Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Margate town photos

editor

hiraethified
Here's some more pics of Margate taken from our stroll around the town.

It was good to see the Old Town being regenerated but the place still feels very down at heel.

margate-kent-photos-05.jpg

margate-kent-photos-12.jpg

margate-kent-photos-36.jpg

margate-kent-photos-23.jpg

margate-kent-photos-32.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/photos/kent/margate-kent-photos.html

It's a shame the bigot didn't learn to spell or how to space their slogan ;)

I like 3 and 5. Is the funfair place still there??

great photos :) i always enjoy looking at your pics editor youve got a great 'eye' for it.

theyre all good, but i really dig the 2nd one. :cool:

Not totally offtopic - does anyone else remember a filmed BBC Children's drama, from late 70s/early 80s about a girl from Margate running away 'cos of family problems. Was quite gritty and Ken Loachy (from my 7-year old, Notherner's, memory...).

Was my first, and so far only, introduction to Margate, at any rate.

They're both pretty run down, but Margate seemed to be showing some signs of recovery and has some attractive architecture in its Old Town. I don't think I'd the look of Ramsgate on a Saturday night,

I was condemning of Ramsgate in a previous thread but I don't know Margate at all - it acually looks pretty interesting from Ed's excellent photos.

Margate and Ramsgate are OK for a day out, but living there must be tough. There aren't any decent coastal towns between Newcastle and Brighton.:(

There's been some local outrage about the new steps in the last picture. I rather liked them but then I don't remember what was there before.

There's been some local outrage about the new steps in the last picture. I rather liked them but then I don't remember what was there before.
I don't think there was anything there before, just a drop down to the beach/sea, depending on whether the tide's in or not.

Don't know if the London arty types will succeed in turning Margate into the next Whitstable, but you may have to try Dymchurch or Leysdown for that genuine Cockney seaside vibe.

Back
Top Bottom