Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Planning to get a rescue dog, do I have to tell landlord?

i'mnotsofast

I have a really deep longing to get my first dog. My family's golden retriever died two months ago and I was home for her last ten days. We always had dogs when I grew up, and I've always loved them.

Next week I'm moving into a basement flat in a terraced house. There's two bedrooms, a lounge, and a double-glazed conservatory, which has been turned into a third bedroom. The conservatory gives access to the long, fenced-in garden. My room would be the conservatory, and the dog's bed would be there too.

The flat's also just down the road from a park, and I work from home. At the weekends I'd take the dog on the bus or train to a bigger park for a truly long walk. I would like to get a black labrador rescue dog.

I'm worried about two things though. Firstly, the landlord. My friend who's already living there tells me it's very informal. I'll never meet the landlord or have to sign a contract. He lives about 50 miles away but never visits. He doesn't really care who's living there as long as he gets a check for the rent each month. As for the deposit, the person moving in just refunds it to the person who's moving out.

So is it worth trying to contact the landlord and ask his permission? My gut feeling is "No, don't bother" in case he says no. But I would hate it if he found out six months down the line and told me to leave.

We're in the basement flat, but he also owns and rents out the flats on the floors above, so obviously the people there will find out we've got a dog.

I believe the tenants from the upstairs flats are also entitled to access the garden through another door in the communal hallway. At the moment the key's been lost, so we'll need a locksmith to change the lock. But surely come the summer they'll all know about our dog.

Also I'm looking to get a rescue dog, and I know the organisations make home visits before they'll let you take one of their dogs. It might be an issue with them, too, that they want to see a tenancy agreement that okays pets first. I know Battersea Dogs Home require this, but I'm not sure about smaller organizations.

Finally, if I'm not going to be able to get a dog I don't want the conservatory (since it's cold in winter, hot in summer, and a bit exposed). I'll take one of the bedrooms instead.

So, what should I do?

I wouldn't fancy having a conservatory for a bedroom. The cold in winter/hot in summer could be a nightmare.

I do think you should tell the landlord first. Even if he doesn't mind, the upstairs tenants might so it would be best to tell them that you already have the landlords permission.

Good luck, apart from you possibly freezing to death in the conservatory your home situation sounds good for a dog.

My friend who's already living there tells me it's very informal. I'll never meet the landlord or have to sign a contract. He lives about 50 miles away but never visits. He doesn't really care who's living there as long as he gets a check for the rent each month. As for the deposit, the person moving in just refunds it to the person who's moving out.

That sounds like a total fucking nightmare, leaving you open to allsorts of exploitation / additional costs / abuse / etc.

Why the fuck would any semi-competent landlord not have a contract in place? It's not like it's complicated. I'm a landlord, and renting. I wouldn't touch that kinda offer with a bargepole.

Re: the deposit. How on earth do you know it's guaranteed? How are you meant to know it's logged with the DPS? And, consequently, how are you meant to have any hope of reclaiming it if things go tits up?

That sounds like a total fucking nightmare, leaving you open to allsorts of exploitation / additional costs / abuse / etc.

Why the fuck would any semi-competent landlord not have a contract in place? It's not like it's complicated. I'm a landlord, and renting. I wouldn't touch that kinda offer with a bargepole.

Re: the deposit. How on earth do you know it's guaranteed? How are you meant to know it's logged with the DPS? And, consequently, how are you meant to have any hope of reclaiming it if things go tits up?

I'm moving into this flat after a couple of years squatting. The main attraction is one of my best friends is living there already, and it's a very long time since I've lived with a friend.

I think there is a contract in place, but it hasn't been updated recently. Maybe we'll get it redrawn/amended. Also it is just for the two bedrooms, not the conservatory which the landlord doesn't know is being rented. I will ask my friend about this, because of course if there is a contract I can see if it mentions pets! If it does, though, I'm sure it will be to exclude them,

I don't know at all if the deposit is guaranteed or logged. But the way it will be reclaimed is that, when I move out, the person who moves into my room will pay it back to me. Just like I've just paid £220 to the girl who's moving out. So the deposit becomes something to be sorted out between the departing and incoming tenant, with the landlord not being involved at all. That also means you can be sure of getting the full sum back.

FWIW, the rent is £260 a month for the biggest bedroom, £220 for the smaller room, and £220 for the conservatory. That's less than I paid when I first moved to London in 1996.

<edited due to new info above>

If taking the conservatory would be worthwhile if it meant you could have a dog, then you're probably best off talking to the other tenants informally about it to see if they're likely to kick off and for any info on what the landlord is likely to think. You'd have to undertake to keep the garden clear of shit and stuff like that.

