Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lost pubs, cinemas, theatres and squats of Brixton

editor

hiraethified
After I was reminded of my abandoned project to snap closed pubs in Brixton, I'd be grateful if peeps could list any closed pubs in and around their Brixton 'hood (incl the full address) and I'll go around on my bike and snap them all for a "those we have loved and lost" ( © Donna) 'closed pub' section on the site.

These are the ones I've photographed so far:

Plough Stockwell (I know it's not quite Brixton, but it's close enough)
Hamilton Arms
King of Sardinia
That pub at the top of Acre Lane
The pub that is now a building society on Brixton Road opp the job centre
Green Man
Bradys
Junction
Mucky Duck Coldharbour La (has this opened?)

Your help please Brixton folks!

Lord Stanley, 31 Hinton Road (demolished???)
Russell Hotel, 116 Brixton Road
Warrior, 242 Coldharbour Lane
Duke of Cornwall, 89 Lyham Road (converted to flats)
Royal Oak, 2 Lyham Road (under threat of demolition?)
and I'm sure Lyham Road has lost at least one other one.

The Two Woodcocks did reopen after a prolonged close down in 2003, didn't it :confused:

lang rabbie said:
and I'm sure Lyham Road has lost at least one other one.

The Two Woodcocks did reopen after a prolonged close down in 2003, didn't it :confused:

were you thinking of the Waggon and Horses?

Other boozers have been closed and re-opened with a makeover so complete that they pretty much qualify as new "pubs" (I use the term 'pub' loosely) including The Queen, Ferndale Road; The Commercial in Herne Hill; the Brockwell Park Tavern (now 'Ganleys')...etc

Also, what was the name of the pub on Coldharbour Lane that is now 'Living' (sic)...I can't for the life of me remember it...it was only about 5 years ago it shut, no?

Minnie_the_Minx said:
were you thinking of the Waggon and Horses?

Has that gone too! :eek: I was thinking there was another building that had been converted years ago. I'm trying to remember the order of them down the hill. ls the Waggon & Horses on the Acre Lane side and the Red Lion on the Brixton Hill side.

About ten years ago, a group of us once managed to pub-crawl all the way down New Park Road and Lyham Road. I remember one place where the landlord was the spitting image of Al Murray, right down to his attitude to a female member of our party drinking pints!

lang rabbie said:
Lord Stanley, 31 Hinton Road (demolished???)

Yep and then there's the Harriers (?), also demolished a few years ago, left with a gigantic hole in the ground to this day.
The Wickwood tavern, Flaxman rd., 'luxury' flats,
The White Heart, Loughborough Rd, also now flats.

lang rabbie said:
Has that gone too! :eek: I was thinking there was another building that had been converted years ago. I'm trying to remember the order of them down the hill. ls the Waggon & Horses on the Acre Lane side and the Red Lion on the Brixton Hill side.

About ten years ago, a group of us once managed to pub-crawl all the way down New Park Road and Lyham Road. I remember one place where the landlord was the spitting image of Al Murray, right down to his attitude to a female member of our party drinking pints!

Red Lion (screws pub!) is Brixton Hill side. Waggon and Horses is further up on the other side. No, I don't think it is shut as I found a website that mentioned it, but it was shut for a long while. There was another one near it that might be shut but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called

Minnie_the_Minx on the wrong thread said:
It doesn't look like the Waggon and Horses IS closed. I know it was for absolutely ages but I've just found it here

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/info_pubbar_5600.html

I'm not sure how accurate that site is - a lot of stuff seems out of date, and as for this...
viewlondon venue information said:
Description: The Waggon & Horses is a lovely old pub in the heart of Streatham Hill.
I thought the estate agents described that bit of Lyham Road as Clapham Park:D

the springfield on solon road

and there was a pub on the road opposite, south of acre lane...been converted into flats, but it's obviously still a pub building.

There's a book somebody self-published many years ago in Oxford which listed every single pub he could trace that had ever existed in the city. Yes, seventeenth century taverns and all. That would be a model worth trying to emulate...

Donna Ferentes said:
There's a book somebody self-published many years ago in Oxford which listed every single pub he could trace that had ever existed in the city. Yes, seventeenth century taverns and all. That would be a model worth trying to emulate...

You could map them too, simular to this: http://www.yourhistoryhere.com/

ianw said:
the springfield on solon road

and there was a pub on the road opposite, south of acre lane...been converted into flats, but it's obviously still a pub building.
Duke of Wellington?

That is actually on Acre Lane so probably not what you meant.

IntoStella said:
Duke of Wellington?

That is actually on Acre Lane so probably not what you meant.

hang on, let me look at a map.

i think it was on the corner of branksome and hayter road. you'll know it when you see it, editor, as it's the building that looks like a converted pub.

the springy was on the corner of solon road and kepler road.

there's a couple on lyham road too. the one that's been converted into a restaurant with a white frontage. the other that's opposite crescent lane that's being turned into flats. there's also the pub towards the new park road end of lyham road around the corner from sonik's old flat that says it's opening with a gallery upstairs. hasn't been open for months to my knowledge.

no idea of the names of these, sorry.

sadly, you might be able to add the queen to your list quite soon.

editor said:
Hamilton Arms

I now live six thousand miles away from that boozer, and it still guts me that it's closed. Such a fucking shame. Have they thrown some shite flats up yet? And where do the regulars, like LKJ and that bloke who drank a vase of snakebite-and-black drink now?

Dubversion said:
is it doing that badly? :(

someone posted on here a while back that it might all be converted into flats. not entirely sure how true that is, but then let's face it the queen as we knew it is long gone anyway.

could the bagelodeon fit into this? on landor road, so clapham more than brixton, and wasn't so much an old boozer as a shop/cafe that did sneaky after hours drinkups. might be a nice touch.

Tricky Mickey said:
Have they thrown some shite flats up yet? And where do the regulars, like LKJ and that bloke who drank a vase of snakebite-and-black drink now?

Nah, it's another fucking mini-mart.. :(

Snakebite man drinks in the Hob..

Was there a pub on Mayall Road pre-1981? Maybe in the bit that's now Bob Marley Way?

Loughborough Hotel... :(
The Mucky Duck is still very much closed.. bricked up with it's NO WAR graffiti on the windows... never understood why that closed.. was it drugs related? :confused:
The Two Woodcocks is still very much up and running and doing quite nicely by the looks of it.
The Springfield is also all bricked up... :(

corporate whore said:
Nah, it's another fucking mini-mart.. :(

Snakebite man drinks in the Hob..

Was there a pub on Mayall Road pre-1981? Maybe in the bit that's now Bob Marley Way?

Yes. It got burnt down in the riots.

Was it The Windsor Castle?

Back
Top Bottom