Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sainsburys staff given targets to promote scab tills

J Ed

Follow Back Pro Expropriation
http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/201...-given-targets-to-put-themselves-out-of-work/

sainsburys-e1395866947879.jpg

Sainsbury’s workers are forced to live with a daily reminder that many of their jobs are soon to be replaced by self-scan check out machines. Astonishingly the sign above, stuck on the wall in Sainsbury’s, Lewisham, suggests they are now even given targets to work towards their own unemployment.

The tragedy is that in a world run for people, self-scan tills could be a great invention. Anything that makes the process of food distribution more efficient would simply mean the workers in that sector could take a well deserved rest. But in a world run for private profit, it means greedy supermarket bosses use new technology as a way to lay off workers and save cash. They don’t spend that cash on giving the remaining workers a pay rise of course. They don’t even spend it on cutting the price of food – have you noticed prices falling since self-checkouts were introduced?

A good reminder to avoid scab tills, they put people out of work, but my god this is so brazen and insulting.

I hope you used a typist to write that post for you.

The tragedy is that in a world run for people, self-scan tills could be a great invention. Anything that makes the process of food distribution more efficient would simply mean the workers in that sector could take a well deserved rest. But in a world run for private profit, it means greedy supermarket bosses use new technology as a way to lay off workers and save cash. They don’t spend that cash on giving the remaining workers a pay rise of course. They don’t even spend it on cutting the price of food – have you noticed prices falling since self-checkouts were introduced?

Twat

In a world run for people we won't need any kind of tills because we'll have done away with money altogether.

e2a: If you're trying to live a money-free lifestyle in the here and now of course, automatic tills are a godsend. I stole two bags of shopping the other day, completely by accident. I was halfway down the street before I realised I'd forgotten to pay. If the supermarket only had a few more staff on, maybe one of them would have spotted the error in time to stop me making good my escape :hmm:

Last edited:
http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/201...-given-targets-to-put-themselves-out-of-work/

sainsburys-e1395866947879.jpg

A good reminder to avoid scab tills, they put people out of work, but my god this is so brazen and insulting.

The very reason supermarkets came into being in the first place was as a more efficient way to sell groceries than a local shop where the shop keeper used to select what you wanted from various shelves and draws behind the counter.

The self service tills are one of hundreds, if not thousands, of ways to improve efficiencies. Notably - bar codes, 'loyality' cards and masssive databases, regional distribution centres, the PA system, conveyer belts, 24 hour opening, floor polishers, computerised stock and ordering, moving operations to head offices, home delivery dumping their typewriters etc.

The 'scab' tills make next to fuck all difference when compared with all the other technologies employed.

I can understand taking issue with supermarkets in general and their knocking out local shops, but IMO your ire towards 'scab tills' is because these are one of the more visible areas of efficiency 'improvements'.

Or, briefly, if you are concerned that you shopping habits could put people out of work then the only logical response is to avoid supermarkets altogether.

Difference to who? To what? Can you give some figures or something?

I can give you an anecdote. My parents used to run a fruit and veg shop. A lot of the produce came from local suppliers and it was part of the community. When a supermarket came to the village they lost a lot of their customers and they eventually they went bankrupt.

This was long before the automated tills, however the ever efficient supermarket with its efficient tax planning, frequented by people looking to get their shopping in as efficiently as possible wiped out what I firmly believe was a asset to the community. The value of which was far greater than can be measured by 'figures or something'.

I guess my point was that I find it impossible to separate out 'scab tills' to any other technique used by supermarkets to improve their efficiency. I've really know idea how many jobs these machines displace, however I presume its marginal compared to other technologies. If you have any figures I'd be interested.

As bi0boy stated I think a far more effective way to protect workers rights is through legislation.

And I'm sure you know exactly what I mean by efficiency, and any tone I was trying to convey in the use of the word was trying to be neutral, and cold.

They wouldn't keep the self scanning tills unless there were efficiency/productivity gains in doing so.

My local Tesco has seen 4 self-service tills only 18 months ago, increase to 10 now. Losing 6 classic tills/lanes. And whereas once they'd have 6 employees working them on at peak times, they now have 2 employees running around constantly between them having to 'swipe to continue' as the bloody things get stuck in 'please put the items in the bagging area' loops.

Yes. Staff can be redeployed elsewhere or it can be used to reduce waiting times. I've not noticed a reduction in the number of normal tills open.
Every supermarket I know has lost at least a couple of lanes, some of them are down to just the tobacco counter and self-service with no conveyor style tills left. I know till work is boring but at least you get to sit down. Supervising self service must be even worse.

Back
Top Bottom