Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Highwaymen in Peckham

RubyToogood

RubyTwobikes
An elderly cousin has lent me a volume of memoirs of one Mary Woolley of Peckham Rye, born in 1822. It's been typed up by some unknown person from the original manuscript and bound. My cousin didn't know what connection the writer had to our family or why we have these memoirs. A lot of it is dull genealogical stuff but here are some interesting extracts.

A fire
When my mother was about 7 it was advised she should go to school and the children were all at Ewell previously. A fire broke out in the house at night, and the weather was so severe, all water was frozen. With difficulty, all in the house were got out, but the house and contents were burnt. The only thing saved was a bedstead with two great dolls, belonging to my mother and Aunt, which an Irishman seized up and carried out saying, "but the cruel craytures have left their dear children to burn". The Laundry was at the top of the house, and the mangle crashed down to the basement. All the plate too was melted into a mass, in the plate chests. No lives were lost, my mother rejoiced in an entirely new outfit for school.

Highwaymen and commuters
On my Uncle's marriage in 1813 his father and mother left London for a very pretty property they had taken at Peckham Rye, Surrey. It was about five miles from London Stone - perfectly in the country... Our Stage Coach travelled up from Peckham Rye and the Mansion House every morning - returning in the evening. It went by the Old Kent Road to the City, and the guard always carried pistols as there was still a fear of highwaymen attacking them in this very lonely road. Now I imagine, there is not one yard of space uncovered by bricks and mortar.

Another fire
During the time they [her parents] were engaged, happened the great Fire at the Custom House, which was burnt to the ground - caused by the carelessness of the governess with a candle at night, when not sober. From my grandfather's house in Tower Street, all was visible, and the whole family were on the flat roof, watching the awful scene. Two servants were burnt, their shrieks for help at the windows being awful. My father had a chair on the edge of the roof in Tower Street, suddenly someone dragged him forward, and the chair fell down, the lead gutters having melted from the intense heat.

Child abuse:
About the year 1825 when my brother John was a year old, my health failed suddenly, and no cause was found for it. Being the only girl in the family I was much regarded, and great anxiety was felt. After a while, medicine being of no use, and I was daily pining away, our old servant Betsy Bower, told my mother one day, that if she would go quietly into one of the little closet rooms, "When," she said, "Nurse had put Miss Mary to bed, you will find out why she is ill." My mother took the advice, and heard this wicked Nurse threatening me with the most awful visitations from black men with coffins, and other such horrors, if I moved or cried, until she came back. It was her habit to do this each night, and then steal out, leaving me paralysed with terror. Of course Betsy was with my mother, and then to the great discomfort of the Nurse, they appeared on the scene, all was changed. My father instantly sent the woman away, and Betsy took charge of me - but great mischief had been done - nothing could dispel my agonised fears as the night came on, and I thought of the trees outside my nursery, in which these horrors were concealed. Eventually as I became worse, it was advised to send me away from home, and for some time, old Mrs Pearce took me away to Ramsgate, far from trees, and in a perfectly new surrounding, when by degrees the past faded.

I think I'm going to have to type all this up and put it on a blog or something, it's class, but anyway, pressing on:
Staying in Dover - beetles, slaves and smugglers:
I remember one night being woken by a scream, and saw my Aunt John Pearce, and Mary Woolley, a friend from Peckham standing on chairs. At the door my parents and George Pearce all gathered to learn the cause of the uproar, which proved to be caused by the advent of a mouse or a black beetle - I forget which.

In the adjoining house, our balconies meeting, was a family named Henry. The father had been a man of high position in the West Indies, but had lost much. They described the condition of the Negroes on their plantations as being quite happy, and Mrs Henry said, she used to lend the women her own jewellery and dresses to wear at their own grand parties - they all looked upon Mr Henry as their father and best friend - of course all depended upon the disposition of the master and owner.

