Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Poll: Cardiff is the best place to live in the UK

editor

hiraethified
When I was growing up there it was, frankly, a dump, but it has enjoyed an incredible turnaround.
It is a brilliant city these days.
Cardiff is the best place to live in the UK according to a poll of the residents of Europe’s top cities.

Cardiff was one of six cities in the UK to be surveyed, alongside London, Glasgow, Belfast, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Manchester.

It came top out of these six cities in most categories with 92% saying they liked living in the Welsh capital.

In terms of cultural attractions, Cardiff’s residents are some of the most content in Europe with 93% saying they were happy with the city’s offering beating cultural big-hitters Paris, Berlin and Athens.

With the Millennium Centre welcoming more than a million people every year and two national theatres of Wales based in Cardiff the city seems to be just as popular with residents as with the millions of tourists who visit every year.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/cardiff-voted-one-best-cities-7503586

I was off to Cardiff to man a stand at a Health and Safety show a few years back
I rang the Cardiff City tourist department and asked the girl, "Whats to do in Cardiff then?"
"You'll love it" she says " we are the binge drinking capitol of Europe"?????
:confused::eek::D

When I was growing up there it was, frankly, a dump, but it has enjoyed an incredible turnaround.
It is a brilliant city these days.
Loved the "dump" '79 to '82, but now the centre just seems like anywhere-elseville, frankly.

Of course some people might look for different things in a city, making all polls of this nature fairly meaningless.

As for what tourists think of a place, well tourists can fuck off and take their shit opinions with them :)

suspect (though happy to be proved wrong) that Cardiff's turnaround may be at the expense of surrounding towns and villages in terms of investment in infrastructure etc. some of them small welsh towns are grim!

I lived in Cardiff for a year in the mid '70s. What I liked about it was that it was slow moving and old-fashioned. I had moved from Leeds which was much more modern and fast moving.

I have been back a few times since then and the place has completely been re-built and I couldn't find my way around any more.;

perhaps the good people of cardiff are just easily pleased? manchester is obviously better than cardiff and i say that entirely objectively. the only thing cardiff really has going for it is it's close proximity to barry island

perhaps the good people of cardiff are just easily pleased? manchester is obviously better than cardiff and i say that entirely objectively. the only thing cardiff really has going for it is it's close proximity to barry island
It's only about an hour from Bristol too

Speaking entirely subjectively, as visitors (and CAMRA-types :D ) we prefer Bristol to Cardiff.

Cardiff is that much better than Swansea in terms of pub choice/ale choice/cider choice, but Bristol is far better than either. In our humble opinions like.

To live in? Not on any kind of practical aganda for us, but again Bristol would attract more if I were to trip over a pile of money in the street.

I'm with Ed. It's changed vastly for the better since I left (though I rated it as cracking then too), which may or may not be coincidence. I'm often tempted to return.

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to "Poll: Cardiff is not in the top five worst places to live in the UK"
Errr....perhaps you mis-read that list? It included London, which includes the UK's Shangri-la....South London.

HTH:p

kinnel mate; you the warm-up man at the chapel of rest?

It's right though. :(

I've never been to Cardiff so have no idea what it's like, but then I've only been to Wales once so I'm not really qualified to comment on the place at all. :)

ETA - no, twice. I passed through it briefly on a train journey to Bristol. For some reason it took a dog-leg into Wales and then back to England.

I lived in Cardiff for a year in the mid '70s. What I liked about it was that it was slow moving and old-fashioned. I had moved from Leeds which was much more modern and fast moving.

I have been back a few times since then and the place has completely been re-built and I couldn't find my way around any more.;

lol

Love to reply but am super busy having super time in super Dooper Càaaaaaaaardiff city! :cool:

All these kind of polls are bullshit, obviously, but.....
Cardiff has a lot going on whilst remaining small enough to be friendly, it's ridiculously green, it's one of the most affordable major cities leaving more money to have fun, it really comes into its own in summer with sea and mountains so close by, so I can see why it does well.

It does need better integrated public transport. That's my major bugbear, I'm car dependant for work here and don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom