Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Samsung Galaxy Nexus coming soon - could this be the phone of 2011?

editor

hiraethified
Details of the super curvy Samsung Nexus Prime are slowly being unveiled ahead of its launch next Tuesday, October 11th and I reckon it's worth a thread of its own because this could turn out to be a killer phone.

Google's executives have hinted that the next version of Android--dubbed Ice Cream Sandwich--will arrive this fall. Ice Cream Sandwich is going to take the best elements of Gingerbread 2.3 and merge them with the best elements of Honeycomb 3.2 to make one, all-encompassing operating system that works on smartphones as well as it does on tablets.

Ice Cream Sandwich is important because developers will only have to write applications once to run on both Android smartphones and tablets. As it stands today, developers have to create their applications for either Gingerbread or Honeycomb, and then adapt to the other. Not so with Ice Cream Sandwich. This is a big deal and will make the lives of developers much simpler.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/231900065

Here's a particularly wild guess:

NexusPrime-580x327-540x304.png

http://androidcommunity.com/nexus-prime-could-dock-with-ice-cream-sandwich-tablet-20111005/

I got excited about this....

.... until i heard about the curve.

Isn't that just going to make it take up more space in a pocket etc.

Oh and cause cases etc. to be expensive?

On a plus point if you place it face down on a surface less glass is going to contact so less chance of scratches n all that.

But if I step on it or something, something is more likely to give than with a flat phone.

I still can't believe they've actually called something Ice Cream Sandwich. Everybody took the piss out of Ubuntu for calling their updates Nerdy Nautilus, Aggravating Aardvark and so on. This is now acceptable behaviour? I am mad face.

I don't think most people give a shit about the name of the operating system, even when it's as rubbish as Ice Cream Sandwich. Or Snow Leopard.

Surely a curved screen is inherently weaker than a flat screen? And more prone to damage via being sat on / pressed flat etc...

I still can't believe they've actually called something Ice Cream Sandwich. Everybody took the piss out of Ubuntu for calling their updates Nerdy Nautilus, Aggravating Aardvark and so on. This is now acceptable behaviour? I am mad face.

I've never got why they do that. Is it about trying to be *cute*?

It's pretty common to have internal codenames for stuff. Granted, it's far less common to tell your end users what they are.

I seem to remember a previous project in a company I worked at many years ago called "UnFuck"...

That's exactly the point, internal stupid names are fine but using it for marketing is bloody odd. Especially as the names are more than a little shite!

It better have an SD card slot this time, can't believe that was omitted from the Nexus S. Saying that, still quite happy with my Nexus One, does everything I need it too, and even better with Cyanogen Mod on it.

Back
Top Bottom