Another of my memories is of the smuggling then carried out immensely on all our coasts, but especially there, as French goods were so heavily taxed. People of every grade were connected with it, those who were in authority to check it were equally involved. Dover was intersected by very narrow alleys through which it was dangerous to pursue the smugglers with their goods. Trap doors were constant down which the heavily laden smuggler suddenly dropped out of sight, to escape through houses far away, or the pursuers fell into these places, suddenly opened under their feet. Dover was honey-combed with passages above and under ground, and troops of pack horses stood ready saddled outside the town whenever a good cargo was run. Often was heard the shouts of the parties of Preventive Men and smugglers. One night I remember being woke and running into the nursery, roused by pistol and firing. My nurse and the other servants were at the windows, and I saw a dark mass on the parade in front. It was a stretcher, with a wounded man, and he groaned dreadfully, then died. I was hurried off to bed, when discovered, but the recollection of this struggle was never forgotten. Afterwards I learnt that Lieut. Pecke, who commanded the Preventive Men was wounded, and fell on the beach - his white trousers formed a mark in the dim light for the smugglers, who, as they left in their boat fired repeatedly at the prostrate man. Upwards of twenty bullets were in his body and limbs, but not one fatal.

"Did you pack your bags yourself?"
Mary's parents return via sailing ship from a business trip to France - the weather is bad, mother suffers from sea sickness and is cared for by two French women with ulterior motives.

... the poor passenger could not be soothed, the roar of the sea, the straining of the ship, the creaking of cordage, the stamping of Sailors over head on the deck, shouting and vociferating as the ship pitched forward in the waves, so absolutely distracted her, she could but call for her husband and entreat the French woman to go and fetch him, very soon, however, a change came, the horror of the surroundings was merged into another form of agony, the sea claimed its victim, and all minor ills were obliterated in the utter abandonment of Mal de Mer.

From the slight information my mother could give of those hours of suffering the French woman continued her kindly ministrations, doing all that was possible for the sufferer... After a while she was roused by hearing much chattering between her fellow voyagers, but she was too utterly exhausted to pay much attention, when she was startled by finding one of them close to her berth, and saw her companion fastening the door of the Cabin. Another then seized her, and she tried to move, but a heavy hand restrained her, and she found her voice had failed. The French woman who had treated her so kindly, held her fast, and at once told her, she had need of her services, and must submit to what had to be done; that no harm would come to her, if only she acted according to their will. Too alarmed and feeble to speak my mother had no choice save to submit.

The berth coverings were removed, from parcels which these women had carried in pockets under their thick woollen skirts, was produced an immense quantity of exquisite French lace, from Valenciennes, Mechlin and other places, which was to be safely conveyed to London without aid of the Customs. With the utmost deftness of hand, the women unfolded their packets of lace, and proceeded to wind them smoothly round my poor mother's body, arms and legs, who was utterly helpless from alarm and exhaustion, yards upon yards of lace were thus packed out of sight, round and round her legs was more of this delicate and costly fabric placed, and a great pair of stockings were drawn over her feet and legs so as to entirely conceal all. Then they lifted their unwilling accomplice on to a seat, and proceeded to wrap her up in her own garments, over which they fastened a great heavy shawl, so that she was reduced to the condition of a large bundle.

[On arrival they got her on shore and got rid of the husband by offering to take her to the hotel while he got the luggage through customs]... With difficulty my mother's helpless figure was hauled on to the wharf, and then by the powerful aid of her two attendants, dragged and carried to the Hotel near by.

The landlord who was waiting to receive his guests at once summoned a Chamber Maid to convey this poor Lady, who, as the French woman said, had almost died, to a room. In a second, the wraps and clothing were torn off my mother, in an incredibly short time, the invaluable lace she had unwittingly landed free of duty, was unrolled, and quickly placed in the capacious pockets of the women's gowns who having laid their unwilling assistant on her bed, left the apartment, wishing her "bon repos" and laughingly thanked her. What her state was, when joined soon after by my father, and what was his furious wrath and indignation, I cannot describe.

...For many years after the episode narrated, smuggling continued until the abolition of heavy duties on foreign commodities, rendered it no longer profitable to risk life or liberty for gain.

Peckham Fair and Norwood gypsies:

Early in 1827 when the Fair was held at Peckham our three servants were allowed to take William and me to see the wonderful shows, and buy gilt gingerbread, great figures of people and animals made of gingerbread, covered with gilding. Somehow the servants forgot me, and I strayed away. When it was time to go, to their horror, I was missing. The fair was searched through, and as we were so well known, it was soon every one's affair that "little Miss Mary was lost". Jane Salmon ran home to Hanover House, to see if I had gone back to my mother, another to Uncle George's lest I should have walked away to my Aunt. But no one had seen me.

