Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nour cash and carry in Brixton faces another hefty rent rise

Brixton Hatter

Home is south London mate
As mentioned on the brixton chitter chatter thread, this one deserves a thread of it's own. Here's a summary:

Nour Cash & Carry to close. :( Their rent is being increased massively.

Giant dog's cock. That's one of the most useful stores in Brixton by a long way, with a reliably huge range of stuff.

The balance in the market is taking a turn for the worst if they're being forced out, the predictions sadly coming true. No amount of sodding vegan cupcake and gluten-free fakeries will make up for the loss of affordable and everyday stores like that one.

In a way the vegan cupcake people are part of the problem. They paid top whack and made no attempt to negotiate the rent. But it is their first shop and perhaps they don't know the ropes. They're burning loadsamoney on fitting out their shop, marketing etc.

Seems to me that individual tenants are being bullied with ease by the market landlord. They don't seem to have any organisation. I'm no expert onthese things, but might it help if they all used the same commercial agent and organised some more public support. Is there someone on here from Friends of Brixton Market who could fill us in? There must be a few urbs who would pitch in to help. I would. Maybe the market needs its own thread?

Re Nour: That's very sad news indeed.... a real loss. It's an amazing shop.

That's awful news if it's true.

But if Nour - who are basically packed all the time - cant survive there, who can?

Increasing the rents could just lead to loads of empty shops no-one can afford to rent.

Had a chat with Shaheen the owner. Yes, they're closing in Sept, with no plans to relocate. Seems that he and many other tenants have been ruthlessly shafted by the landlord. One of the stunts they pulled was a retrospective rent increase swiftly followed by a demand for £10,000 rent arrears! The tenants have no organisation and negotiate individually. Trying to get them to work together has proven difficult in the past because they don't have time to close up and come to a meeting and they're scared of the landlord. Sounds like meat and drink for a commercial estate agent and a commercial property lawyer.

Just some anecdotal stuff about Nour's that justify supporting that place:
- The staff have always been so helpful to my Mrs when she's come in struggling with shopping bags + baby in hand
- They are the only people to stock my Arabic groceries + fresh fruit and veg at a price that's cheaper than the Arabic shops on Edgeware Road + big supermarkets
- Spice selection second-to-none
- I always come out with tons of shopping that always seems to come to less than a tenner
- Veg selection is ace
- Seasonal fruits at Nour's- it's how I discovered pomellos and yellow unripened dates

I'm gutted. It's one of my favourite shops in the market. It sounds disgraceful the way they've been treated.

Nick h - do you get the feeling the owners are resigned to defeat? Or are they perhaps up for putting up a bit of a fight?

I would be more than happy to help them....

I agree with the previous posts. Nour is one of the main reasons i go to the market I can't believe it is going, where will I get all my spices from. It is also very cheap and the stock is amazing - so sad to think it will no longer be there
RIP Nour

This is all LAP's fault. It'll be service charges, not rent that's the problem, but it doesn't really matter what you call it. The "traditional trades" in the market are on 3 or 10 yr leases, where the service charges can be added almost at the landlord's whim, while the newer places are mostly on 1-year licences with fixed service charges. LAP made it a practice to divide and rule, suggesting that the new gentrifying places had interests diametrically-opposed to the traditional trades, and worked to keep it that way. They loaded lots of costs that they, the landlords, should have borne directly, onto the service charge, perhaps intentionally to drive out the traditional trades, and took the risk that they wouldn't be challenged.

Not surprised that Nours have had enough of it, but it is a catastrophic loss for the market.

However, the new landlords take over as from tomorrow.

I have no idea whether they are going to be any better than LAP but at least they know they can't raze-and-redevelop, which is what LAP always wanted to do until it was all listed.

Hopefully they will give a fuck, unlike anyone at LAP or in the market management office.

*If* they do, then *perhaps* they can be persuaded to do a fairer deal with Nour so that they stay. I'd say it's worth a try.

