Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Blues

Voley

🐀
This is a thread for when you woke up this morning to find your woman's been cheating, she's left you for another man, while you were knocking at the front somebody went out your back door, there's no food on your table, no shoes on your feet and if wasn't for bad luck luck you wouldn't have no luck at all.

Post yer fave blues songs here please.

Yeah, can't go wrong with the Fat Possum lot can you? I was lucky enough to see RL Burnside and he was fucking awesome live. Incredible slide playing. I was equally impressed by the pint of Bloody Mary he got through during the gig.

as mentioned on another thread, i picked up a huge folkways anthology of early jazz last week - features a load of blues too. including this total fucking scorcher.

my big 3 are mississippi john hurt, blind willie & skip james. probably leadbelly should be ahead of all of them, but everyone knows him already...

I love Mississippi John Hurt. Really beautiful stuff. Seems a world away from that harsh Son House/ Fred McDowell slide style.

If Nick Cave hadn't recorded 'Stagger Lee' this would be my favourite version of it:

yeah, his stackolee is the best imo. he's got a style all of his own, which no-one's ever really copied. odd, as it is so beautiful, as you say.

I can remember Dub asking on here if anyone could recommend similar stuff and no-one really came up with anything. Pretty unique.

Back
Top Bottom