Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

how manys acts and statutes are there active altogether?

bopalot

ive heard there something stupid like 8 million acts of parliament. anyone got a more definite number for me? with a source to refer to preferably.

Have you tried the Parliament website, as that might have some info on there? That would be the logical place to start as if they don't know, it's unlikely anyone else does either. :)

I asked a freeman-on-the-land and he says that there are nine laws, all drafted eight hundred years ago. The first law says that all the other laws that have been made since then don't count, despite every appearance to the contrary. The second law states that you don't have to take responsibility for anything if you don't want to, and the rest of them are basically just a set of guidelines for how to act like a tedious bellend in a magistrate's court.

Talking of "active" statutes kind of misses the point of statutory law, which can lay dormant on the books for decades or centuries until it is used, reviewed and possibly revised.

Indeed. There have been numerous cases where very old laws have been used for the first time in god knows how long. It works both ways too where there are loopholes in the law. The one I remember was the strange bloke who cremated his wife around the end of the Victorian era. There was uproar and calls for him to be prosecuted. Apparently it was discovered that it wasn't actually illegal to burn a corpse, and this led to legislation to govern cremation. :)

Talking of "active" statutes kind of misses the point of statutory law, which can lay dormant on the books for decades or centuries until it is used, reviewed and possibly revised.

i think active in this sense would mean that they hadn't been specifically repealed rather than that they hadn't been used in 350 years.

I asked a freeman-on-the-land and he says that there are nine laws, all drafted eight hundred years ago. The first law says that all the other laws that have been made since then don't count, despite every appearance to the contrary. The second law states that you don't have to take responsibility for anything if you don't want to, and the rest of them are basically just a set of guidelines for how to act like a tedious bellend in a magistrate's court.

oh right. so do u know or are u just being a complete bellend. do u think its not common law land?

Yes - in the late eighties an obscure law, from god knows when, about lewd dancing was used to prosecute customers in gay clubs, dormant maybe - until some cop casts about for something to charge you with.

ive heard there something stupid like 8 million acts of parliament. anyone got a more definite number for me? with a source to refer to preferably.
8 million? I take it that figure was plucked from someone's arse?

Looking at this page, the number of acts passed per year between 1800 and 2014 varies from 0 to 69, and seems to average around 30 a year in the last century or so, more like 10 a year the century before, and something like 3 per year before that.

so I'd estimate it would be somewhere in the region of 4000-6000 acts in total.

8 million? I take it that figure was plucked from someone's arse?

Looking at this page, the number of acts passed per year between 1800 and 2014 varies from 0 to 69, and seems to average around 30 a year in the last century or so, more like 10 a year the century before, and something like 3 per year before that.

so I'd estimate it would be somewhere in the region of 4000-6000 acts in total.
Pretty spot on guess, by the way - 5662.

If you're talking about all legislation including statutory instruments then the figure would be a hell of a lot higher, with all legislation inlcuding SIs averaging around 3000 a year over the last decade, or maybe 2000 a year over the last 50 years, but then drops right off to maybe 50 a year for the 50 years before that, and maybe 10-15 a year back to 1800, and 1-5 a year before then.

So something in the region of 100,000 pieces of all types of legislation ever passed, with around 95% of that passed in the last 50 years.

bottom left of this page figures in brackets are totals per year, and you can scroll back to 1267.

wowzers thanks peeps. that nails it. lol. this is me. plz watch all vids before you all start commenting. im not a freeman on the land nut. i know its common law land. the moj have told me personally. watch all my vids and comment back. im just gonna ignore any negative posts coz im here for constructive criticism only.

and support. ive only been studying law for almost yr now. that right studying! not trained. im studying the law of the land for myself. if the uk is a free country, then is the ultimate test. enjoy ;)

Back
Top Bottom