Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How is Anarchism portrayed in Literature?

' The country has desecended into ANarchy' we here that on the news a lot, used to indicate lawlessness as in such places like Somalia where warlords rule.

The other view of Anarchy is usually prtrayed as an unobtainable dream of a utopian state..a Shang gri la of societys.

Are there any books that give a balance view, not political polemics but novels and essays that hold a general view that could be construed as anarchist?

For an everchanging political viewpoint, not pulled down by dogma and subject to your own experiences and life values, there must be a lot of books you can take pieces of and use for your own personally constructed ideology.

I'd say that Crowley had elements of anarchism to him, may be hard to swallow for atheists as he did magic, but his basic ideas of free will on your own personal wish but with the responsibilty that goes with it has got ot be close to some if not all people vision of anarchism.

So any books worth reading ? ( novels for me

Someone should do a thesis on this.

Er Ursula La Guin is always mentioned - my ex rated her:) - the name sounds like a bear so it put me off...

A lot of science fiction plays around with it. Micheal Moorcock is a big fat hippy berk who lives in Ladbroke Grove and calls himself an "anarchist" - if you're 15 I highly recommend him.

Conrad has an anarcho plotter in The Secret Agent...

William Morris gets moody in News From Nowhere.

Try China Mieville, Iain M Banks Culture novels and Adam Roberts' novels Salt, Snow, Stone and Polystom...

Back
Top Bottom