Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Music vids with London as their backdrop

ska invita

back on the other side
Saw this vid for the first time the other day - amazed that it was set in London!

Inner City - Good Life

Is Detroit really that shit that a rainy day in london deserves this anthem?

(I was talking about this with a mate and we worked out that the reason it was probably shot in London is because it was a big hit here, and probably didnt do anything in the US charts, so they likely came to do a TOTP or something and quickly knocked it up just for us:) )

Anyhow - more London videos please! Plus locations is you know them.

I guess the Inner City one was StPauls + Chelsea Bridge? One of those nice bridges in Chelsea emabankment anyway...

Bob Marley is this love?

Shot in Brixton ( & at a kids party - theme wouldnt go down too well today - sad really )

EDIT: just watched it - I remember it having a lot more street shots in it than that

pretty much any madness video - so that would be too easy.

Two faintly unexpected ones -

- song is about Edinburgh, but the video is mainly west London / Westway

Ghost Town, Specials
- generally considered to be about Coventry, but various London locations - Rotherhithe Tunnel, one of the long roads that's all railway arch just south of Waterloo or London Bridge...

great calls - really enjoyed that marrillion trackl! i think that was some progrocking 5/4 time at the start for good measure.
ghost town might well be the greatest uk no.1 of all time i reckon - great video too
off to watch baggy trousers now...

Two classic Jungle Brothers videos here.

1. "I'll House You" - filmed in Gee Street EC1 which is just off Old Street
2. "Straight Out The Jungle" - filmed in Camley Street, Kings Cross and in unidentified Camden streets.

^^great one toblerone - hadnt seen those before - that camley street is that little nature reserve round the back there isnt it. I guess Gee St (records) really made it happen for the JBs

okay - how about this one. wheres this? i think the tower block is on Cheney Walk (on the north embankment) - then theres some shots from the other video in Kings X - i reckon the street shots are kings road chelsea
One Love

by the way, anyone know the name of that guy with the tash at 2.00 in??

someone was telling me something about the guy from saint ettiene being a real london-o-phile. i forget what he did now... some kind of london art project or other

the website you posted there kanda has got all the answers! internets too clever for its own good. im sure theres ones we know that they havent got though.

that street london thing was touching too

someone was telling me something about the guy from saint ettiene being a real london-o-phile. i forget what he did now... some kind of london art project or other
bob stanley
from wiki
While recording the album Finisterre in 2002, Stanley, Wiggs and frequent collaborator Paul Kelly made a film to accompany the record. The resulting film, also called Finisterre, was described in The Observer as a "cinematic hymn to London".[1] It premiered at the ICA in London and was screened around the world by one dot zero. In 2005 the band and Kelly were invited by the Barbican to create a film and music event, for which they made What Have You Done Today, Mervyn Day, a drama-documentary set in the Lower Lea Valley, the site for the 2012 Olympic Games. In 2007 their third London film, This Is Tomorrow, a history of the Southbank Centre, was premiered with a live performance, including a 60-piece orchestra at the Royal Festival Hall.

Stanley has curated several film seasons for the Barbican, including Gonna Make You A Star (a series of pop documentaries) and Britain Learns to Rock (early British Rock'n'Roll movies).

The jam's when you're young - bandstand section filmed in Queens Park, shopping centre bit done in Kilburn

The jam's absolute beginners - lots of running down empty streets in and around Hammersmith

dexys come on eileen - brook drive kennington

flowered up it's on - judging by the architecture i'm saying the little park on the regents park estate, camden

xtc towers of london - bits of everywhere really, although kings cross gasometer gets its third appearence on the thread.

Suprised this hasnt come up yet. Ian Brown - FEAR. Berwick Street/Soho/Chinatown area

[video=dailymotion;x15ald]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15ald_ian-brown-fear_music[/video]

okay - how about this one. wheres this? i think the tower block is on Cheney Walk (on the north embankment) - then theres some shots from the other video in Kings X - i reckon the street shots are kings road chelsea
One Love
Yes it is. And here's another one that was filmed down there - Terence Trent D"Arby, Sign Your Name. Admittedly not much of it, but that's the power station down at Chelsea Harbour in the background when he's on his bike.

Blur - For Tomorrow

good one (never heard that tune before_ - got trafalgar square, primrose hill, ladbroke grove, i even thought i saw one shot of pimlico (with 3 boys on it) , but i could be anywhere tbh.

Those shots in trafalgar square with the pigeons and the woman (0.36) i think refer to this photo - im guessing this photo is famous - ive just seen the cover of the book
51KKDPAVR4L._SS500_.jpg

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls

Is that Victoria station? I cant quite recognise it. I like the bit at the end when they drive past South Africa House and theres an apartheid demo outside it.

xtc towers of london has got kensington (so tick that one off) < great london tune that one (another id never heard of)

Suede - Saturday Night - it must be hard to get to film on the tube - highlights for me were seeing a payphone on the platform! Those bandit steal your money chocoalte machines were missing though... I guess the party shots were in a service tunnel

dexys come on eileen - brook drive kennington - our first south london one!

Back
Top Bottom