LAP decided to slap lots of leaseholder traders with a big back-rent demand last year. My understanding is that LAP told the leaseholders they wouldn't review their rents during the proposed redevelopment of the market. When that didn't happen, they decided to get it all back. Traders have been trying to negotiate with them, speak to lawyers etc, but it's all an uphill struggle. Then there are the service charge increases, and for Nour the closure of the carpark is a disaster (good riddance to Sally Prentice chucked out of the cabinet btw)

I don't think there is a new landlord, LAP are employing a management agent. Seems likely from what I've heard from traders that it's these people: http://www.inshopsretail.com

They're owned by Group Geraud who are a big French market-operator who I've heard good and bad about.

The traders are not optimistic that they'll be any better than LAP's direct management. But it could be a new start of some sort. If they at the very least get rid of the financial control staff who make the traders lives a misery and padlock them at the drop of a hat, and have some vague idea of how to run a market that'd be an improvement. I hope they completely overhaul the management of the place and the licenses and leases they're all on, set up decent communication with the traders, stop trying to divide and rule, start to be transparent about the service charges, and start to treat the traders with respect.

The big question is whether they're clever enough to come up with ways to keep LAP happy while making sure the market continues to serve people on low incomes and keep its character.

I don't get the whole back rent thing. How does that work? Is that normal in commercial contracts?

In your opinion, have the market traders been taking a unified approach as far as possible?

The big question is whether they're clever enough to come up with ways to keep LAP happy while making sure the market continues to serve people on low incomes and keep its character.
You say clever enough, but is that really in their interests at all? Surely they just want to keep LAP happy and LAP have always wanted higher margin tenants?

When/why was Sally kicked out of the cabinet? Her photo was still on the cabinet board in the Town Hall yesterday.

Sorry for all the ???s!

I don't get the whole back rent thing. How does that work? Is that normal in commercial contracts?
It seems landlords can hold rent reviews when they like. It's bad practice to hold back a load of reviews for 3 years, but they can do it. There's more to it than this, but I don't want to talk through in public.

You say clever enough, but is that really in their interests at all? Surely they just want to keep LAP happy and LAP have always wanted higher margin tenants?

Well it could be in their interest couldn't it? If they get high volume low cost independent businesses in, they'd meet the rent the same no? And if they got lots of bad PR if they pursued high margin tenants?

When/why was Sally kicked out of the cabinet? Her photo was still on the cabinet board in the Town Hall yesterday.

At a Labour group meeting a couple of weeks apparently. It was in the SLP.
I don't know precisely why - I just assume enough Labour councillors finally saw sense about her.

At a Labour group meeting a couple of weeks apparently. It was in the SLP.
I don't know precisely why - I just assume enough Labour councillors finally saw sense about her.

I know it's off-topic but excellent news about Sally Prentice; she was like some Nu Labour Zombie. I have never heard someone so at ease with meaningless management jargon.

Well it could be in their interest couldn't it? If they get high volume low cost independent businesses in, they'd meet the rent the same no? And if they got lots of bad PR if they pursued high margin tenants?

OK - high volume low cost retailers which can afford to pay the higher rents. I get you. Will many of the existing traders will be able to fit that bill?

Shaheen says he will stay if the rent can go back to the level it was at two months ago. I said I would start a campaign to get a rent reduction and that lots of people want to help. He has nothing to lose by irritating the landlord/agent, so he's up for all manner of tactics. But he doesn't have a spare minute in his life (7 days a week in the shop, plus night time trips to New Covent Garden) so it's up to us to make it all happen. By 'us' I mean urban, Friends of Brixton Market (I hope :)) and whoever else we can rope in. I don't speak for FBM and hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes.

The retrospective rent increase described in post #6 by fbm may have been illegal. Another tenant consulted a solicitor about it and was told he had a good chance of winning in court. But not enough tenants could be found to share the legal bill of £6,000 - £8,000, so the idea was dropped. (I'm not naming the tenant cos I don't have his permission and he may not want heat from the landlord who will read all this at some stage.)

I suspect we all feel that our objective should be not just to cut Nour's rent but to install some sort of framework to keep rents fair and affordable for all in the long term. We want to protect the social value of the market as a place where people on low incomes can buy the essentials. And we want to preserve its character. What does everyone think?

