Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe is 89 and running for another term.

Robert Wilson

Hi everyone. The longterm President of Zimbabwe, Robert Mugabe, recently celebrated his 89th birthday and has pledged to run for another 5 year term once national elections are called. What do you think of this? Do you think he should retire or should have retired long ago? Do you think he is a national hero or a criminal?

My personal opinion on the matter is that although Mr Mugabe has done a lot for his country it would have been best for him and for his country to retire in the year 2000 after 20 years in power. The western press, especially so in the United Kingdom and some in South Africa, paint him as some sort of mad man dictator. Now of course there are questions around recent elections but the British presses obsession with the land question and the tiny number of white settlers involved to me smacks of racism and nolstagia for the days of the illegal Rhodesia regime. I don't know but I think when one looks at the struggle against imperialism, the education system that he built (one of the best in Africa) and the fact that he did eventually solve the land question should give him credit. But then again his unwilliness to give up power, the election violence, his role in the ethnic violence in the early 80s, the ruined economy of the early 2000s might well have destroyed what could have been a good legacy.

Would be interested in what other people think.

(A bit of disclosure about myself I spent the years 1978 to 1983 as a primary schoolkid in Zimabawe. My parents were settlers from Northern Ireland and we lived in Bulawayo.)

How many boys did you have working for you on the plantation?

Very funny! We came from a working class family, my father was a train driver, we had no servants and we could not even afford a washing machine and a TV. So the myth that all 'white' settlers lived a life of luxury sipping cocktails by the pool is rubbish.

Given the state that Zimbabwe is in now, it is hard to imagine how much worse he will make the country if he stays. There can't be many worse people than him.

Very funny! We came from a working class family, my father was a train driver, we had no servants and we could not even afford a washing machine and a TV. So the myth that all 'white' settlers lived a life of luxury sipping cocktails by the pool is rubbish.
What do you think about the way that the country is run nowadays? Do you sincerely believe that the country is in any way better under this man?

What are 'settlers' doing in 1978? Weren't you just 'immigrants'?

What are 'settlers' doing in 1978? Weren't you just 'immigrants'?

Very true Johnny, just got used to calling it that as thats what my parents called us. (and yes I'm sure they must have had a colonialist attitude to move there in the first place, something I now look back with some embarrisment and shame). Yes we were immigrants.

Real name and real photo isn't usually a troll. It has a very high possibility of being a loony, although at the moment Robert is disappointing on this front. With a bit of luck, a florid single-issue obsession will emerge.
Then ban him? He does sound to be a bit of a nutter if he is so completely unaware of the situation in Zimbabwe as his post suggests.

He's mad and bad and should have done the world a favour and popped his clogs 25 years ago
Mugabe that is;)

What do you think about the way that the country is run nowadays? Do you sincerely believe that the country is in any way better under this man?

After a visit back in 2006 I could clearly see that the country was in a state of ruin, no running water, very little electricity, massive inflation. As I said in my first statement he should have retired in 2000 and who knows what may have happened. As for the country today, well things have calmed down a bit, the economy has started growing again, poverty is down, agricultural yeilds are up. Who knows what will happen in the up and coming elections, should he be standing for another 5 year term as President? No.

After a visit back in 2006 I could clearly see that the country was in a state of ruin, no running water, very little electricity, massive inflation. As I said in my first statement he should have retired in 2000 and who knows what may have happened. As for the country today, well things have calmed down a bit, the economy has started growing again, poverty is down, agricultural yeilds are up. Who knows what will happen in the up and coming elections, should he be standing for another 5 year term as President? No.
Have things calmed down in reality? Or is it just less bad than it was? I cannot imagine that, unless you are one of the inner circle, that many people have a standard of living approaching anything like the one they had before Mugabe came along.

Listen guys. I just wanted some friendly chat on the subject. I not a 'troll' or a 'nutter'. I was under the impression that this was a democratic forum and that everyone was entitled to express their views. By trying to get me banned I don't see that as very fair do you?

Listen guys. I just wanted some friendly chat on the subject. I not a 'troll' or a 'nutter'. I was under the impression that this was a democratic forum and that everyone was entitled to express their views. By trying to get me banned I don't see that as very fair do you?
This is an open minded forum. But to make such a controversial subject, and statement, for your first post does come across as being deliberately provocative. You would have been better off lurking for a while, getting yourself known, and participating in some of the discussions before starting this thread.

Have things calmed down in reality? Or is it just less bad than it was? I cannot imagine that, unless you are one of the inner circle, that many people have a standard of living approaching anything like the one they had before Mugabe came along.

I was there a couple of years ago. Things have improved if you have access to hard currency. The supermarkets in Harare were full of lovely South African goods. For everyone else, elsewhere, I'm not so sure.

it is interesting how the mad dictator Mugabe completely dropped off the mass media's radar after they struck a deal with the MDC. A cynic would imagine that they must have made a deal over whichever of Zimbabwe's natural resources Tsvangirai's backers were really interested in...

it is interesting how the mad dictator Mugabe completely dropped off the mass media's radar after they struck a deal with the MDC. A cynic would imagine that they must have made a deal over whichever of Zimbabwe's natural resources Tsvangirai's backers were really interested in...

Could be.

Though the mining guy I met wasn't so sure...

This is an open minded forum. But to make such a controversial subject, and statement, for your first post does come across as being deliberately provocative. You would have been better off lurking for a while, getting yourself known, and participating in some of the discussions before starting this thread.

He didn't say anything controversial. And the fact that Mugabe is running again... is a fact.

I can't see why new posters get so much stick.

This is an open minded forum. But to make such a controversial subject, and statement, for your first post does come across as being deliberately provocative. You would have been better off lurking for a whoile, getting yourself known, and participating in some of the discussions before starting this thread.

Good point mate. I'm pretty new to the online forum scene so not sure the in's and out's yet.

Back
Top Bottom