Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tenby railway station - a Victorian delight

editor

hiraethified
tenby-railway-station-1.jpg
]]
This station is a beaut!

More photos and feature: http://www.urban75.org/blog/tenby-r...tone-buildings-and-cast-iron-canopies-intact/

That fancy woodwork is most impressive. I have never seen one as good as that before and I have been on a few stations in my time.

EDITED TO ADD: I looked at the rest of the photographs and I really like the look of Tenby. I would like to go there with the proviso that it would need to be in very good weather, that coast could be very windy and grim on a rainy day. It did look very appealing on the day you took those pictures.

That fancy woodwork is most impressive. I have never seen one as good as that before and I have been on a few stations in my time.

Miracle it's survived given how some of the other stations on the line have been trashed.

Here's Saundersfoot:

saundersfoot.jpg

Still has through trains to London on weekends ! , lovely place with real character and lots of history.

Paxton incidentally created a folly near Carmarthen "Paxtons Tower" - something to do with not being elected as an MP.

Still has through trains to London on weekends ! , lovely place with real character and lots of history.

Paxton incidentally created a folly near Carmarthen "Paxtons Tower" - something to do with not being elected as an MP.
ONE through train, I believe - it used to be an HST, which gave me the surprise of my life when I saw it coming over the bridge at Pembroke!

I accidentally booked myself onto it coming back from London one Saturday - it makes two reversals, at Swansea and Carmarthen, and I reckon the driver must get a shoe leather allowance for having to walk the length of his train twice in a journey.

Given that the Narnia Line usually sports bubble car DMUs (and now those fucking horrible Leyland bus trains), HSTs do look rather incongruous...

On the lines of Victorian Railway Stations {And the loss of many} there were serious plans to demolish St Pancras in the 60's/70's An unthinkable crime when one sees the horrors of post 60's built stations in the UK

On the lines of Victorian Railway Stations {And the loss of many} there were serious plans to demolish St Pancras in the 60's/70's An unthinkable crime when one sees the horrors of post 60's built stations in the UK
Saved by John Betjeman, which is why his statue has pride of place within it now. He also saved the Blackfriar pub.

Tenby is nice. Only been once when I did a tour of Wales' perimeter.

There was a Grand Designs with the lifeboat station being converted which was worth a watch.

Tenby used to have summer only through loco hauled , air con trains to York - not that long ago ....

They'd have to be summer-only. They'd rust to bits at any other season.

(existentialist has just got back from 3 sunny weeks in Brittany to classic stereotypical West Welsh overcast gloom and rain, and is feeling cynical)

Love Love Love Tenby
only got the train there once iirc
due to go and visit friends near there and trying to find a clear weekend

They'd have to be summer-only. They'd rust to bits at any other season.

(existentialist has just got back from 3 sunny weeks in Brittany to classic stereotypical West Welsh overcast gloom and rain, and is feeling cynical)

Lucky you - we endured (with small kids) , around 3 consecutive wet holidays in Brittany - so changed our loyalty to Tenby - had good weather too)

The York-Tenby was formed of "spare" Inter City stock from the East Coast Main line - not required on Saturdays , and then maintained for a weeks work int'depot on Sunday. Of course a failed Brixton bus conductor accused BR of being deeply inefficient and un-customer friendly......

Ah the days when we had a joined up railway that put on proper trains Now you would end up doing the journey in some overcrowded 3/4/5 car DMU

2 car Pacer actually - the normal single car 153 has a little holiday on the Coryton branch to let its bigger brother see the sea ...to be fair to ATW they do their best with longer trains as they also have North Wales , the Cambrian Coast and Snowdonia to cover with the same fleet ...

2 car Pacer actually - the normal single car 153 has a little holiday on the Coryton branch to let its bigger brother see the sea ...to be fair to ATW they do their best with longer trains as they also have North Wales , the Cambrian Coast and Snowdonia to cover with the same fleet ...

They seem to have upgraded the Pembroke Dock service to 2 or 3-car units lately - usually it's a 153, but maybe that's just for the summer.

Of note to people getting the train out to the far wilds of SW Wales: All tickets from stations East of Carmarthen to termini west of Whitland are valid to all other such termini, and vice-versa for the return journey.

Back
Top Bottom