Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Moving to Sheffield

Cid

Proper break this time
I am.

Looking forward to it, setting up a workshop among the cluster of artists on smithfield... I say setting up, more occupying space in mate's workshop and attempting to negotiate space for machinery. Taken a load of wood up already, got more stuff to bring up then moving permanently in early jan.

I will need to be reminded not to be horribly critical of other artists (except bloke I'm working with, who is good).

Bit cold at the moment, but am thinking of brewing beer also. Will report later.

Thought so, you were there for er... 'scuse somber note... when Sam was ushered up to the great choral happy hardcore party in the sky weren't you? That's my Sheffield connection btw, Sam and other London types in Shef.

I was, aye. If you're knocking about with Jones we are likely to cross paths at some point i imagine. See you then :)

I have actually been to Leeds btw, so your desperate attempts to raise the tone of the area by having me there will amount to nothing.

Moving up tomorrow, next week trying to find a new workshop.

Good luck cid, Sheffield's a great city to live in & the peaks on the doorstep :cool:

Leeds and Sheffield are like the grown up brothers of Yorkshire. (Hull is the Dad and York is the Mum)
Anyway - Leeds works for a bank and turns up for Sunday lunch in a flashy Beamer talking about ISAs and holidays abroad. Sheffield is doing a few shifts in a coffee shop, knocking out lino prints of brutalist architecture and trying to get a band together. When everybody has left, and while they're drying up the roasting pans, Mum and Dad discuss what went wrong with Leeds. And why he's such a cunt.

Been here a few months - the roads are terrible, highly congested, very hilly, locals are either very friendly or very grumpy, highly unmulticultural, quite inward looking, meadowhell, tiny city centre with little to do, highest levels of inequality I've seen in any city (areas are either extortionately affluent, or rife in poverty, little inbetween), and the 'greenest city' looks quite grim and industrial.

Handy for Manchester, then.

Been here a few months - the roads are terrible, highly congested, very hilly, locals are either very friendly or very grumpy, highly unmulticultural, quite inward looking, meadowhell, tiny city centre with little to do, highest levels of inequality I've seen in any city (areas are either extortionately affluent, or rife in poverty, little inbetween), and the 'greenest city' looks quite grim and industrial.

Handy for Manchester, then.

Where abouts do you live?

Well, hardly. I work in a public facing role in various parts of the city, and can count on 2 hands the number of times I've dealt with a non-white person. Quite sad really & I'm sure the stats will confirm too. I came up here from a highly thriving multicultural midlands city, so I know what diversity. If you disagree, then I guess you live in the student cosmopolitan south & haven't ventured out of that bubble (because that's what it is) much. I live at the other end of the city, and talk from experience having worked at every village/suburb/ward so far. Just head up to manc & you can see what thriving & diverse looks like on a typical day.

Well, hardly. I work in a public facing role in various parts of the city, and can count on 2 hands the number of times I've dealt with a non-white person. Quite sad really & I'm sure the stats will confirm too. I came up here from a highly thriving multicultural midlands city, so I know what diversity. If you disagree, then I guess you live in the student cosmopolitan south & haven't ventured out of that bubble (because that's what it is) much. I live at the other end of the city, and talk from experience having worked at every village/suburb/ward so far. Just head up to manc & you can see what thriving & diverse looks like on a typical day.
you couldn't be more wrong. really, completely and utterly, wrong. (the south is actually the least diverse part of the city, btw)

I'm wrong and you're right, right? That's your argument? I talk from experience. If you have a different view, then good. But I know others, including many of those locals & those that have studied and/or worked in the city, at least share several of my findings. You've picked up on one of my findings (which I'm sure if you check the stats, you'll find that it is one of the least ethnically diverse populations in the uk), but what about the others? Or are you fortunate enough to not use the terrible road networks or meet some of the gruff locals? Again check online about the levels of inequality. Go from low edges, parsons cross to ranmoor or dore, with little more than a handful inbetween.

Well I was born in Sheffield, most of my family are from various areas of the city, and have had mates from all over town and ime have to disagree, admittedly i don't have your statistics (where are they again and where are they from? link?) but thirty years here means nowt i guess ;)

Don't disagree on the shite roads front mind, but not a diverse city? Rubbish.

I'm wrong and you're right, right? That's your argument?
yup
I talk from experience. If you have a different view, then good. But I know others, including many of those locals & those that have studied and/or worked in the city, at least share several of my findings. You've picked up on one of my findings (which I'm sure if you check the stats, you'll find that it is one of the least ethnically diverse populations in the uk), but what about the others? Or are you fortunate enough to not use the terrible road networks or meet some of the gruff locals? Again check online about the levels of inequality. Go from low edges, parsons cross to ranmoor or dore, with little more than a handful inbetween.
In terms of diversity you are plain wrong, simple facts, which you'd know if you looked at the stats. And, as said, if you think the most diverse bit is in the south, you are astoundingly wrong! Quite how you've met so few non-white people, I dont know. But if you worked in my local housing office (for example) for a morning you'd see many more non-white people than you 'can count on 2 hands.'

It is very unequal - Cleggs constituency used to be the richest in the country, whereas the poor bits are very much in the poorest 5%. The proximity of the poor and rich areas to each other makes this even more noticeable. The roads are amongst the most pot-holed in the country too, tho not really more congested than elsewhere (sheffield always used to be notable for having far lower levels of car ownership than similar areas, due to the quality of the busses. That's not as true any more, tho it still has something of a knock on effect).

Locals arent particularly gruff, no more so than anywhere else I've been. And the fact that the city is hilly is one of its main features, its a good thing. And its a city with hundreds of years of history of industry, of course it looks industrial!

I might be wrong, but I 'm sure I've been told Manchester's got the highest levels of inequality in England - The city centre might be multicultural, but it's only really for visitors and students.

Anyway, I like Sheffield to the point of preferrring it to Manchester.

I've only been as a visitor but a friend moved up there a few years back and I really like it. It has a proper distinctive sense of itself while remaining very friendly to an outsider. The area my mate lives in is neither swanky, studenty nor desperately poor. I could definitely tell that the recession was affecting the place the last time I went but that's true of everywhere, and if you want to see some sickening inequality cheek by jowl you should try various areas of London before the Tories fix it by evicting the poors. Anyway my mate a proud Sussex man has given serious thought to remaining there long term, so it must be a seriously pleasant place to lure him so north.

Back
Top Bottom