Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Oscars 2014

tumblr_mqq80q879j1r1n4v4o1_400.gif

Seen all the films apart from nebraska which I havn't even heard of.

I'm thinking gravity was the best of the bunch.

Best documentary feature - tough call between Act Of Killing and 20 ft from stardom. Both great movies but very different!

No Blue is the Warmest Colour for Best Foreign Film -- too controversial? Hope The Great Beauty wins that one. Agree on American Hustle -- entertaining enough but doesn't merit 10 nominations.

Wonder if something similar happened with The Hunt -- pretty sure it came out here in 2012? (Thought it was a good film so glad to see if nominated.)
I guess. It appears to have been released in Denmark in January 2013, which was after its UK release.

Reactions: Sue
Argo won best picture last year. I can't remember that far back, but there must have been better films than that. Argo was alright, but I wouldn't watch it again. [...] I took a look at films that came out in 2012 on the Internet and for me, all of these were better than Argo,

Haywire
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen
Prometheus
Dark Knight Rises
Compliance
The Paperboy
Lincoln
Deadfall
Django Unchained

So I don't care who wins this time.

Wonder if something similar happened with The Hunt -- pretty sure it came out here in 2012? (Thought it was a good film so glad to see if nominated.)
Just started watching that, and, after fifteen mins, I think I can see exactly how the next hour and a half is going to go. I'm not sure I can bear it.

Saw Gravity tonight -stunning visuals, but i preferred American Hustle. I'll go most of the other ones too, have high hopes for 12 years a slave. I live near a cinema, which is handy.

I saw 12 years a Slave this afternoon. It was astonishing. Brutal, beautiful, heart wrenching. Performances were amazing. Really difficult viewing (and rightly so).

That's the only of the nominated film I've seen as yet, but seeing Gravity at IMAX in Tuesday and hopefully Wolf of a Wall Street next Friday do will be able to compare and contrast.

Fwiw I thought Argo was a deserved winner last year.

Saw The Wolf of Wall Street tonight - like a coke binge itself, all fizz and debauchery. It's moreish but lacks the depth that other Scorcese films have...I think he may have deliberately styled it as a riot of bad taste, but it backfires somewhat. The script may be the problem. Should have also been over two hours, rather than three. Still worth seeing for Leonardo Di Caprio and Jonah Hill's performances.

Having now seen all the Best Movie contenders - which make up all of the nominee’s in the big 8 categories (barring a couple for August Osage thingy, which I simply detest everything about as far as I can tell, so sod it) I will offer my profound skill and judgement on the contenders:

Best Film

Gravity, 12 Years and Nebraska were the films that moved me most in their very different ways. In terms of the most amazing cinematic experience I think I have to plumb for Gravity, and think the academy will agree (tho 12 is obviously pretty much equally likely)

Director

So much of Gravity is the post-production, I'm giving this one to Steve McQueen. The academy will split this and Film between the two as well, one way or the other.

Actor

I wish I could say Bruce Dern, but it wasn't. Ejiofor and McConaughey are the clear favourites, and both gave superb performaces, but I think I'd go for Christian Bale as having to deliver a more nuanced performance, which he did.

The academy will go for McConaughey.

Actress

Well, it's just obviously Cate Blanchett. I'll fight anyone who disagrees. Up to and including Mickey Rourke.

Supporting Actor

Me - Leto narrowly ahead of Fassbender.

Academy - Abdi, tho either of mine could instead

Supporting Actress

Could be any of Hawkins, Lawrence or Nyong'o, but

Me - Lawrence

Academy - Nyong'o

Original Screenplay

The most interesting category in many ways, or at least the most wide open. I think any of the five could win, but i'd go for:

Me- Nebraska

Academy - American Hustle

Adapted Screenplay

Me & academy- 12 years, by a long antebellum mile

Foreign Language

I haven't seen Omar or the Missing Picture, but it doesn't matter. The Great Beauty should and will win.

Cinematography

I haven't seen Prisoners or the Grandmaster, but neither are gonna win, so...

Me - I just cant give the award to a film that's so much not in camera. So it's Inside Llewyn Davis. It had it's shortcomings overall for me, but looked perfect.

Academy - they have no such qualms. Gravity.

Shamefully, I haven’t seen any of the Best Docs, or Animated sections.

Main Oscar films, in order, imo

Gravity
12 Years A Slave
Nebraska
Great Beauty
American Hustle
The Hunt
Dallas Buyers Club
Broken Circle Breakdown
Philomena
Captain Phillips
Inside Llewyn Davis
Blue Jasmine
Wolf of Wall Street

Best film omitted for the biggies, All Is Lost (not counting Blue Is the Warmest Colour for daft 'technical' reasons)

Just watched Gravity - phenomenal, can't imagine what it must have been like on the big screen or IMAX. I think it's a better film than 12 Years, and not just for the effects/post work.

I wish the BBC still showed it live. As soon as I got old enough to be allowed to stay up all night and watch, the fuckers took it off. :( :(

Back
Top Bottom