Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Old south London train seat fabric

Funnier than he thinks he is.
A weird request but does anyone know where I might get some of the fabric they used to cover the seats on the old tarins that used to operate in south London. Thetarins that used to have individual compartments for every two rows of seats with the doors you had to reach outside to open!! I material was really rough and had was grey with coloured dashes in it.

The London Transport Museum or National Railway Museum (don't know which this would come under) might be able to point you in the right direction.

You can get all sorts made from old train/bus seat fabric:

http://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/LTM/Clothing-accessories/Moquette-accessories.html

I think they had those slam-door trains right till the Eighties - I remember very well getting on them at Battersea Park!

Info on the fabric here http://www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/LTM/Furniture-collection/Our-moquette-range.html

Its not one of the one slisted, but did manage to find a pic by googling and following threads on train spotter sites(I've had a very interesting afternoon). On a favourite marquette thread someone posted that this is his fave as it reminds him of being a kid, which is excatly why I wanted to get hold of some to recover a chair!!

trojan_1838_1011.jpg

Its not one of the one slisted, but did manage to find a pic by googling and following threads on train spotter sites(I've had a very interesting afternoon). On a favourite marquette thread someone posted that this is his fave as it reminds him of being a kid, which is excatly why I wanted to get hold of some to recover a chair!!

trojan_1838_1011.jpg

All I want to know is how we went from those lovely seats the shit we have to sit on now. :mad::mad::mad::facepalm:

Anyone else from Glasgow who remembers the original blue trains that had heated sprung bench seats.
Those were so fantastic on a cold morning.

A couple of (very ancient) leads for the OP

http://www.railcar.co.uk/bulletin/073.htm [2002]

MOQUETTE Hasting Diesels Ltd. are on the verge of ordering a new run of Trojan moquette. If any groups are interested in ordering some of this, contact Micheal Pannell at michael.pannell@btinternet.com. The price is approx. £17 per metre.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brmk1/message/528 [2005]

We are about to place an order with Holdsworths for a batch of Trojan moquette. That is the grey moquette, with red / yellow / white flecks. A roll will cost about £500 - £550 + vat (subject to confirmation). Approx two rolls are required to reupholster a standard Mk 1.

Like us, you might have a coach or two in this moquette with worn seat bases, but pretty reasonable backs. This is an opportunity to save money, and just reupholster the seat bases.

If anyone is interested in joining with us, please let me know a.s.a.p. Once the order is placed, it is unlikely that we will be able to add to it.

Apologies if you get this more than once.

Richard Johnson
G W R, Toddington.

the latter one seems to suggest http://www.holdsworthfabrics.com/content/pages/moquette.asp

What about the trains on the Lymington branch? Do they still have the original fabric? (If they are still running the old slam door stock on that line at all).

I have been reading this with admiration and interest.

The vast fleet of Southern region slam door stock got "refurbed" in the 1980's onwards with 2 kinds of moquette trim , the standard BR blue / grey check for the inner suburban stuff like the much loved 4EPB South London stock and the more "glamerous" main line 4VEP , CIG etc got the NSE "Blue Blaze" trim , dark blue (apart from a desperate period when in the early days they came up with the awful Jaffa Cake livery which featured orange , brown and lime seat material (shudders !)

I wonder if some of this material might still lurk in the stores at say Slade Green , Selhurst and Wimbledon Park depots - in which case a polite enquiry to Southern , South Eastern or SWT might be in order. I would write in , nothing to be lost.

Thats the old 1957 Hastings line DEMU , didnt know it was still out and about .....

(It missed the 80's refurb all right....)

Cybertect, you are a star, thank you sir.

Just noticed ya tagline too...The Very Things?

not very relevant or helpful, but my girlfriend's dad got a cushion made out of old 80s bus/train seat covers from the british transport museum for christmas

A weird request but does anyone know where I might get some of the fabric they used to cover the seats on the old tarins that used to operate in south London. Thetarins that used to have individual compartments for every two rows of seats with the doors you had to reach outside to open!! I material was really rough and had was grey with coloured dashes in it.

I have found these people who sell the stuff, but would imagine they would only do a carriage or two's worth at a time.

May be worth contacting to see if they have offcuts.
SR Green Jazz and Blue Jazz look like they could have been designed in the 1990s!

Intercity Dogger Red is familiar from my youth. So is Green Candy Stripe. Was that in the original HSTs perhaps? And
Provincial Blue makes me think of loco hauled Regional Railways trains on the north wales coast.

If anyone really wants railway moquette - several of the larger preservation / heritage railways buy it.
(Holdsworths, the makers have minimum order amounts)

I have found these people who sell the stuff, but would imagine they would only do a carriage or two's worth at a time.

May be worth contacting to see if they have offcuts.
That brought back a few memories. Especially the Trojan - all those 4-SUBs/EPBs I'd be travelling around on as a kid.

Mind you, the colours, from recollection, weren't quite as bright :hmm:

trojan_1838_1011.jpg
Ah proper train seats that are actually confortable especially if you a a 6 foot 22 stone lump like me Whoever designs or specifies the seats in trains for the last 3 decades needs to bbe fired.

Ah proper train seats that are actually confortable especially if you a a 6 foot 22 stone lump like me Whoever designs or specifies the seats in trains for the last 3 decades needs to bbe fired.
I remember ill-advisedly dropping into a modern train seat, having got used to the idea that a 6 foot 16 stone lump like me could get away with doing that in yer typical 4-VEP type seat. It bloody hurt. For quite a long time afterwards, too.

Back
Top Bottom