Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Mass hysteria cases' in malaysian school leads to shut down.

treelover

A school in northern Malaysia has had to shut temporarily to handle what local media have called a case of "mass hysteria".

It started last week with several students and teachers of the school in the city of Kota Bharu claiming that they had seen spirits or had supernatural experiences.

School authorities shut the school and called in Islamic traditional experts, scholars and even witch doctors in prayer sessions and "exorcisms".

By Sunday, the school had reopened and school officials said things had gone back to normal - but questions remain and the case continues to generate intense interest in Malaysia.

What happened?
The school, SKM Pengkalan Chepa 2, is located in the highly traditional and religious state of Kelantan.

Last week, a small group of students began claiming they had seen a "black figure" lurking in the school. Soon, more students and even teachers claimed to have seen the same figure or experienced a supernatural presence.

One teacher told local news channel Astro Awani that she felt a "heavy" presence was hanging on to her, while another claimed that a "black figure" was attempting to enter her body.

A student meanwhile told newspaper Sinar Harian (in Malay) that he felt numbness in his hands while his mind "was all over the place".

About 100 people, mostly students, were affected, a senior school staff member confirmed to the BBC.

"Our students were possessed and disturbed [by these spirits]. We are not sure why it happened. We don't know what it is that affected us," she said.

"But the place is a bit old, and these children can be disobedient and sometimes throw their rubbish around the school grounds. Perhaps they hit some 'djinns' and offended the spirits," she added, using a local reference to ghosts.

Malaysia school shuts after 'mass hysteria' outbreak - BBC News

Very strange story, students at a school in the city of Kata Baru in the (very religious) state of Kelantan report very numerous accounts of seeing apparitions, spectral entities, experiencing 'supernatural events'

It has got so widespread that the School has been temporarily closed down and brought in "Islamic traditional experts, scholars and even witch doctors in prayer sessions and "exorcisms".

_89284591_831fb17c-7b1f-44aa-b86b-074922902738.jpg

In the Alor Star case, school officials brought in witch doctors to help. "The use of so many bomohs and native healers can be a double-edged sword, especially if they fail, because they legitimise the supernatural aspects of the outbreak. As a result, the outbreak is likely to be prolonged."

Quite.

Apparently, it is teachers as well, changes things a bit.
Adults, even educated ones can be just as prone to seeing what isn't there, or misinterpreting what is there.

An exorcism or other cleansing might not get rid of what wasn't there to start with, but it can stop people being so prone to see it.

Wasn't there a recent fainting episode in a UK school that was eventually put down to mass hysteria? Much to the parents anger iirc.

Not looked at the links, but I remember reading about cases of mass hysteria in France centuries ago (well I didn't read about them centuries ago obviously, but ykwim). Badly worded

Not looked at the links, but I remember reading about cases of mass hysteria in France <snip>
And then there was that "Toronto blessing" laughter epidemic, which began in evangelical churches in the 1990s and spread, leading some people to leave their own church for anywhere which had shown signs of it.

It did a lot of harm in drawing a certain type of churchgoer towards the next bright and shiny thing instead of towards the great big whatever/whoever.

Chartered psychologist Felix Economakis points to a study in which a mythical disease was created by psychologists, and before long people spoke of having symptoms. "Much as we like to think we are these sexy predators, we are basically herd animals," he says

Not heard of this, very wary of this profession, they once said Polio may be mass hysteria, more recently M.E.

Be wary of the differences between clinical psychologists, chartered psychologists and other titles or qualifications people may use, and what one person with that background might say as opposed to the general set of beliefs within the profession. Some titles are protected and you need to be a certain level of qualification, some are basically meaningless and anyone can call themselves it.

You can for example find medical doctors with all sorts of idiot ideas about illnesses.

And for some interesting delusional behaviour have a look at this Morgellons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Not looked at the links, but I remember reading about cases of mass hysteria in France centuries ago (well I didn't read about them centuries ago obviously, but ykwim). Badly worded

When experiencing one of your previous lives, presumably ;)

Sounds to me like these kids and their teachers have just been watching too many Japanese and other Asian horror films, where this sort of ghostly apperition business seems to be a common narrative device. Really don't think there's anything particularly relevant about the Malaysian aspect

There's quite a bit (well some, anyway) of anthropological work on spirit possession as an 'everyday form of resistance' by young female factory workers in SE Asia.

I've never understood how ghosts are supposed to be scary. All the stories I've heard have the damn things just wandering about creating apparitions and noises and other ultimately harmless acts. Even poltergeists are pretty lame.

Back
Top Bottom