Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Skrillex / Aphex

Metal Malcolm

ODT resident emo
Wasn't sure if this was better here or in the bandwidth thread...

Skrillex-Aphex-Twin-Facebook.jpeg

13294950.jpg

Very selective quoting of the FB comments - apparently the majority gave the man kudos for his taste. According to reddit anyway.

Someone should post one claiming to have a drop and then leave it the same as the original... keep those drop fiends waiting

Very selective quoting of the FB comments - apparently the majority gave the man kudos for his taste. According to reddit anyway.

You can still see the post on Skrillex's fb. Admittedly they aren't 'all' as bad as the ones above, but they aren't cherry picking that much. I'd say the majority fit the template above.

You can still see the post on Skrillex's fb. Admittedly they aren't 'all' as bad as the ones above, but they aren't cherry picking that much. I'd say the majority fit the template above.

Could be right. I don't really care either way, I just happened to have seen this on Reddit a couple days back where someone made the point I did. Either way Skrillex is shit. Aphex is great.

I dont like Skrillex or Aphex.

Aphex is always the first 'out there' electronic artist people who are not particularly into electronic music namecheck in a bid to appear 'with it'. Him or squarepusher. I can't stand either tbh.

But Skrillex is only a young guy and he doesnt come from an electronic music background.... and neither do his fans.

So Respect to him for passing on what knowledge he does have.

Sorry if that sounds horribly snooty

Aphex is always the first 'out there' electronic artist people who are not particularly into electronic music namecheck in a bid to appear 'with it'. Him or squarepusher. I can't stand either tbh.

But Skrillex is only a young guy and he doesnt come from an electronic music background.... and neither do his fans.

So Respect to him for passing on what knowledge he does have.

Sorry if that sounds horribly snooty

Skrillex uses frootyloops.

Nothing is more damning than that, and I dont know anything about music software either, except frootyloops is basically cheating.

I dont know either...

Someone I knew could knock out some decent stuff on frootyloops.But I've heard the same sentiment expressed by other people (although they were not in the know either...)

We need a software expert to tell us!!

Skrillex uses frootyloops.

Nothing is more damning than that, and I dont know anything about music software either, except frootyloops is basically cheating.

Cheating seems an odd idea to me, especially in dance music. Some people think the whole idea of using a sampler or whatever (and hence dance music as a whole more or less) is 'cheating'. Those people are idiots and should be mocked mercilessly, but putting in some other arbitrary technological line in the sand is just the same really. FWIW I think that about vinyl purists too.

Which doesn't stop Skrillex being shit, obviously.

For me Ambient Works Vol1 is a masterpiece (all the early stuff is great) - i'm a lot less into the more fucked up stuttery stuff that followed, but thats not just him, all the warp stuff like that - i can see why people love it though, its just not for me - I cant deal with drums that dont groove

Do you reckon Flim is a cinematic ode to the Welsh valleys? :hmm:

Nothing wrong with using fruityloops imo.

If Skrillex does what he does and people like it, then so be it. But dubstep isn't dubstep if it hasn't got any dub or 2-step in it if you ask me.

[/genre purist] :D

Pretty amazed he gets all that sound out of fruityloops - well done to him if true.

I dont reckon its genre purism even steph, pigeon hole names help you know what to expect and Skrillex breaks trading standards rules on that - i dont mind having all the different names for sub sub genres - dubstep could do with more of them.

For me Ambient Works Vol1 is a masterpiece (all the early stuff is great) - i'm a lot less into the more fucked up stuttery stuff that followed, but thats not just him, all the warp stuff like that - i can see why people love it though, its just not for me - I cant deal with drums that dont groove

The Analogue Bubblebaths, first Ambient Works, Polygon Window, Ventolin, etc. are amazing. I lost him with the Hangable Auto Bulb stuff though and that whole 'stuttery' sound.

I dont reckon its genre purism even steph, pigeon hole names help you know what to expect and Skrillex breaks trading standards rules on that - i dont mind having all the different names for sub sub genres - dubstep could do with more of them.

That and people who have got into 'dubstep' through Skrillex, then go on about dubstep in terms of him yet don't 'get' or slag-off the original, what I consider proper dubstep sound - 'this Loefah is boring, doesn't drop hard enough, not noisy enough'.

and they'd have a point, the genre has moved on, you can't expect everything to still sound like Burial y'know:D

Well yeah, but listen to guys like Silkie, Mala and Distance who have developed the sound, fusing it with all manner of other genre's and influences yet it's still got at its heart dub and 2-step. Skrillex after Skrillex tune just seems to be about big and noisy drops and nothing else really.

I know some very highly regarded, quite well known musicians in various fields who use Fruityloops. Wisp, for one. As always, it's what you do with it that counts.

I don't much like Skrillex's music, but he seems a decent enough bloke, and if Flim is his favourite tune then maybe, in a few years, he'll widen his palette and start making genuinely interesting stuff. However, Skrillex fans in general can take a hike.

Back
Top Bottom