Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

People who shoot photos with their lens hood on backwards

Bungle73

I was there, now I'm here
Banned
Ever since I watched a YT video where someone was explaining about them, and how every time he sees someone with their hood on the wrong way round he wants to go up and tell them I'm seeing it all over the place. Was up in London yesterday and saw a guy near the British Museum with a DSLR taking pictures - lens hood on back to front. Why? Don't they realise??

But the camera isn't in storage it's being used. Also it makes sense to leave the hood on all the time, and in any case it adds protection to the lens. Leaving it on backwards just makes it look like you you don't know what you're doing.

Who cares what it looks like?
A lens hood isn't doing anything if it's on backwards.

Notice what he says about leaving the hood on the lens all time. He also makes a good point that with the hood on backwards you can't access the lens's controls properly.

But the camera isn't in storage it's being used. Also it makes sense to leave the hood on all the time, and in any case it adds protection to the lens. Leaving it on backwards just makes it look like you you don't know what you're doing.
I'll be sure to passs on your advice to the pros whose knowledge of photography makes you like like a cider addled country bumpkin.

I'll be sure to passs on your advice to the pros whose knowledge of photography makes you like like a cider addled country bumpkin.
Where are these "pros" who are walking around taking photos with their lens hoods on backwards? A true "pro" wouldn't do such a thing. Did you even bother to view the video I posted and take note of the points made?

Lens hoods can be obtrusive on wide angle zoom lenses. You need to turn it back to front otherwise the lens hood shadow will appear on the focal plane. They are also useful protection for your lens. They are designed to be reversible for a very good reason. Guy in the video is a plonker making a fool of himself.

I always use a rubber lens hood when shooting seriously, but I always use a standard/prime lens at a very small aperture. Lens hoods are extremely useful, but on wide angle shots with a large aperture they interfere - not helpful, so you turn them back to front when out of use.

Lens hoods can be obtrusive on wide angle zoom lenses. You need to turn it back to front otherwise the lens hood shadow will appear on the focal plane. They are also useful protection for your lens. They are designed to be reversible for a very good reason. Guy in the video is a plonker making a fool of himself.

I always use a rubber lens hood when shooting seriously, but I always use a standard/prime lens at a very small aperture. Lens hoods are extremely useful, but on wide angle shots with a large aperture they interfere - not helpful, so you turn them back to front when out of use.
Um, if the hood is appearing in your picture, you're using THE WRONG ONE!

You can't just throw any old hood on a lens. A hood is designed for a specific lens.

Um, if the hood is appearing in your picture, you're using THE WRONG ONE!

You can't just throw any old hood on a lens. A hood is designed for a specific lens.

Rubbish.

On a very wide angle, large aperture no lens hood would have any good effect.

The lens hoods which come with a lens are designed for the lens. However, they are always designed to be reversible for a very good reason. You think the manufacturers do that just for a laugh?

Rubbish.

On a very wide angle, large aperture no lens hood would have any good effect.

The lens hoods which come with a lens are designed for the lens. However, they are always designed to be reversible for a very good reason. You think the manufacturers do that just for a laugh?
So they take up less space in your bag. Do you think manufacturers expect people to run around using their cameras with the hood the the storage position? Of course they don't.

So they take up less space in your bag. Do you think manufacturers expect people to run around using their cameras with the hood the the storage position? Of course they don't.

Nope.

Space saving is a part of the design. So, why shouldn't people save space whilst shooting if the lens hood is not needed?

On a very wide angle the light is hitting the front element of the lens from every direction - there is no way you can shade the light without interfering with the image.

Try it if you're not prepared to believe us.

Why do yo need to "save space" if your camera is out in the open?

Because it leave the lens exposed to damage and dirt. Not to mention one can get stray light at any time.

OK. You are right and my 40 years of experience have taught me fuck all. Taught me fuck all. Taught lens designers fuck all. Other photographers can't see the point either. The World of lens hoods was all created just for you to have a laugh.

OK. You are right and my 40 years of experience have taught me fuck all. Taught me fuck all. Taught lens designers fuck all. Other photographers can't see the point either. The World of lens hoods was all created just for you to have a laugh.
What the fuck are you babbling about? What does any of that have to do with the post you quoted?
I keep mine attached to my lenses all the time, either forwards when in use or backwards when not. That way I know where it is, so when I need to use it I don't realise that it's sat in another bag at home or something.

I'm clearly an idiot.
What?

MjAxMi03OWVkZDkzMTFkOWQzMTk1.png

Some people hey?

They are beyond help. Really enjoy the company of people who always continue to learn, but bigots are boring.
What? Are you on drugs or something? Or maybe you should be on some? In what way has anything I said in this thread made me a "bigot"?? Jesus people on on this forum are become intolerable.

Back
Top Bottom