Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Israel, Palestine and the International Criminal Court

Bernie Gunther

Fundamentalist Druid
Seems like this deserves its own separate topic, so I'm moving this post from the Gaza thread.
Palestinian president signs up to join international criminal court.

Move will anger Israel and US and paves way for court to take jurisdiction over crimes committed in Palestinian territories
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/31/palestinian-president-international-criminal-court

Interesting analysis (a few months old) here from Electronic Intifada.
Given that the ICC will need to investigate not just the crimes of individuals responsible for firing at civilians in hospitals, the demolition of homes, or the shooting of demonstrators, but also the long-term structural basis of the occupation as manifested in the settlement and apartheid projects, Palestine will represent an unprecedented challenge for the court.

The political pressure against the Office of the Prosecutor is likely to be immense and the task of asserting and retaining prosecutorial independence is something to be monitored very closely.

Unlike other situations where the prosecutor has investigated, Israel has in effect a public policy of occupation openly built upon the perpetration of repeated war crimes around settlements and around apartheid. Evidence of criminality, from the public statements and practices of individual Israeli military and political leaders, as well as the multitude of UN, state, nongovernmental, solidarity and other organizations which have monitored and reported on individual war crimes such as torture, deportation, murder, unlawful detention, incitement and so on will provide a further mass of evidence.

<snip>

http://electronicintifada.net/conte...ine-joined-international-criminal-court/13783

I'm not an expert on international law, but can the US just wield their Security Council veto, as they do with anything else vaguely pro-Palestinian?

Yeah they can veto at some stage in the proceedings, but as far as I can tell it's not necessarily going to stop an intensely mediapathic series of hearings where the huge amount of evidence of Israeli war crimes, apartheid, ethnic cleansing etc gets dragged up and scrutinised at length.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom