Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London pirate radio - news and discussion

I used to DJ on Soundz Fm 94.3. Our rig was up a mobile phone tower in Swanley. Used to get calls in as far as Stevenage. Not bad for 200 watts of power!

Not done one of these for a while, so here's what I picked up in varying reception the last few days in Stratford mainly (and also a few hours near Waterloo).

88.0 Pulse 88 (r'n'b/hiphop)
88.4 Vision (house/garage)
89.8 Station FM (reggae)
90.0 Hot 90 (african)
90.2 Point Blank FM (house)
90.6 Cyndicut (d'n'b)
90.8 Lightning (reggae)
91.8 Live FM (house/garage)
92.2 Metrolove (reggae/r'n'b)
92.4 USD (house)
92.7 Natural Vibez (reggae)
93.0 Fresh Soundz (house)
93.8 Vibes FM (reggae)
94.0 Touch FM (house/garage)
94.2 True Flava's (d'n'b/garage)
94.6 Kool (d'n'b)
95.4 UK Roots (reggae/soul)
95.5 On Top (reggae/r'n'b/hiphop)
96.5 Dem Radyo (turkish)
97.7 SLR (reggae)
98.1 Mystic (reggae)
99.3 Select UK (house)
99.5 Venture FM (reggae)
99.7 Flex FM (house/garage/d'n'b/dubstep)
99.8 Supreme (reggae)
100.3 House FM (house)
101.3 Spice Radio (reggae)
101.5 Empire London (house)
101.8 Bizim (turkish)
102.0 Conscious (reggae)
102.5 Galaxy (reggae)
102.8 Radyo Umut (turkish)
103.8 Buzz FM (r'n'b)
104.0 Muzik Radio (reggae)
104.2 Playback FM (garage/house)
104.7 Pozitif (turkish)
105.2 Heart of Love Radio (r'n'b/reggae)
106.5 Project Radio (house)

Nice one. I wish I still had one of those big metal tuner decks with the giant knob in the middle.
Those were always best for browsing the pirates.

Edited post from a couple of years back, re mobile phone ad and what happened to said shop
killer kool fm tape here - love brockies selection at this time (93, with a few 92s in there too) - classic ad break - and then fabrok gets very ugly

Deep Inside The Oldskool: Brockie & Fabrok - Kool FM - 23rd April 1993

Adverts
(first ad for some ropey lee bridge mobile phone company - unfortunately not a happy ending to that one. )
-
Top Kool FM that, I always remember Skytone's ads on Kool! I presumed they were the ones that supplied Kool and Rush their legendary numbers and were always amazed that when other stations were regularly getting their phones/numbers cut-off, Kool and Rush kept their same numbers for many years :cool::D
ETA: link is dead - basically IIRc the phone shop guy got sent down for all kinds of dodgeyness

There was a cracking ad for 'Chicken in a box' Willesden area on a few of the ragga stations the other year. Wished I'd got a recording of that.

Sometimes the more low rent they are the better.

I like how for no reason at all, the lee bridge roundabout ask for nick one has the Helicopter Tune as it's soundtrack.

So what are people mostly listening to these days? I used to listen to Passion FM a lot but they seem to have disappeared.

I have Kool FM, Flex FM and Point Blank FM in rotation. Never really listened to Vibes until this morning but I liked it.

Have been tuning in to Galaxy a lot more recently...i'd describe it as an afrocentric station, lots of chat, but when they do play music its always interesting and not usual...some great jazz, reggae, african and soul...definitely worth a check in on the dial to see whats up.
Other than that its mainly between kool/vibes/house fm/and rinse depending on mood - though radiowise increasingly checking out Mi Soul (especially on a Sunday when the line up all day is a killer) and theres always great music on the 4hero created online station NUWAVERADIO - am yet to hear a dud set on that station

I haven't listened to Vibes for a while. The car is tuned to Rinse FM (Mrs R) when there's not a CD playing. My digital radio in the kitchen keeps getting switched between Radio 6 (Mrs R) and Capital FM (the littlun), but I sometimes spin the dial til I get to reggae and leave it on whatever comes up.

I don't mind Radio 6 now and then on a Sunday cooking the roast but I get very bored of all the Smiths/indie shite on it. Capital FM can do one.

I am definitely going to preset a few channels on there for ease of use. I have been saying that for 6 years.

Back
Top Bottom