We live in a steel tube with lots of single-glazed windows, so have similar problems with heat/cold at different times of the year. The room will only be really bad for a couple of months in summer and a couple of months in winter. If you can open windows/doors at opposite ends to get a through breeze in summer, it's bearable. In winter we have a solid fuel stove which is so hot we have to open some windows occasionally to cool down, but that probably isn't possible for you. A good heater will make all the difference, but it will be costly. If the rent on that room is lower - as it presumably is if noone would choose it - it might work out evens on cost.

It doesn't sound like you'll even be able to tell the landlord.

A rescue organisation might well want to see a contract, yeah, so it's best if you find it; odds, are, if he's that informal, it won't say 'no dogs.' Obviously it's better for you to have a contract too, though I can understand you chancing it for rent that low!

<edited due to new info above>

If taking the conservatory would be worthwhile if it meant you could have a dog, then you're probably best off talking to the other tenants informally about it to see if they're likely to kick off and for any info on what the landlord is likely to think. You'd have to undertake to keep the garden clear of shit and stuff like that.

We live in a steel tube with lots of single-glazed windows, so have similar problems with heat/cold at different times of the year. The room will only be really bad for a couple of months in summer and a couple of months in winter. If you can open windows/doors at opposite ends to get a through breeze in summer, it's bearable. In winter we have a solid fuel stove which is so hot we have to open some windows occasionally to cool down, but that probably isn't possible for you. A good heater will make all the difference, but it will be costly. If the rent on that room is lower - as it presumably is if noone would choose it - it might work out evens on cost.

I've got one of these oil-filled radiators and it's an absolute beast: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Ra...6YWY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1291646569&sr=8-6

But, yes, too hot and too cold does seem likely to be a problem. The guy moving out of the conservatory is going precisely because it's too cold, even with a four-poster-bed style cover around the bed.

I think the best option is for me to take the bedroom, let my friend take the conservatory (he would like it anyway), and then wait till spring. In the meantime get to know the people in the flats upstairs, check the idea with them. And get my name put on the contract, and try raising the issue with the landlord.

The other access to the garden is via the hallway door which is just next to the door to our flat. Once I have this open, I could let the dog out that way, but it wouldn't be so easy as I would have to stay out, he couldn't just walk back in to our flat without two doors needing opening and closing.

My friend who would like the conservatory is also happy with us getting a dog, so I think I will just have to get him really involved so that by spring he is happy with the dog walking through his room all the time!

I'm just looking at rescue dog websites. This puppy is absurdly cute!!

http://www.mayhewanimalhome.org/dogs/2010/buttons/index.php

But I did notice the reason he's at The Mayhew rescue centre is because his previous owners failed to get permission from their landlord before buying him.

So, yes, I do see it would be irresponsible to get a dog without clearing it with the landlord first.

If it's that big a deal for me, I can always move. But I expect finding cheap ground floor flats with gardens within zone 3 London is not so easy...

Oh - apparently there really is no contract!

I've had "absent" landlords before and they're great until something goes wrong. Have to hope the boiler doesn't break down, etc. Still, there is no question, I am definitely moving in because it's one of my best friends there, the rent is next to nothing, and I despise the people in the squat I'm moving out of.

My friend does have a phone number for the landlord. He's going to phone up tonight and ask if he minds if we get a dog...

Most rescue centres will insist on seeing something in writing from your landlord before they let you rehome.

Yes, I've noticed that on the sites I've been looking at. So if the landlord does agree, we'll have to ask him to send us a letter or something okaying it. Although without a contract that might not be enough to prove he is actually the landlord!

I'm just reading this great thread on rescue dogs: http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/100415-thinking-rescuing-read-here.html

I'm enjoying reading the sometimes very detailed descriptions of the personalities of dogs needing to be rehomed. Toby from Many Tears sounds a bit like me!:

This poor, confused little chap really has had a troubled past with far too many homes and has many behavioural issues to overcome but he is doing so very well with it all at the moment. He needs a lot of exercise and play so that he can use his energy in a productive way instead of concentrating it all on his obsessions. His little mind gets so busy sometimes that he just can't cope with it all....he needs a calm, steady but firm influence from his forever people so that his insecurities can be sorted.

A dog like the one above would need a home in a very settled household. One where dfferent people didn't keep coming and going and one with a regular routine and a calm atmosphere.
I know you mean well and your intentions are good but please be very careful if and when you are able to have a rescue dog that the rescue center know your true situation and are able to match the appropriate dog to you.

A dog like the one above would need a home in a very settled household. One where dfferent people didn't keep coming and going and one with a regular routine and a calm atmosphere.
I know you mean well and your intentions are good but please be very careful if and when you are able to have a rescue dog that the rescue center know your true situation and are able to match the appropriate dog to you.

You're absolutely right. I wouldn't be able to offer the right home for a dog like that, which really needs a nice quiet home in the country. Our flat will be pretty calm with just three of us living there, and I'll definitely have a regular routine since I work from home. But, though I've lived with dogs for most of my life, this will be the first dog I've owned myself, so I'd really like one that needs lots of love, but doesn't have too many problems.

