Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Routemasters return to route 159

Puddy_Tat

naturally fluffy
for two days anyway...

This week marks 10 years since Routemaster buses were last in all day service in London, on route 159. Two events are planned for this week

On Wednesday 9 December, there will be a special service, organised by the London Bus Museum, Brooklands. Buses will run from about 1200 to 2000, every 10 minutes from Marble Arch to Lambeth North, extended every 20 minutes to Brixton Station.

More info and timetable here.

Buses will call at all 159 stops on line of route, and travel is free. Subject of course to space being available on any bus at any time.

The plan is for 9 Routemaster (late 1950s to 1960s) buses, 7 RT buses (1940s - mid 50s) and one 1990s low floor double decker (one of the first to run in London) which is now a museum piece (pardon me while I feel old) to be running. The timetable does not identify what bus will be on which journeys.

Probably stating the bleeding obvious, but (apart from the 1990s bus) these buses are not wheelchair or buggy friendly... TfL route 159 will of course operate as normal.

Then on Saturday 12 December, the Routemaster Owners Association is organising a run over the 1980s version of route 159 from West Hampstead to Thornton Heath and back. This is a 'owners and guests' thing so buses will not be calling at intermediate stops. More here

About a dozen buses will be running, from north to south then return.

There's no fixed timetable - buses are going to start leaving the assembly point at the Ace Cafe on the north circular from 1100. so I'd guess buses will start appearing southbound on the Brixton patch around lunch time, and early afternoon northbound.

(By the way, I'm not involved in either event so can't add to what's in the public domain here.)

a live update - there is some late running and not all timetabled buses are getting as far as brixton... last southbound was 12 minutes late and was turning back at kennington park

I remember the farewell to Routemasters back on 2005

routemaster-ten-years-2.jpg

I've publicised today's service on Buzz
Routemaster buses return to Brixton! Bus service to operate 9th and 12th Dec

I just hopped on a Routemaster through Brixton.

People of all ages seemed genuinely excited to see the bus and there was a general 'we prefer this to the new ones' consensus inside (accessibility issues notwithstanding, natch).

I've forgotten how satisfying it was to pull the cable to request a stop.

Had the pleasure of riding this bus to brixton yesterday.

Celebrating 10 years since they were decommissioned.

Was very funny watching the reaction of school kids...One asked where the bell was ☺

Really loved these buses as a kid and was always jumping on and off them as a kid. This was was made in 1967, the year I was born.

Back
Top Bottom