Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Has anyone got a REALLY simple chocolate cake recipe?

winterinmoscow

Returning Poster
I really need tp find the simplest, most fool-proof chocolate cake recipe in creation.

I volunteered to make afriend a birthday cake, and only realised later that I have never made a cake in my life!

I've got enough time to do a trial run, but I've looked online and all the recipes (particular on the BBC website) look well complicated.

Can anyone help??

Thanks!

Tesco value sponge mix, 21p add coco powder and an egg with some water and you're good to go.
They also do butter cream filling :D

DJ Bigga said:
Tesco value sponge mix, 21p add coco powder and an egg with some water and you're good to go.
They also do butter cream filling :D

Thats just fuckin lazy

and WTF is in valuie sponge mix :eek:

You could get a Betty Crocker one though :D

110g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
110g butter
110g caster sugar
2 big eggs
1 tablespoon cocoa powder

Heat oven to 170 degrees.

Put all dry ingredients into a big bowl, mix and add other ingredients and mix (ideally with electric whisk) till all combined. Cook in oven for 30 mins in pre-greased pan (or pans)

Even easier if you do it imperial - 4oz of everything + 2 eggs :)

or you could do a mousse, even easier. 2oz of good choccy per egg.

whisk the eggwhites whilst the choccy melts. Then fold the melted choccy into the whites. Let it set. Put a bit of brandy on it when it has. Yum.

I realise that you don't do mousses for birthdays, but I just did this the other day for the first time, and I'm spreading the word.

Hang on..the Delia chocolate cake one is lovely...my daughter makes it regularly for birthdays...hang on and I'll find it

ooohhh thanks everyone. Perhaps I'll make several! No- way too ambitious but I'll start off with a basic cake. I want to do a mousse recipe sometime soon as well

from this site, is the easiest cake I've ever made. Always give it a whirl when unexpected chocoholics turn up.
Norma's Microwave Chocolate Cake said:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup of (Green & Black's) cocoa powder
  • 2/3 cup hot water, divided in two 1/3-cup portions
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons walnut oil (or other vegetable oil)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

In small microwaveable bowl, mix 1/3 cup hot water with the cocoa powder; microwave on high 45-50 seconds or until slightly thickened.

In medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add oil, remaining 1/3 cup water, egg, vanilla and chocolate mixture. Beat by hand until batter is smooth and well blended. Pour into prepared dish.

Microwave on high 5-6 minutes, until cake begins to pull away from side of dish. Some moist spots might remain but will finish cooking on standing. Let stand 5 minutes; invert onto serving plate.

The cayenne pepper is barely noticeable, but leaves eaters wondering what the secret ingredient is...

trashpony said:
110g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
110g butter
110g caster sugar
2 big eggs
1 tablespoon cocoa powder

Heat oven to 170 degrees.

Put all dry ingredients into a big bowl, mix and add other ingredients and mix (ideally with electric whisk) till all combined. Cook in oven for 30 mins in pre-greased pan (or pans)

Even easier if you do it imperial - 4oz of everything + 2 eggs :)

I can vouch for this one. My mum used it all the time and it's delicious! Even I have managed to make it loads of times without disaster.
:)

i've got a vegan chocolate banana cake recipe that's very easy and turns out a gorgeous cake (also very good for adapting for hash cake :D )... slightly adapted from one in a book a friend gave me, which was "some celebrity cook cooks veggie" so could poss be online, but if it's not i'll post up my version of it... the filling's really easy too (just consists of vegan margarine, icing sugar and cocoa powder beaten together) but makes it look proper "professional"... will post it in a bit...

Floh said:
Google "Nigella Lawson 'chocolate'" and find out why fatty multi-millionaire married her! :D

I've got that recipe too if you want it - but I don't think it's as failsafe as the 4442 one.

And it has the advantage of sounding like a football formation so I don't forget it (obviously a few too many players but right now, we could do with a bit of an advantage :( )

Back
Top Bottom