Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great hi-fi turntables you have loved

editor

hiraethified
Following on from the mention of the legendary Garrard SP25 in this thread, I thought it might be worth dedicating a thread to your prized turntables of yore.

Yes, I did have a SP25 and it was pretty good (apart from a fearsome rumble).

gerardsp25.gif

I always wanted a Goldring Lenco GL75 though:

gl75.gif

But my ultimate dream was for the Linn Sondek LP12. What a beaut!

linnsondek.gif

More here: http://www.rewindmuseum.com/vintageturntable.htm

Have always fancied a Garrard 301

shindo3.jpg

Or the reggae sound system favourite the Garrard 4HF

images

In plinth, modelled by King Stitt @ Studio 1

598651_283022685140835_1013289288_n.jpg

At the peak of my hi-fi-ness, I bought a second hand Roksan Xerxes. It weighed a ton and had a massive separate power supply. Something went wrong with it and it was so expensive to repair that I swapped it for a Rega Planar 3.
ROKSAN002.jpg

Only ever had two in 45 years and both are listed above , Garrard SP25 Mark 111 which saw me through my school years and longer until I saved enough for the Rega which I still use , I recently changed the stylus and Cartridge and it made a HUGE difference , I thought my ears had gone to cloth but £ 75 later and crystal clear again .

Have always fancied a Garrard 301

shindo3.jpg

Or the reggae sound system favourite the Garrard 4HF

images

In plinth, modelled by King Stitt @ Studio 1

598651_283022685140835_1013289288_n.jpg

Do my eyes deceive me, or is it set in a concrete plinth?
If so, clever idea, and cheaper than the posho carved granite ones you could buy!

Only ever had two in 45 years and both are listed above , Garrard SP25 Mark 111 which saw me through my school years and longer until I saved enough for the Rega which I still use , I recently changed the stylus and Cartridge and it made a HUGE difference , I thought my ears had gone to cloth but £ 75 later and crystal clear again .

Exactly the same here - A Garrard SP25 Mk III, then a Rega Planar III have served me very well for decades. :)

And the Garrard lived-on - After some years sitting in the loft, I gave it to a friend who was getting into vinyl and he got another good decade or-so out of it. :)

Dunno, sounds difficult to do though.

Not really, just make a negative mould including room for cabling etc, then pour your concrete. I've seen a few nice wooden plinths that were basically solid wood with a "seat" routed or chiselled out for the deck (and a few wooden "boxes", it has to be said), and a cable-way drilled, so it wouldn't be too complex to emulate that with concrete (or even a composite of acrylic resin and metal or stone particles, as sometimes used by sculptors) if you used a "lost mould" method.

I started with a Garrard SP25 Mk.III but then bought a See Revolver with a Linn Basik arm, finished in a gunmetal hammerite-like finish.
I still have it, but it needs a bit of a refurb to be usable again though.

see-revolver.jpg

Technics SL10. I love it, built like a tank, sounds great and has a linear tracking arm that you can raise with buttons so negates the shakey hand problem.
There's one in the MOMA collection.

tsl10.JPG

Not really, just make a negative mould including room for cabling etc, then pour your concrete.

Thats the bit I think would be very tricky! To make one that was accurate, functioned and looked nice would be a hell of a job I reckon.

Thats the bit I think would be very tricky! To make one that was accurate, functioned and looked nice would be a hell of a job I reckon.

"Looking nice" is easier nowadays than it used to be, though, as you can get various additives and colourants/pigments to add in with your sand and cement, that make smoothing and buffing easier.
But yeah, doing the dog-work of taking measurements and making test-moulds would be tedious (it used to be boring enough doing so for small objects!), and you have to be prepared to chuck your mould and start again, as the situation demands.

Just looking back through my old instruction manuals, probably the two best turntables I had (in terms of me liking how they worked) were a Dual CS-505 and a Pioneer PL-15.

Back
Top Bottom