In terms of tactics, off the top of my head I'm thinking, in no particular order:

- a petition in Nour for customers and tenants to sign
- letter writing campaign to LAP, the new agent, the agent's owners, local MPs and councillors
- talk to the above solicitor and the tenant who consulted him
- Facebook group
- Twitter feed
- publish Nour's tenancy agreement and demands for rent increases online, with lawyers'/surveyors'/agents' written opinions of them. If the landlord has done something illegal perhaps this will shame him into undoing things without the cost and delay of legal action. But if the landlord wants to take it to court, publishing the docs would help raise money for a fighting fund. IANAL, but as this would be a civil case sub judice doesn't apply until a date for a hearing is set
- interview with South London Press followed (hopefully) by national press if the campaign gains momentum
E2A - make a documentary. (An amateur docu maker is interested.)

Fighting market forces by pressuring a landlord to cut his rent may sound quixotic, but it seems to me we do have some valid arguments:

1) one of the recent rent increases may have been illegal
2) it's not in the landlord's interests to drive out tenants who attract customers from all over south London
3) it's not in the interests of other Brixton businesses or the Council for the same reason
4) given that the market building is now preserved for the community by listed building status, the tenants should also be protected by means of a fair rent scheme. Otherwise the market will become a soulless monument full of high street chains or tourist tat and its social value to the community will be diminished. Maybe there's nothing in law to impose a fair rent scheme in this scenario, but there is a sort of precedent in planning law, whereby local authorities require a portion of a new housing development to be affordable.

So what does everyone think? And who wants to do what?

As a free starting point for getting legal advice I would thoroughly recommend this forum http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?8-Commercial-Property-Questions . Don't be put off by the name - it offers advice equally to both Tenants and Landlords and is pretty dismissive of sharp practice by either. It is not unlike U75 and other forums in that there is often quite a lot of banter in between the gems - less so in the commercial forum - but there are several topic experts who will point tenants or landlords in the right direction and give a little push.

Excellent ideas Nick. I'd also be interested in what influence the council / local councillors could have.

I'd be very happy to help. But perhaps the first step would be to speak to Friends of Brixton market and see what they think, given their knowledge and connections. I'll do this.

Anyone else up for helping?

Excellent ideas Nick. I'd also be interested in what influence the council / local councillors could have.

I'd be very happy to help. But perhaps the first step would be to speak to Friends of Brixton market and see what they think, given their knowledge and connections. I'll do this.

Anyone else up for helping?

Cool. I'll get a copy of Nour's tenancy agreement etc. and talk to the tenant who instructed a solicitor.

I'm probably not a great deal of use professionally, but I can write a good letter - so will be pleased to sign petitions/write to whoever etc...

If anyone wants to meet to talk tactics, put 10 am tomorrow at Rosie's in your diary. It's tbc, but I'm hoping that FBM will be there.

Hello,
I'm a journalist and will over the next weeks be working on newsdesks for several South London papers. I am very interested in writing an article on Brixton village and how it is so rapidly changing. Please keep me updated about your plans and thoughts on lindyinbrixton@gmail.com.....

Thanks!

I doubt that approach is going to succeed. If you want to be regarded as a legitimate press contact please supply your full name and a way we can verify that you are a journalist, e.g. links to bylined pieces and the phone number of these newsdesks.

Hello,
I'm a journalist and will over the next weeks be working on newsdesks for several South London papers. I am very interested in writing an article on Brixton village and how it is so rapidly changing. Please keep me updated about your plans and thoughts on lindyinbrixton@gmail.com.....

Thanks!
So you expect people here to just spoonfeed you stories, even though you haven't explained who you are or who you write for?

Isn't that what most journos do anyway? IME they're a bunch of lazy, no-good wankers who habitually make shit up even when it serves no purpose. Of course there are good ones, but the majority are morons.

Hey guys & gals!

This is Nour speaking (from Nour Cash & Carry) I'd just like to say thank you all so much for your support, it is much appreciated! Regarding the posts about our shop closing down I have good news - We aren't going anywhere, they can't get rid of us without a fight! Plus we could never let all our amazing customers & staff down. Anyway I just wanted to let you all know, so the panic is over :) thank you for being such lovely customers. We really couldn't do it without you. Hope to see you all soon :)

Nour x

Back
Top Bottom