Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ramsay's Bad Boy Bakery cakes from Brixton prison

editor

hiraethified
Good to see Caffe Nero stocking them. They were *well* tasty too!

bad-boys-bakery-brixton-prison-011.jpg

bad-boys-bakery-brixton-prison-031.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/we-bite-into-a-bad-boys-bakery-cake-from-brixton-prison/

Great idea and project.
I have some initial reservations about the branding. It is fun and appealing and I'd buy it but not convinced whether bigging up being a Bad Boy is a entirely in line with the project aims.

Fine Cell is another superb venture.

You know that programme is 50% artificial don't you?
Link please.

Here's a Guardian article:
The prison eventually called a halt to Ramsay's visits to the wings, on account of the disruption. But 11 branches of Caffè Nero in London now stock Bad Boys' Bakery's cakes and wraps, and if all goes well the kitchen will be financially viable and continue to operate long after the show has aired. I met some of the inmates, one of whom had never cooked so much as "a bowl of cereal" until he met Ramsay, and their enthusiasm was both palpable and touching. This is reality TV with a conscience, more concerned with rehabilitation than fine dining, and in that respect feels closer to Jamie Oliver territory than the usual Ramsay TV fare. The project's purpose is both impressive and quite simple – to give repeat offenders an employable skill they can use on the outside, to keep them from winding up inside yet again...

He doesn't appear to have enjoyed it much, though. "From day one, just sat in that fucking waiting room, trying to get in, with no phone, and then being treated like a piece of shit. Everything was going against me; the system was completely screwed, the governor was treating me like one of his bitches. And I was banging my head against a brick wall."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/08/gordon-ramsay-behind-bars

Great idea and project.
I have some initial reservations about the branding. It is fun and appealing and I'd buy it but not convinced whether bigging up being a Bad Boy is a entirely in line with the project aims.

Fine Cell is another superb venture.
Well, if you're in prison you generally are a bad boy, and I think the name is catchy and distinctive enough to stand out. I was full of reservations at first, but I think the project is a great idea.

Well, if you're in prison you generally are a bad boy, and I think the name is catchy and distinctive enough to stand out. I was full of reservations at first, but I think the project is a great idea.
I'd like to think that you are in prison because you have been a bad boy - and that the project is about giving people a sense of worth and helping them to not be bad boys.

Other than that, yes it is catchy and distinctive and memorable and in a good cause. I'm sure it will do well.

I was in Nero the other day when a customer asked one of the Baristas for a Bad Boy cake, should have seen the look on her face!

Anyway are these the Lemon drizzle cakes? No doubt made with the prisoners special sauce.

IIRC someone was on here saying their mates (who weren't in HMP Brixton) had been auditioned for the show. I assumed they were partly using people just let out on probation, but it was never confirmed...
That was me. And I was saying that my friend was auditioned for the TV trailer. The prisoners in the series are real.

I noticed that the trailers recreated scenes from the actual series with actors. I thought it was a really weird thing to do. Why?

I noticed that the trailers recreated scenes from the actual series with actors. I thought it was a really weird thing to do. Why?
I think I might know - might it be because they stopped Ramsay coming into the prison towards the end?

I think I might know - might it be because they stopped Ramsay coming into the prison towards the end?

No, because the trailer featured a scene - with actors - with Ramsay telling the inmates that they would be making fairy cakes. And then in the programme itself there was the exact same scene but with the actual inmates.

No, because the trailer featured a scene - with actors - with Ramsay telling the inmates that they would be making fairy cakes. And then in the programme itself there was the exact same scene but with the actual inmates.
Maybe the inmates just didn't fancy acting in the advert.

Possibly because being filmed by Channel 4 while you do something in prison is different to actually making a commercial advert for Channel 4 whilst in prison?

Only a guess mind.

when did you buy that ed? Seth and I were chatting after the programme last night and wondered if they were still being stocked...

Back
Top Bottom