Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

South London Press journalist cautioned by Police for attack on Councillor

se5

According to these blogs - http://standupforstockwell.blogspot.com/2010/03/south-london-press-journalist-arrested.html and http://onionbagblog.com/2010/03/12/the-journo-the-cllr-and-the-police-caution the chief political reporter of the South London Press Greg Truscott has been cautioned by the Met for a physical attack on Lambeth Councillor (and Cabinet member) Mark Bennett.

According to the pieces it occurred at a fundraising event organised by the Mayor of Lambeth and I imagine alcohol had been consumed. Anyone know anything else about it?

Apart from anything else it is bad for us as local people as it will compromise the coverage of Lambeth affairs

The main compromise on the reporting of Lambeth affairs is that the SLP's chief reporter now has a ban on entering Lambeth Town Hall. Ignoring the fact that the SLP has long since forgotten to send hacks to council meetings, this must make his job rather difficult to carry out right now.

I hear [third hand] that a job swap has been agreed among the SLP reporters and Greg will now lead on stories in other boroughs.

Equally anecdotally, I hear that the motives for the "assault" (the charge for which he was apparently arrested) had nothing to do with the victim's sexual orientation, so describing it as a "homophobic attack" is probably neither accurate nor fair.

However the language he reportedly used when provoked was clearly unacceptable.

Those two quotes indicate the journalist ignored two people. Since when is ignoring someone a homophobic assault?

There's clearly more to this story but I guess we aren't allowed to find out about it.

Looking at Councillor Bennett's Twitter screen (ooh what a privilege to live in a borough with with such connected councillors!) I think the incident occured after he expressed views on the sex ads in the SLP:

@SE11_lurker @Jason_cobb I was assaulted after being subjected to homophobic abuse by SLP chief reporter. I'd expressed my views re sex ads
8:45 AM Mar 12th via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/CllrMarkBennett

Looking at Councillor Bennett's Twitter screen (ooh what a privilege to live in a borough with with such connected councillors!) I think the incident occured after he expressed views on the sex ads in the SLP:

@SE11_lurker @Jason_cobb I was assaulted after being subjected to homophobic abuse by SLP chief reporter. I'd expressed my views re sex ads
8:45 AM Mar 12th via TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/CllrMarkBennett

Not sure what is wrong with sex ads. small price to pay (as far as reader is concerned) for a paper being able to pay journalists to keep an eye on our largely corrupt local council system. Private Eye's Rotten Boroughs hasn't been living on fresh air for the last 40 years

Those two quotes indicate the journalist ignored two people. Since when is ignoring someone a homophobic assault?

There's clearly more to this story but I guess we aren't allowed to find out about it.
I know a little more but can't comment right now.

Not sure what is wrong with sex ads. small price to pay (as far as reader is concerned) for a paper being able to pay journalists to keep an eye on our largely corrupt local council system. Private Eye's Rotten Boroughs hasn't been living on fresh air for the last 40 years

Indeed it seems a stick to hit the SLP with due to dwindling editorial standards. The moral aspect of it is a load of crap IMO...if he was that concerned about the objectification of women maybe, just maybe he could do more about the prostitution problem in Lambeth?

Note: moving the problem on isn't the same as dealing with it :facepalm:

...if he was that concerned about the objectification of women maybe, just maybe he could do more about the prostitution problem in Lambeth?

To be fair, Councillor Bennett was heavily involved in the Prostitution Strategy that was recently passed by cabinet.

There was a reason I changed the title of this thread and speculating if someone is a "poof" or not really isn't the way to go.

I neither know or care what party, or part of Lambeth, he represents. Neither am I bothered about what his alleged sexual preference may or may not be.

I'd hazard a guess that there are much bigger issues going on that deserve more column inches, and councillor time, than a bit of name calling, if that is all it was.

Lambeth website on Bennet:

"Councillor Bennett is responsible for helping Lambeth support the police fight crime and anti-social behaviour through the Safer Lambeth Partnership, tackling domestic violence, drug deterrence, licensing, the Youth Offending Service including leading on 'Young and Safe' - Lambeth's youth crime strategy and working with the police's Safer Neighbourhood Teams."

He Helps Lambeth Support the police Fighting crime & anti social behaviour:
What a Guy!

If those really are his responsibilities... then I'd think that he's failing pretty badly really.

Sadly in many cases I reckon I get more useful news and information about Lambeth in Lambeth Life than the South London Press

Back
Top Bottom