Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just when I thought the Olympics couldn't depress me further....

Oh FFS :facepalm: Who's going to attack us from the air, then? The Belgians? "Anarchists"? Anjem Choudray's private military air fleet? The late ernestolynch?

Ground to air missiles over a city the size of London? something tells me that they have not thought this one through.

This says far more idiotic things about Hammond than about the Olympics per se, no?

Personally I'd replace the word 'Olympics' in Mrs Magpies thread title with 'Tories' ....

I laughed when I saw this headline. Especially as an earlier headline said that the US were not happy about the level of security that the UK intended to provide. So I rather took the missile-waving as a pathetic attempt to look tough in the face of these criticisms.

Its just for show/deterrant, they aren't seriously contemplating firing any missiles over London.

What irritates me most about it, is the turmoil they are going to create in the rental property market.
Whilst there will be people looking to make money out of a three week period, I would guess most landlords would prefer to retain stable, rent-paying tenants for the long-term rather than turf them out for short-term gain.

Whilst there will be people looking to make money out of a three week period, I would guess most landlords would prefer to retain stable, rent-paying tenants for the long-term rather than turf them out for short-term gain.

You would hope... a year ago when we rented this place (which we are really happy in) the landlord muttered something about it. I just fucking hate looking for a place to live in London, its the most stressful thing,

What irritates me most about it, is the turmoil they are going to create in the rental property market.

It's illegal in most london boroughs to rent your property out as a hotel so I dont think that'll be an issue..

I'm lookin forward to the olympics. Dont have a particular interest in any of the sports but it'll be a good party

According to the BBC news or someone on it, Olympic venues have had ground to air missiles ready to deploy before. I can't see that shooting down an aircraft over the Olympic Stadium or even the surroundings is going to save lives. Don' t forget that the SAS will be hiding in a hidden bunker having been directed there by the road signs we saw in a picture other day. I intend to be nowhere near London while the games are on. I will watch some of it on television and will have some DVDs to hand for when it gets all too much.

Defence Secretary Philip Hammond has told MPs that ground-to-air missiles will be deployed to protect the 2012 Olympic Games in London if deemed operationally necessary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15724639

Because it makes such good sense to shoot down an airborne invader over a city and have wreckage strewn across miles of property, killing rich and poor alike.
Phil's priorities are showing. :)

I laughed when I saw this headline. Especially as an earlier headline said that the US were not happy about the level of security that the UK intended to provide. So I rather took the missile-waving as a pathetic attempt to look tough in the face of these criticisms.

Likely Hammond is impotent, and this pronouncement was intended to stir some fire in his loins.

If one of the sporting events is interrupted by the wreckage of an aircraft that has been brought down by a ground to air missile, what are the rules about scoring points for medals in that event?

I just realised that "in that event" has two meanings in that context. ;)

Paving the way for some fancy shade of red terrorist threat levels which will require extra emergency powers for the police to be able to deal with ticketless protesters imo.

Because it makes such good sense to shoot down an airborne invader over a city and have wreckage strewn across miles of property, killing rich and poor alike.
Phil's priorities are showing. :)

And it's not like the sky over London is full of planes and there would be any chance of accidentally shooting down one or more unintended 'targets'...

Security theatretastic.

Back
Top Bottom