Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tate Britain - art, performance, events

editor

hiraethified
I went along yesterday and rather enjoyed my afternoon. Anyone else been recently?

performance-tate-britain-01.jpg

performance-tate-britain-11.jpg

performance-tate-britain-12.jpg

An afternoon of dance performance and art at the Tate Britain, London

They put some great art on, but they take the piss with their workers. Some of them are on zero hours contracts, most of them are on low wages, yet the Tate have the gall to send this out to their staff to entreat their workers to buy their outgoing boss a big new yacht:
IMG_20170427_000713.jpg

They put some great art on, but they take the piss with their workers. Some of them are on zero hours contracts, most of them are on low wages, yet the Tate have the gall to send this out to their staff to entreat their workers to buy their outgoing boss a big new yacht:
View attachment 105375
That sucks but maybe all that should go in a different thread.

every now and then i do wonder if a tate membership is worth it.

You need to go 4-5 times a year to recoup the cost, but it does mean you can walk in when you want rather than the hassle of booking a time slot or queuing.

Another option is the Art Fund pass, which is £70 and gives 50% entry to all sorts of places as well as the Tate.
Art Fund

I went last week.

It is excellent, all the classic photo's and some I'd not seen before. Also shows he takes more than just pictures of trauma and horror. His landscapes are really good and his candid pics of people on the beachfront are worth a look. Moody still though.

The ones with the kids are the hardest to look at. There were people quietly in tears. There's one of a little Syrian girl with special needs helpless on the floor that is just mind numbingly awful.

I did have an issue with the Northern Ireland explanation. There is a fundamental misunderstanding of what PIRA were fighting for. Also Londonderry on all the captions....oh well I guess it is a pillar of the British establishment after all.

Other than that. Well worth it.

Last edited:
It is excellent, all the classic photo's and some I'd not seen before. Also shows he takes more than just pictures of trauma and horror. His landscapes are really good and his candid pics of people on the beachfront are worth a look. Moody still though.
This is what I'd like to see. It got a brief mention at the end of the McCullin documentary, but most things tend to focus on his war stuff.

The pictures of the homeless in East London are also very powerful, especially as I live round here now so can see how different it is.

BBC4 had this on the night before I went.

BBC Four - Don McCullin: Looking for England
Oh excellent, I'll give that a watch. The last one I saw was The Road To Palmyra last year.

I really want to go, but yeh, this.
I've really gone off the 'big' exhibitions and not just because of the ridiculous prices - they always seem to be too full and packed with people who seem more interested in ticking it off the list or taking selfies with themselves than taking in the artwork. I'd rather buy the book or see some 'lesser' work in a small gallery in a wet Monday or whatever.

And what a bloody shame the Getty has closed. That was one of my favourites.
London’s Getty Images Gallery is now permanently closed, Jan 2019

I watched this earlier. I definitely want to go and see this exhibition now :thumbs:

Has to be done. :cool:

A lot of the photo's in the programme relate directly to the exhibition which is cool. Especially the Northern ones I thought.

The main technical thing I took from the doc was his reliance on the darkroom process. Burning in etc. Old school AF.

When I went on the first day, people were very respectful and if you crossed paths you waited. No selfies. Occasional private photo's allowed (no flash).

Tickets are scheduled entry. I'd imagine this is to make sure it doesn't get too jammers. Your experience may vary, I'd hope anyone giving it selfie nonsense at this one will get short shrift.

A lot of the photo's in the programme relate directly to the exhibition which is cool. Especially the Northern ones I thought.

The main technical thing I took from the doc was his reliance on the darkroom process. Burning in etc. Old school AF.
I’m quite keen to see more shots from Consett as that’s just up the road from me. Also his landscape stuff, as I’ve only really seen that mentioned in passing.

It was interesting to see him in the darkroom. I’ve started experimenting with film in the last year or so , I t’s definitely a different mindset from shooting digital.

Many of the big exhibitions the tickets are timed. They still turn out to be a right scrum though.

I know, just reporting back on my personal first day experience. I even said, "your experience may vary".

I'm fucking allergic to queuing, people, selfie twits and general lack of consideration and it was fine. I had to go round a couple of times to get a decent look at some shots but this is some good shit so was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom