Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Murder and rape on Moorlands Estate/ Somerleyton Road, Brixton

editor

hiraethified
There was a load of police and an ambulance in attendance by Brixton Village this afternoon, and I heard that a particularly unpleasant incident had happened.

I'm not going to post up the details until it gets confirmed, so does anyone have any idea of what actually happened?

Sadly, it turned out that a young girl was raped in the stairwell of Southwyck House (Moorlands Road end).

:eek::(

Hope it wasn't one of those gang related ones, whereby young female gang members come up with nasty shit

That's by the by, not nice thing to have happened at all

:( :(

I saw the ambulance and wandered what had happened. I remember back in the late 1980s two girls getting raped in Stockwell Park Estate - would be interesting to know whether this crime has decreased or increased in the area over the last 30 years (though it is never possible to know how much stuff goes unreported.)

:( :(

I saw the ambulance and wandered what had happened. I remember back in the late 1980s two girls getting raped in Stockwell Park Estate - would be interesting to know whether this crime has decreased or increased in the area over the last 30 years (though it is never possible to know how much stuff goes unreported.)

Same happened with two girls in another estate up Brixton Hill. I actually met a girl who said "the girls deserved it" :(

Poor girl, what a terrible thing to go through. In this case, we don't yet know who the perpetrator(s) is/are, but gang related rape/sexual exploitation is very wide spread. Many girls don't identify what happens to them as rape, therefore don't report it. The Haven, which supports victims of rape, says it has seen a huge increase in girls and young women coming through its doors. And Minnie is right in saying that some girls have no sympathy for others who they feel are 'asking for it'. But that's because they, too, have been hardened by the need to keep themselves safe in gang affected areas where young men often behave in a predatory and aggressive way towards girls. And because that is what is reflected in society at large, in the judiciary, the media, etc. There's been an significant increase in services for girls and young women who are at risk of/have experienced rape and/or sexual exploitation, but we still need lots more. Healthy relationships work is being carried out in secondary and primary schools, to help kids understand and identify abusive behaviour and sexual bullying. A lot ofyoung people seem to believe that if a girl is 'putting herself out there' and consenting, then whatever happens is her fault. In spite of seeming to understand the factors that lead to this level of vulnerability and risky behaviour. I've done quite a bit of work with young men on attitudes to girls/women and sex, it can make for scary stuff, but I have also been really uplifted by some really sound views put forward by individual young men on the right of girls and women not to be to be abused by others.

Healthy relationships work is being carried out in secondary and primary schools, to help kids understand and identify abusive behaviour and sexual bullying.

I'm very glad to hear it - without wanting to be alarmist, the latter years of Primary School (or even earlier in an age-appropriate way) are certainly not too soon to learn how to deal with sexually charged bullying.

And hopefully may lead to this:
but I have also been really uplifted by some really sound views put forward by individual young men on the right of girls and women not to be to be abused by others.

Thoughts with this poor girl :(.

17 year old boy stabbed, dead,* very close by to this incident today :( I've been away and am feeling sick to my stomach coming back to such brutality on my estate.

eta

*according to someone in the estate shop who saw the aftermath.

Still taped off now. It could just be me, but the vibe on the streets feels as dark and as oppressive as this horrible fog that's descended over Brixton.

I heard that a young kid got stabbed in the heart, but didn't hear if it was fatal or not. Either way, it's clearly being treated as a serious incident.

:(

The police are telling people who are going through the cordon to reach their homes that once they're home to stay home, and taking names and addresses of everyone who is going in or out of the estate.

It's been confirmed that a 17 year old boy died after being stabbed in Adelaide Close, Brixton, yesterday around 5.50pm.

Two serious incidents in 24 hours is deeply sad news and really worrying for residents.

There was something definitely dark in the air yesterday. My 14 year old son and his mate got attacked by a mob of up to 15 youths yesterday at about 3.45pm on Streatham High Rd. I'm still in shock, if it wasn't for the intervention of a guy and his son who stepped in pulled the youths off. Then rang me and took my son and his friend to the Police Station it would have been a lot worse. My son never really goes out anymore, I fear for this generation of kids. We have to do something, it can't go on...:(

:/
I saw ambulances rushing into moorlands as I was going to work and sommerleyton road was all cordonned off when I walked back.

It doesn't make things any better but about 10-12 years ago there was a period when walking in the area between Brixton and Loughborough junction you pretty much constantly had a yellow police incident sign in your sign at all times, I remember an awful lot of them were for sexual aggressions.

It doesn't make things any better but about 10-12 years ago there was a period when walking in the area between Brixton and Loughborough junction you pretty much constantly had a yellow police incident sign in your sign at all times, I remember an awful lot of them were for sexual aggressions.
That stretch of Coldharbour Lane used to be really notorious. There were reports of women being dragged into the front gardens and being raped and I remember seeing no shortage of yellow police signs about.

There was another 17-year-old lad stabbed in West Norwood last night as well

eta: Just noticed, boohoo's already mentioned it

Update here:
Officers were called at 5.50pm on Friday to reports of a youth found with stab wounds in Adelaide Close on the Moorlands Estate.

He was en route to hospital when he died in the ambulance 50 minutes later.
While police have not named the victim he has been identified locally as Kwame Asare.

A post-mortem examination will take place on Sunday.

Police believe the victim was with a friend when they were chased by two young men and assaulted.

The victim’s friend was not injured.

The suspects were described as two young black men.

Detective Chief Inspector John McFarlane, leading the investigation, said: “We appeal for anyone with information about this murder to come forward as soon as possible.

“Were you in or around the Moorlands Estate, Brixton on Friday afternoon or evening? Did you see or hear anything suspicious? Do you know who may have been involved?

“We are working closely with our borough colleagues to investigate the death by speaking to witnesses, examining CCTV cameras and conducting forensic examinations of the scene. Our enquiries continue.”

Police are also investigating another incident earlier on Friday in nearby West Norwood where a 17-year-old boy was stabbed.

Officers were called around 1.15pm to reports of a stabbing outside West Norwood bus garage in Ernest Avenue.
The victim was taken to a south London hospital, where he is in a stable condition with serious injuries.

A youth in his late teens has been arrested and remains in custody.

Officers are working to see whether or not the two incidents are linked.
Commander David Zinzan, in overall charge of policing in south-east London, said: “Following the fatal stabbing of a 17-year-old boy in Brixton and the wounding of another 17-year-old boy in West Norwood on Friday, and other serious stabbings in Lambeth borough in the last few days, police have increased patrols in and around the borough.

“Extra officers have been drafted in to reassure and protect the public, and to act as a strong deterrent to anyone thinking of committing further violence in the aftermath of these incidents.”

He added: “Officers are investigating these two cases and are keeping an open mind over whether they are linked at this stage.

“We know the community support us in our efforts to solve crimes of this nature for the sake of victims, their friends and families, and for the community as a whole.

“Plans are in place across south London to prevent and deter further violence and other crime.”

Anyone with information about the murder should call the incident room on 020 8721 4205 or to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

No arrests have been made in connection with the murder at this stage.

Extra officers are working in and around Lambeth and a Section 60 stop and search power is in place across the borough for at least 24 hours.

http://www.london24.com/news/crime/...d_to_death_in_second_lambeth_attack_1_1227006

Possibly linked to stabbings a week earlier:

• At 02:50 GMT on 25 February in St Saviour's Road, SW2, a man received multiple stab wounds.
  • At 16:30 GMT on 25 February in Tierney Road, SW2, a man was stabbed.
  • At 16:30 GMT on 25 February in Streatham Hill, SW2, a man was hit and stabbed.
  • At 16:35 GMT on 25 February in Streatham Place, SW2 a man was stabbed.
  • At 19:45 GMT on 25 February in Coldharbour Lane, SW9, a man was stabbed.
  • At 13:15 GMT on 2 March in Ernest Avenue, SE27, a teenager was stabbed and left critically ill.
  • At 17:50 GMT on 2 March on the Moorlands Estate, SW3, a teenager was stabbed and killed.

Possibly linked to stabbings a week earlier:

I wonder if Nos. 2, 3 and 4 are all the same incident? :hmm:

All in the same area

hm, says five separate incidents, but all around the same time, but then the last one (Moorlands) says it's SW3, so not sure how correct all this info is.

Nasty stuff anyway

Back
Top Bottom