By this time our village constable and the shop keepers were all excited and no one knew what to do. At last some person who had been in the Fair said they noticed a little girl, who was dressed nicely, following a Gipsy woman on towards the Old Kent Road, and who was picking up colored straws. At that time the Gipsies were dreaded, numbers lived about in the woods where Norwood and Sydenham now stand in their bricks and mortar, and children were supposed to be kidnapped by them and robbed of their clothes.

All the people with our servants therefore hastened in the direction named, and about two miles from Peckham a child was descried in the then lonely road, and a Gipsy in the distance. Directly the woman saw the little group of people she fled with such rapidity that no one could overtake her, and I was captured by our James, and carried home, to be alternately petted and scolded, no doubt.

You absolutely have to...could even feature in a song or two...Highwaymen in Peckham would be a great name for an album.....

This is a song in itself!
the poor passenger could not be soothed, the roar of the sea, the straining of the ship, the creaking of cordage, the stamping of Sailors over head on the deck, shouting and vociferating as the ship pitched forward in the waves, so absolutely distracted her, she could but call for her husband and entreat the French woman to go and fetch him, very soon, however, a change came, the horror of the surroundings was merged into another form of agony, the sea claimed its victim, and all minor ills were obliterated in the utter abandonment of Mal de Mer.

caused by the carelessness of the governess with a candle at night, when not sober.

I've been trying to find out more about this. The only detailed account I can find online of the Custom House fire of 1814 is this one, which mentions the fire starting a flue in a room near to where the housekeeper Miss Kelly had her dwellings. However, this was published very soon after the event, so perhaps the full details weren't yet known. Miss Kelly though was still resident at the rebuilt Custom House in 1836 when her dwellings were broken into during a burglary, although she died shortly after.

I've been trying to find out more about this. The only detailed account I can find online of the Custom House fire of 1814 is this one, which mentions the fire starting a flue in a room near to where the housekeeper Miss Kelly had her dwellings. However, this was published very soon after the event, so perhaps the full details weren't yet known. Miss Kelly though was still resident at the rebuilt Custom House in 1836 when her dwellings were broken into during a burglary, although she died shortly after.
Well, Mary Woolley is reporting very much second hand as it happened before she was born. She strikes me as someone who liked a good story too. I wouldn't like to vouch for the absolute accuracy of them all.

This is great reading. Thanks. It would be great to get it all out there.

Were they considered a wealthy family at the time?

This is great reading. Thanks. It would be great to get it all out there.

Were they considered a wealthy family at the time?

I thought that as they had servants, but servants were a lot more common then, unlike now, although I suppose childminders, cleaners etc. have sort of replaced them

Well, Mary Woolley is reporting very much second hand as it happened before she was born. She strikes me as someone who liked a good story too. I wouldn't like to vouch for the absolute accuracy of them all.

I googled Mary Woolley, but without knowing more about her (ie. relatives names etc.) hard to know where to look, but I did stumble upon this Woolley family off down under. Maybe not related, but interesting story nevertheless

http://midlife-journey.blogspot.co.uk/p/woolley-family-history.html

There's this one as well, and now it seems there were two sisters. Maybe the other sister was mistaken as one of the servants spoken about in other accounts? Oh, the servants were two orphaned girls in her service. They died

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=q68UAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA191&lpg=PA191&dq="custom house" and fire and kelly and 1814&source=bl&ots=imUVfg_GbK&sig=QHwma08szTedZ4j7nWBTM2ULG_A&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xSuyUIKaHIKH4ASj6YHADA&ved=0CEkQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q="custom house" and fire and kelly and 1814&f=false

I think you should approach publishers. There's a great market for this kind of memoir - especially written with such humour. I can see it forming the basis for a "larkrise..." style bbc Sunday evening drama.

I need to get my cousin's permission and talk to her about it first, but I'm thinking although it'd be good to make a website or blog for it so it's googleable, it'd also be good to make it available as an e-book for ease of reading :hmm:

wondering atm if it could be included into one of the online archives.

but IMO, the easiest way to do anyhting with it would be if you have access to a book scanner that will convert it to pdf. i know some uni libraries have them, and i do know that you could just sign in via public access into my uni library and get to use this. i'm a bit far away, but it's feasable that there is somewhere a lot closer where you could do that.

Back
Top Bottom