Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should the BOC spend £52m on he London Opening Ceremony?

Should 2012 match China's spending on the opening ceremony?

• Yes, spend money like it's water!

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • No, they're already costing too much as it is

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Other serious internetz suggestions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Comedy option

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

kyser_soze

Hawking's Angry Eyebrow
Bearing in mind how much the rest of it's costing, that's a drop in the aqautic centre budget, but should the 2012 have the same 'Wow!' approach and spend a similar amount, or do something lower key?

Match China's spending ? I don't think it will ever be known how much that ceremony cost, But I'm guessing it was quite a lot less than 52million. Maybe if £50m is an estimate of how it may have cost to stage in the west.

I'd be surprised if any of 13,000 or so performers were paid a penny. so that leaves you with direction, costume and prop design manufacture & supply plus the cost of coreography?

I can see London spending close to £52 million, but achieving nothing close to as spectacular as the display in china.

Vancouver is hosting the 2010 Olympics and made it very clear that they don't have the same budget as the Chinese opening cermonies.

I'm sure that they will be very nice.

I'd be surprised if any of 13,000 or so performers were paid a penny.

you think they all practised for god knows how long (the firework fakery took a year to get right apparently!) without being paid at all? China's bad, but even they aren't that bad.

Match China's spending ? I don't think it will ever be known how much that ceremony cost, But I'm guessing it was quite a lot less than 52million. Maybe if £50m is an estimate of how it may have cost to stage in the west.

Umm, the Chinese have said it was around the $100m mark...

Yeh totally, we should out-do the Chinese with their fake singing kid and made for TV graphics.

Get the Queen's Guards out in force for a start, mounted cavilry and plenty of changing the guard style military precision movements. Totally out-doing the Chinese goose stepping flag marchers. We should get all the talent of the trooping the colour display and double it. Then get the Red Arrows doing an aeronautical display which goes over all the landmarks of London. The best of British street theatre and performing arts should also be showcased - take your pic from all the best stuff from Edinburgh and suchlike.

Then we should get super HD screens with Jamie Hewitt style characters performing live CGI - something that we'd really get a chance to showcase in front of the world that the Chinese didn't do. Maybe even get a performance by the Gorillaz or something like they did at the Brit awards in 2002.

Then, we need some more British superstar musicians...take your pic, we've got LOADS. I reckon something visual like the Pet Shop Boys would be good. They're always pretty visual. But we could even out-do that if someone got the Beatles to reform with Dhani Harrison and Julian (or Sean) Lennon. That would truly go down in history.

Then obviously get the major sports stars out in force. Redgrave, Christie, Lennox Lewis, Lewis Hamilton, Kelly Holmes, etc. before finally getting Beckham out one last time to light the torch preferably by kicking a flaming football into a goal in the sky which then ignites a giant flame.

Sorted.

Then, we need some more British superstar musicians...take your pic, we've got LOADS. I reckon something visual like the Pet Shop Boys would be good. They're always pretty visual. But we could even out-do that if someone got the Beatles to reform with Dhani Harrison and Julian (or Sean) Lennon. That would truly go down in history.

I think we should spend naff all so oppose all of your ideas especially half the fucken Beatles.

As some bod said on 5 Live the other day, keep it simple and get the Queen to cut a ribbon, have the athletes parade through and start the sport.

Yeah and have the blue riband* event of the Games, the 100 metres right in the middle of the ceremony. In fact we can have the Queen as the starter.

Sorted.

* well it think it's a naff event but the media seem to concur its the big hitter.

hmm, it's the big hitter if a brit or a yank is likely to win, otherwise it's deemed not that important.

Fwiw my idea for lighting the flame.

Although not the usual thing but every team entering the stadium has a torch carrier along side a flag carrier, lets say 200 torches.
Twenty torch bearers then light a mini flame, so we have ten of them and then each of those ten is carried by a legendary British Olympian to light the bigger flame. It is sort of symbolic of every nation having lit the flame bringing the world together!

light the flame with a box of swan vestas - if it's a bit windy, might take a few matches, have a spare box just in case

no it should be done like in action films. A burly hero tosses a lit book of matches over his shoulder which ignites a bit of oil which blows everything up.

Although not the usual thing but every team entering the stadium has a torch carrier along side a flag carrier, lets say 200 torches.
Twenty torch bearers then light a mini flame, so we have ten of them and then each of those ten is carried by a legendary British Olympian to light the bigger flame. It is sort of symbolic of every nation having lit the flame bringing the world together!

That's pretty cool actually, like you could even get the flame carrier start a chain of fire around the perimeter of the stadium and then light a giant torch in the middle which then floats to the sky. :cool:

The flag bearers and team following thing is the most tedious part of the whole Olympic gig - what the fuck are we supposed to be watching apart from hundreds of athletes videoing the tv people filming them?

And fireworks . . . do me a favour.

not sure the specifics work there, but the idea of all the nations lighting the flame is darn groovy.

Christ you're a miserable bastard aren't you? Do you hate rainbows too?
Do I hate rainbows . . :D I like rainbows, quick get the fireworks out!

Here's a challenge, try and think of a way to open a sports event that isn't a cock measuring competition with the last nation to host that event.

not sure the specifics work there, but the idea of all the nations lighting the flame is darn groovy.

Agreed. You should send that to the BOC bods in an email...

Agreed. You should send that to the BOC bods in an email...

Well thank you, nice to know that for once on these boards people dont think I'm talking complete bollox!:D

Another idea I had was maybe they could utilise the network of beacons that were set up years ago for one of the jubilees, maybe once the Olympic flame was lit the baecons all around the UK could be lit so the whole country could have some sort of ownership of the games!

Back
Top Bottom