Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How do you make your carbonara?

Cheesypoof

Fuck off Noddy
Banned
There are obviously lots of variations, and having tried and tested so many over the years, with pancetta, cream and so on. I conclude that my best carbonara is done with good bacon, one clove of garlic (cant help it), mushrooms in butter and olive oil. Then I cook the tagliatelle and add two whipped egg yolks into the pasta at the end. I toss the pasta into the pan with the bacon and mushrooms for a minute and serve with shavings of strong cheddar or parmesan.

yourselves?

There are obviously lots of variations, and having tried and tested so many over the years, with pancetta, cream and so on. I conclude that my best carbonara is done with good bacon, one clove of garlic (cant help it), mushrooms in butter and olive oil. Then I cook the tagliatelle and add two whipped egg yolks into the pasta at the end. I toss the pasta into the pan with the bacon and mushrooms for a minute and serve with shavings of strong cheddar or parmesan.

yourselves?

More or less agree. The texture should come from lightly scrambled eggs and melted cheese. Anyone who adds cream, and I'm looking at you, caffs and chain joints, has got it horribly wrong.

Put Pasta on to boil.
Fry diced streaky bacon / pancetta cubes in their own fat, with 1/2 tsp chilli powder 'til just before crispy
mix 3 eggs with 50-70g finely grated fresh Parmesan
Boil pasta to just before al dente, drain.
Pasta back to to low heat, add bacon & mix in egg/ parmesan mix.
stir gently until egg coagulates

Eat :)

cream ffs :rolleyes:

I sometimes do a version of carbonara with chunks of smoked salmon, dill and fontina cheese.

If it's a hanging crime to add sour cream to that, get that rope ready. :)

I sometimes do a version of carbonara with chunks of smoked salmon, dill and fontina cheese.

If it's a hanging crime to add sour cream to that, get that rope ready. :)

as Urbans resident superior chef, i totally forgive you Y_I_Otter. All your dishes sound fabulous with skill, panache and craftsmanship :cool:

as Urbans resident superior chef, i totally forgive you Y_I_Otter. All your dishes sound fabulous with skill, panache and craftsmanship :cool:

I think there are a few people on here who'll fight you for that position, Cheesy. :D

Definitely no cream in carbonara.

I cook my bacon,mushies,garlic and (sometimes) shallots in balsamic vinegar before mixing it all in :)

Fry dry cured smoked bacon bits with garlic

Crack and egg into a bowl with cream and tons of black pepper, add grated cheese and mix it all up.

Take bacon off heat, chuck spaghetti into pan with cooked bacon and garlic, stir, add cream/egg mixture, toss.

Eat.

Put Pasta on to boil.
Fry diced streaky bacon / pancetta cubes in their own fat, with 1/2 tsp chilli powder 'til just before crispy
mix 3 eggs with 50-70g finely grated fresh Parmesan
Boil pasta to just before al dente, drain.
Pasta back to to low heat, add bacon & mix in egg/ parmesan mix.
stir gently until egg coagulates

Eat :)

cream ffs :rolleyes:

if your egg coagulates you're doing it wrong. You can use a bit of milk +olive oil if you've not got cream

yourselves?

Now that is what I am talking about, a nice Rioja or a valipocella followed by a nice spliff and I am all yours ;)

lots of these recipes are missing out the ground pepper at the end, that's the "carbonara" bit, mind you i use cream so i can't talk.

Authentic carbonara (from the Acadameia Italiana della Cucina):

600 grams spaghetti or bucatini
120 grams guanciale or pancetta — diced or cut into strips
1 clove garlic
2 medium eggs (very fresh)
100 grams mixed Parmesan and pecorino Romano (or all pecorino) – grated
olive oil
salt and pepper

* Cook the guanciale in a pan along with the whole peeled garlic clove and a little oil, until the guanciale is well coloured. Discard the garlic.
* Beat the eggs in a bowl with a little of the cheese and a pinch of salt.
* Cook the pasta until al dente, drain and add to the pan with the guanciale.
* Lower the heat to a minimum and add the egg mixture. Mix well. Be careful not to let the eggs set.
* Remove from the heat and add the rest of the cheese. Mix again and serve immediately.

yourselves?

almost exactly the same as you, but I don't generally put mushrooms in.

Back
Top Bottom