Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great set of photos of the 1980s London Underground when you could drink and smoke

Love this one, anyone know which station it is?

61.jpg

No, they've got rid of them all now. They used to close Angel sometimes on a Friday night because it was so bloody dangerous.

Were there loads of them? I only remember Angel being like that :confused:

Clapham Common used to frequently get closed in the mornings (I'm talking in the mid-80s when I lived there). I once waited for 9 trains and ended up going back to Tooting to get on a train to get to Bank.

Serious overcrowding problem there

Clapham North also had the same type of platform, and no doubt others on the line, but can't remember which

Fantastic pics,can remember how wonderfully grotty LU was compared with the current sanitised era

Angel platform

For years, the station regularly suffered from congestion, overcrowding and genuine fear in passengers due to the very narrow island platform (barely 12 feet (3.7 m) in width), which constituted a major safety issue.[5] Consequently, the station was comprehensively rebuilt, reopening in 1992.

No, they've got rid of them all now. They used to close Angel sometimes on a Friday night because it was so bloody dangerous.

Were there loads of them? I only remember Angel looking just like that.

I was right and wrong. Correct in naming the Claphams as having them, and wrong in assuming other stations had them. However, there are, but these are the only ones beneath ground level

53. The platforms at Clapham North

There are only two stations deep below ground with platforms like these: this one, and the next stop south on the Northern line, Clapham Common.

There was a documentary filmed around the old Angel station in 1989, I'm in it at the start - will find some footage later of a very young me emerging from the station

That link links to the underground blog where there is supposedly a film somewhere, but I don't have time to look

Back
Top Bottom