Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Harrow Borough vs DHFC (22 November)

pompeydunc

First game of the 2nd half of the season already....and it's not even December (although we've not played Witham or Enfield yet).

d. 11.32 Peckham Rye
a. 11.52 Clapham Junction
d. 12.01 Clapham Junction
a. 12.13 Shepherd's Bush
d. Central line to Northolt (20 minutes)

No decent pubs in the area, so Harvester for lunch by Northolt tube. Get a free starter here - http://www.harvester.co.uk/themandevillearmsnortholt/offers/

Then 1 mile walk to ground....

Done.

I got the train from Marylebone last time and got there really quickly. It's a rubbish ground in a rubbish location mind.

I think that trip may hold the record for the Most Fucked I've Been From The Night Before.

Train from Marylebone to Northolt Park is the quickest route, and it's the closest station, but the service is only hourly leaving at 39 mins past the hour and arriving at 53, so you need to be on the 1339 to make kick off giving you nearly an hour to kill before the match starts. The clubhouse is one of the better ones and is outside the ground just past the turnstiles. Trains back are at 55 past the hour, so once again inconvenient if you want to get away straight after the final whistle.

Dunc's route is probably the cheapest on an Oystercard as it avoids Zone 1, but I'll be on a Day Travelcard with Network Card discount which costs me £5.90 so my preferred route will be Piccadilly Line to South Harrow, which is around 20 mins walk or bus along the main road to Northolt Park station to halve the walking distance. On the way back I'll be breaking the journey at Acton Town to do a couple of microbrewery pubs. The Aeronaut (Laine Brewery) and the George & Dragon (Dragonfly Brewery) both in Acton High Street. The Aeronaut sounds barking mad:

http://www.aeronaut.pub/

http://dragonflybrewery.co.uk/

Observation from my last visit:

harrow-dulwich-hamlet-24.jpg

"I could be wrong, but I think maybe that bin is a bit small for the job."

More pics: http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2013/09/...let-lose-1-3-at-harrow-borough-7th-sept-2013/

I wouldn't saying we haven't been playing well. We certainly haven't played to our full potential yet, but we have had a lot of changes to the squad, and been unlucky with injuries. We haven't got a budget to bust and go out and sign anyone and everyone. Gavin is slowly but surely turning round his squad, and 'IN GAVIN I TRUST'. Believe me, when you've supported the Club as long as I have we've only really been a challenging Premier Division side for a couple of years in the mid-Seventies, under Jimmy Rose. A couple of years at the end of that decade when Alan Smith was manager. That a few exciting seasons under Frank Murphy in the mid-Nineties. Much of the rest has been a watchable struggle, with a bit of joy occasionally thrown in. Whereas, in the Gavin Rose era, we have improved our league position year after year. As I understand it, our budget is reasonable, but financially there's no way we can compete with the likes of your Margates & Maidstones. So, despite one or two disappointments this season Gavin is well on course to put Dulwich Hamlet into the Premier Division play-offs for the first time in our history, & our highest placing in the league this century.

Last edited:
We've got a settled back four which is completely different to last season's and probably a bit more solid, but we've lacked the creative cohesion of the past few seasons. Too many of the new midfielders and forwards haven't really come to the fore on a consistent basis so far, with the likes of Lodge, James, McDonald etc often unavailable, so that hasn't helped.

Saturday was very encouraging and for me the performances of Dixon & Koroma gave us a more solid spine. With Dixon generally sitting deep and playing a holding role I don't think it's a coincidence Carew had his best game for at least six weeks. He was able to get forward more in open play, seemed to grow in confidence, and had a hand in all three goals; that pass for Clunis to bag the second was fantastic. Until Saturday Koroma's only start was away to Maidstone the tightest defence in the league and with a 100% home record, so not an easy game for a new centre forward to shine, then at Not Police he came on at half time against another strong defensive side when the game was already slipping away. At Harrow I felt he gave our forward line a focal point with his strong running and position sense and also looked quick and skilful enough to work the flanks.

It's been a pattern under Gavin that his summer signings don't always work out, but he then finds different players to give us what we need once the season gets underway. And obviously it was great to see Harry Ottaway back on the field for the last fifteen minutes or so.

They sell chicken and chips in the same red and yellow box near my work in Orpington.

Back
Top Bottom