Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"One The Elephant" 37-storey residential tower at E&C

Crispy

The following psytrance is baṉned: All
Construction has started on this new tower on the site of the old leisure centre, next door to the Tabernacle building.

1372685269_80.177.117.97.jpg

Zero "affordable" units (it's part of Lend Lease's big development of the area and the "affordable" element will be in other buildings). It will be a little bit shorter than the Strata tower over the road.

Oh my Lord. What happened at Elephant is an utter disgrace.

PS You don't mind doing a little write up on this for the blog do you?

On this building, or the development in general?
EDIT: Actually, make that a no, sorry!

Oh my Lord. What happened at Elephant is an utter disgrace.

I agree. I know that there is a lot of criticism about the gentrification of Brixton, but at least in Brixton the built environment is being left largely intact and there hasn't been this wholesale deportation of poorer people that has been going on in Elephant.

I agree. I know that there is a lot of criticism about the gentrification of Brixton, but at least in Brixton the built environment is being left largely intact and there hasn't been this wholesale deportation of poorer people that has been going on in Elephant.

I've just added a piece about the tower here: http://www.urban75.org/blog/one-the...ephant-and-castle-with-zero-affordable-units/

This quote from a local website seems to sum the process up well:

Next Tuesday 15th January 2013 will see Southwark Council’s Planning Committee gather at their Tooley St offices to rubber-stamp Lend Lease’s Masterplan for the Elephant and Castle area. They have already issued a press release about why the Masterplan needs to be approved and all the total unaccountable crud and spin that goes with it – making mixed communities, more money for affordable housing, new parks, new this and new that. There will be some kind of debate amongst the councillors on the committee and 5 minutes in total have been allotted for public objections on the biggest planning application ever received by Southwark.

Construction has started on this new tower on the site of the old leisure centre, next door to the Tabernacle building.

View attachment 34926

Zero "affordable" units (it's part of Lend Lease's big development of the area and the "affordable" element will be in other buildings). It will be a little bit shorter than the Strata tower over the road.
I notice that one of Brixton Green's locally elected board trustees is S106 Planning Agreements Manager at London Borough of Southwark (according to LinkedIn). Is Southwark's social housing programme as exhibited in One Elephant and Castle indicative of Brixton Green's attitude vis a vis Somerleyton Road?

It really is shit. I asked at one of the "consultation" events (2 years ago???) why the front block couldn't line up with the Tabernacle to hide the ugly flank wall of the church, and create a more generous courtyard between the front block and the tower. I was told that because that would involve a land swap with TfL that was "too complicated" and could delay the start of the project.

So much for "masterplanning". :mad:

It looks like it's been transplanted from Hong Kong.

No, but adverts for flat in Elephant have been going published Hong Kong (editor can confirm that I've got that right I think). It's the money not the buildings that will be transplanted from there. I was going to say the residents, but loads of the flats will get bought up and then sit empty much of the time I suppose.

Yeh i've seen the adverts for it here in hk in the south china morning post...

it doesnt look *that* bad, it looks a bit like my apartment building actually.

ach_J--Residence_Day.jpg

Back
Top Bottom