'm going to encounter a load of cardigan-wearing, Star Trek geeks and blokes with Worf forehards or real science-type people.
The two categories are not particularly exclusive :D

Used to be very serious puts together paper projects to like Daedalus, before NASA got off the ground, groups like these were the main drivers for promoting human space flight.

Their wiki article has a couple of odd bits:

[the office] is situated on South Lambeth Road (A203) near Vauxhall station, and not far from the Secret Intelligence Service building.
:eek:

and

However early in 1936, the Society discovered that this ambition was thwarted by the Explosives Act of 1875, which prevented any private testing of liquid-fuel rockets in the United Kingdom.
:thumbs:

Damn the Explosives Act of 1875 - we could have been first to the moon!

I went to a couple of talks given by members of the BIS when I was a student in the late 80s. I think there's still a really high quotient of cardies, sideburns, real ale and pipe among the membership, but they'd be the first volunteers for a one-way trip to Mars.

Bet they don't have a single member from another planet.

I don'tsee why not, as lng as they come from a British planet.

69293485.jpg

Daily Mail for this pish.

Back
Top Bottom