Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leeds Underground Tramway

seeformiles

Lost in the wood
This may have been posted before but apparently Leeds nearly had its own "Tube" until postwar car use made the council abandon the plans. Got to the stage of artist's impression anyway. I wish they'd build it today!

leeds-tram-underground1.jpg

This may have been posted before but apparently Leeds nearly had its own "Tube" until postwar car use made the council abandon the plans. Got to the stage of artist's impression anyway. I wish they'd build it today!

leeds-tram-underground1.jpg
Nearly eh? Like the tram system we've been "nearly" getting for the last 20 odd years. :(
I'd settle for a few more rail stations with more services in Leeds, compared to other cities it's size there are very few local stations (I am lucky here in Bramley). Are they still building the extra station at Kirkstall Forge?

ooo.

i knew they had got as far as prototypes of the new generation of trams (one of the two is in captivity at the crich museum)

IMG_1729.JPG

but didn't realise that subways had been part of the plan, and that looks more like a full scale underground rail station...

i have been told that a change of political control on Leeds City Council in the mid 50s led to a decision being made to abandon trams (although I take this with a pinch of salt as the person telling me was very pro-tram and pro-tory) although the general lack of capital available in the 50s for all the large scale public infrastructure plans that existed may have played a significant part.

Not sure Id have fancied hagning around East End Park tube station late at night though.. !

Back
Top Bottom