Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Police crackdown on those who "commit" rough sleeping

images

So what the fuck do they intend doing with any rough sleepers found? There's nowhere to put them and a fine would be pointless.

I don't know about the other councils mentioned, but Westminster council were trying to get the soup runs banned and generally being cunts 3 years ago when I lived there. What the fuck do they think is going to happen, people are going to decide that being homeless and begging isn't as fun as it used to be and go and get a flat and a job?! :mad: When I got done for begging, I switched to shoplifting and other crime for a bit until the heat died down.

So what the fuck do they intend doing with any rough sleepers found? There's nowhere to put them and a fine would be pointless.

There are hostels and support agencies (to varying degrees) in all these boroughs. Local authority homelessness services are linked to someone's local connection entitlement to housing. Even when rough sleeping.

There might be a shortage of hostel places that take dogs or accept couples. There might be a host of reasons why someone who sleeps rough doesn't "accept" (or "engage" with) support.

And that's the point. Rough sleepers make choices and are entitled to. Often, they face many vulnerabilities. And now, they are vulnerable to institutionalised abuse and a denial of basic human rights. CUNTS. :mad::mad:

I don't know about the other councils mentioned, but Westminster council were trying to get the soup runs banned and generally being cunts 3 years ago when I lived there. What the fuck do they think is going to happen, people are going to decide that being homeless and begging isn't as fun as it used to be and go and get a flat and a job?! :mad: When I got done for begging, I switched to shoplifting and other crime for a bit until the heat died down.

Yeah, I was working in front-line services in Westminster then. We fought it like a bitch. We won that battle. We need to fight again.

<snip>There might be a host of reasons why someone who sleeps rough doesn't "accept" (or "engage" with) support.

And that's the point. Rough sleepers make choices and are entitled to. Often, they face many vulnerabilities. And now, they are vulnerable to institutionalised abuse and a denial of basic human rights. CUNTS. :mad::mad:
Fair point - one girl (I use the word advisedly, she was only just 16, incredibly naive, subliterate, and tiny) who was found a room in the HA houseshare had preferred to sleep in carparks because she'd felt far safer there than in the alternatives.

Yeah, I was working in front-line services in Westminster then. We fought it like a bitch. We won that battle. We need to fight again.

I'm glad to hear they didn't manage it then - I was around when they were trying it (me and the dog were in inside housing magazine after a protest and everything :D ) but I moved up to Scotland not long after. People need to get fucking angry about this shit, it's a fucking disgrace.

Another thing about them giving ASBOs out - begging's a non imprisonable offence but breaching an ASBO isn't. But let's all lock up the beggars so the streets are nice and tidy and we don't have to think about the poor people, and if they can't get the jail for begging we'll just find a way around it.

I don't think it's apathy. I think it's a lack of viable methods of organising. Lack of links between people who live close to each other. Lack of any clear way to influence politicians. You can't expect people to just 'do something' when something outrageous like this comes along - because why invest time in some tiny protest or whatever that will be ignored? And then go home feeling more powerless than when you left? It has to be built over time and there's bugger all long term local organising.

I don't think it's apathy. I think it's a lack of viable methods of organising. Lack of links between people who live close to each other. Lack of any clear way to influence politicians. You can't expect people to just 'do something' when something outrageous like this comes along - because why invest time in some tiny protest or whatever that will be ignored? And then go home feeling more powerless than when you left? It has to be built over time and there's bugger all long term local organising.

There's loads out there with the 'I'm all right Jack' fucking attitude. Other countries are on the streets fighting back. What the fuck are we doing? Fuck all. And it's just not about this story, It's a culmination of their shite.

If a Tory dare knock on my door, I'd knock the fucker out.

But yeah, take your point aboot organising - it's hard enough organising in the workplace, let alone smashing state heads.

Last edited:
looks like we are gonna get busy?
I'm glad the scum have revealed their true colours.....
we will beat them again and again and again.......
perhaps this time we might make a difference?

Back
Top Bottom