I'd be very happy with a 2-4 year old male black labrador.

Do any of you have experience with taking dogs on trains or buses?

There is a park very close to the flat, but it's quite a small one, no good for an hour-long ramble. To take the dog for a proper long walk we'd need to get the bus to Greenwich Park. I know you can take dogs on buses, but is it stressful for them?

Depends on the dog. Some love it, some hate it. Another thing you should discuss with the rescue centre.

Some stress is good, we all need to feel a certain level of stress in our lives. :) There's no telling whether a dog will be ok for traveling or not, some are terrible in cars (barking, over aroused) yet fine on trains and buses.

My dog is fine on the tube and train, but does show signs of stress on buses, it's not something I worry about, 'cos if you remove all stressors in an animal's life it doesn't leave them with anything to cope with, then when something really stressful happens they've got no coping mechanisms and completely shut down. :D

You will need landlord's permission, and I wouldn't sleep in a conservatory or leave a new dog in there, what if they chew all your stuff up or piss on your bed? :eek: :confused:

I'm visiting the flat tomorrow evening, so I will take another look at how secure the fence is.

We could put the dog's bed in the kitchen, I think there's room.

My friend is keener than I am on the conservatory, but I think he feels if we get a dog then I would really need it. I'll try to convince him that he can take the conservatory and it won't be a problem for the doggie to walk through it in spring and summer since this will mostly be daytime when he'll be at college.

My gut instinct was 'nah don't tell him' but having thought about it if the dog barks or whines at all the folk in the other flat might complain, then you might get chucked out. If there was really no way of the landlord finding out that'd be fine, but IMO he could easily find out. Then you could be homeless, with a dog. :(

I understand your yearning for a dog, big time but the situation has to be right to adopt a dog, this could get you in a situation where you have to take a dog you've fallen in love with back to the rescue centre.

Ask him.

My gut instinct was 'nah don't tell him' but having thought about it if the dog barks or whines at all the folk in the other flat might complain, then you might get chucked out. If there was really no way of the landlord finding out that'd be fine, but IMO he could easily find out. Then you could be homeless, with a dog. :(

I understand your yearning for a dog, big time but the situation has to be right to adopt a dog, this could get you in a situation where you have to take a dog you've fallen in love with back to the rescue centre.
Ask him.

Yes, you're right. So, my friend is going to phone the landlord and ask.

I think I'm feeling particularly strongly that I need a dog right now because since the weekend I've been back at my parents for the first time in two months, the first time since I was here seeing our 11-year old golden retreiver die of cancer. So while my parents - although still very sad - are now a little used to our dog not being around any more, for me it feels totally fresh. I dropped a bit of garlic bread on the floor the other day at dinner and expected her to be there to eat it. Before I put something in my bin I find myself thinking "Is that okay for the bin, what if the dog eats it?" and when I have a yoghurt I expect the dog to be there to lick out the empty pot. And I keep wondering what room she's in.

So there's both short-term grief and long-term longing here. But that doesn't mean I can forget practical issues.

I'll try to convince him that he can take the conservatory and it won't be a problem for the doggie to walk through it in spring and summer since this will mostly be daytime when he'll be at college.

Why is it too much trouble to walk the dog through the hallway? I love dogs and have always had dogs but there's no way I'd want someone else's dog walking through my bedroom/living space 3 or 4 times a day.

Why is it too much trouble to walk the dog through the hallway? I love dogs and have always had dogs but there's no way I'd want someone else's dog walking through my bedroom/living space 3 or 4 times a day.

Sure, it would be possible to take the dog out of the flat door and then through the adjacent hallway door into the garden. But then I would have to stay out with the dog the whole time.

Whereas when the weather's nice we could just have the conservatory door open, and let the dog come and go into the garden as it pleased.

For that reason, I think my friend will say if I get a dog I have to take the conservatory.

I think even without us getting a dog, the conservatory won't be at all private during the daytime come the summer, especially if the people from the upstairs flat exercise their right to use the garden.

i can confirm this works well with bully types too :cool:

Yep - my BF doesn't let dogs on the bed, but he works nights :hmm:

Re: OP

Most rescue organisations need to have it in writing from your landlord that it's ok to have the dog if you're renting, and if you're in the conservatory they will know straight away on the home visit that you rent.

They may also be unhappy with the dog potentially being locked in the conservatory on hot days when you go out, so your flatmates would have to be ok with it having access to the 'communal' areas.

Bar that, it would depend on the rescue society and how fussy they were. You would have to ask re the upstairs neighbours if it were to have free access to the garden all day in summer, etc.

I have smuggled dogs into rentals before, including one place where the dog hid under a blanket behind the sofa when the landlord came to collect the rent!

Back
Top Bottom