Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Museum of London Docklands at West India Quay

editor

hiraethified
This is a great museum to visit. It's free to get in and there's some interesting stuff in there. The Bridge exhibition that's on until Nov 2 is particularly good.

museum-of-london-docklands-01.jpg

museum-of-london-docklands-12.jpg

museum-of-london-docklands-34.jpg

museum-of-london-docklands-40.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/explori...useum-of-london-docklands-at-west-india-quay/

I'm puzzled- your images show displays going back several hundred years but London "Docklands" didn't exist before the 1970s and arguably only in an abstract sense until the formation of the LDDC in what, 1980?

Before that it was the Port of London but even that only goes back to the early 20th century.

I'm puzzled- your images show displays going back several hundred years but London "Docklands" didn't exist before the 1970s and arguably only in an abstract sense until the formation of the LDDC in what, 1980?

Before that it was the Port of London but even that only goes back to the early 20th century.
It's not the Museum of "London Docklands", it's the Museum of London: Docklands, i.e. a branch of the Museum of London. It has a lot of stuff about the various dock areas of London and more generally about the river going east - last time I was there (a while ago) was for a group of exhibitions including one fantastic set of photos of the Lea Valley.

It is pretty good, though you have to be able to take being in the Canary Wharf area, which gives me the Fear. Luckily it's not far from the DLR station.

The security guards get on my nerves, rarely do a get through their cordon sanitaire without being stopped :D and I think it should be against the law to mimic cop uniforms. The industrial heritage remnants as chick background sculpture also stings but that Triffid like sculpture seems curiously suited to that environment.

13573349554_73e39942cb_z.jpg

The security guards get on my nerves, rarely do a get through their cordon sanitaire without being stopped :D and I think it should be against the law to mimic cop uniforms. The industrial heritage remnants as chick background sculpture also stings but that Triffid like sculpture seems curiously suited to that environment.

13573349554_73e39942cb_z.jpg

God, I hate that tacky colourised effect. Sorry.

It's not the Museum of "London Docklands", it's the Museum of London: Docklands, i.e. a branch of the Museum of London. It has a lot of stuff about the various dock areas of London and more generally about the river going east - last time I was there (a while ago) was for a group of exhibitions including one fantastic set of photos of the Lea Valley.

It is pretty good, though you have to be able to take being in the Canary Wharf area, which gives me the Fear. Luckily it's not far from the DLR station.
Gives me the fear too. I turned down a very good job because I just couldn't imagine going there every day.

Though there is a bar in the waitrose, which is quite a nice addition to a food shop....

Brilliant place to spend few hours.Especially like the faint smell of piss in the mocked up old alleys.:D

Gives me the fear too. I turned down a very good job because I just couldn't imagine going there every day.

Though there is a bar in the waitrose, which is quite a nice addition to a food shop....
That would just mean I got drunk and ate food from Waitrose on the way home every day. I think I've said it before, but just walking around there makes me want to grab people by the shoulders and shout "but don't you realise this was all built by ALIENS?"

At least in other areas around there the transition is a bit more gradual, though it's still a bit jarring to turn a corner and suddenly there's a load of yachts.

About ten years ago when i was driving the cab, one of the restaurants along from the museum were giving free meal vouchers worth sixty quid when you visited the museum (a regular thing from ComCab).I managed to blag three,and after visiting the museum with my wife,the kids,my brother and his kids and his girlfriend and her kids we hit this restaurant knowing that for £180 we could all eat and drink like kings all day(we were all particularly skint at the time).After having starters,mains,a couple of bottles of wine,a few beers and loadsa fizzy stuff for the kids i had a quiet word with the waitress and asked her to give me a shout when the bill was reaching £150 so i called start to reign the gluttoney in a bit.About a minute later she came back and told me the bill was already at £228.There must have been a look of fucking terror on my face because all the while we sat there sorting out the difference to pay in cash,a doorman apeared from nowhere,come and asked us if there was going to be a problem paying and then stood at the door scowling at us knowing we were poor scum and had no bussiness eating in his fucking place.Canary Wharf seems to have more than its fair share of cunts.

There are many good exhibitions there, including the current Bridge one ( posted somewhere else ). After that we tried to get lunch in the adjoining Rum & Sugar. After 10 minutes of getting no service we walked out and went to The Ledger. I know it's Witherspoons, but great pub, good beer and something to eat. For what it's worth, I hate Docklands, it has no character or soul and just leaves me cold. Thank goodness I neither work or live there.

There are many good exhibitions there, including the current Bridge one ( posted somewhere else ). After that we tried to get lunch in the adjoining Rum & Sugar. After 10 minutes of getting no service we walked out and went to The Ledger. I know it's Witherspoons, but great pub, good beer and something to eat. For what it's worth, I hate Docklands, it has no character or soul and just leaves me cold. Thank goodness I neither work or live there.
Oh I agree, although it's interesting to photograph. It's like one big business mall, imported from Kansas or somewhere.

Iirc the M.O.L. at London Wall had a Sherlock Holmes exhibition starting roundabout now.Might go and have a look next weekend.

:) at MOL Docklands. I went on a short course that was partly based there a year or two back.

I think mum-tat would like it, but since the WW2 bit includes an air raid siren, it would not be a good idea (mum-tat was a small child during the war, and survived a couple of near misses, including hearing a V1's engine stop overhead, so is more than a little nervous about all such things)

Back
Top Bottom